Man Fatally Shoots School Bus Driver In Alabama, Takes Boy Hostage
January 30, 2013 8:29 PM EST
An identified man was holding a boy hostage in an underground bunker in Alabama after shooting the driver of a school bus fatally Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.
The standoff between the gunman and the police was continuing even in the early hours of Wednesday, and the authorities were negotiating with the gunman to free the child.
The incident happened near a church in Midland City, Alabama, Tuesday afternoon when the gunman boarded the bus carrying the school children.
The man reportedly asked all the children except the boy to get off the bus and grabbed the little one. The man shot at the driver of the bus four times when the latter tried to save the child. The attacker then carried the kid to a nearby underground bunker, CNN reported.
The driver later succumbed to his injuries.
The authorities were desperately trying to free the child and the negotiations were going on late in the night. The police evacuated the nearby houses for security reasons.
"We will continue to work diligently through the night in an effort to bring closure to this incident as quickly as possible," the Dale County Sheriff's Department told CNN at 11 p.m. CT.
The authorities had not released the details of the hostage but the sheriff’s office confirmed the presence of a child at the scene.
Meanwhile, CBS News reported that all the schools in the area would remain closed Wednesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar