Man Fatally Shoots School Bus Driver In Alabama, Takes Boy Hostage
January 30, 2013 8:29 PM EST
An identified man was holding a boy hostage in an underground bunker in Alabama after shooting the driver of a school bus fatally Tuesday afternoon, authorities said.
The standoff between the gunman and the police was continuing even in the early hours of Wednesday, and the authorities were negotiating with the gunman to free the child.
The incident happened near a church in Midland City, Alabama, Tuesday afternoon when the gunman boarded the bus carrying the school children.
The man reportedly asked all the children except the boy to get off the bus and grabbed the little one. The man shot at the driver of the bus four times when the latter tried to save the child. The attacker then carried the kid to a nearby underground bunker, CNN reported.
The driver later succumbed to his injuries.
The authorities were desperately trying to free the child and the negotiations were going on late in the night. The police evacuated the nearby houses for security reasons.
"We will continue to work diligently through the night in an effort to bring closure to this incident as quickly as possible," the Dale County Sheriff's Department told CNN at 11 p.m. CT.
The authorities had not released the details of the hostage but the sheriff’s office confirmed the presence of a child at the scene.
Meanwhile, CBS News reported that all the schools in the area would remain closed Wednesday.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Transfer News: FC Barcelona Shockingly Sign Valencia Defender [PHOTOS]
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
Join the Conversation
- Video of Kids Reaction to Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Goes Viral [Watch YouTube Clip]
- PM Tony Abbott’s Adviser Advocates Return of Using Cane to Discipline Students
- Survey Says 37% of Investors Consider Books, Magazines & Online Media as Best Sources of ‘Education’
- Fourth of July Guide On Do's and Don'ts On Firework Sounds For Your Dogs
- Students in Australia to Pay Higher University Fees Unless Tax is Increased
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Nexus 5 and Nexus 7 Android 5.0 L Material Design Coming with More Interface Changes
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE-A Android 4.4.2 KitKat Update Rolls Out: When to Hit Your Region
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- OnePlus One Android 4.4.4 KitKat and Android L Update Guide