Vettori Unlikely to be Fit for England Series
January 30, 2013 8:07 PM EST
Daniel Vettori is unlikely to recover from his Achilles injury in time to be fit for the home series against England, the New Zealand allrounder told local media.
Although aiming to play domestic one-day cricket at the end of February, Vettori said he would be unable to play any longer-form games in the leadup to the three-test series, which starts with the first match in Dunedin on March 6.
"I'm hoping to be available for selection for Northern Districts' one-day campaign, and then whatever happens from there happens," Vettori said in comments published by Fairfax Media on Wednesday, referring to his domestic side.
Northern Districts play their first match in New Zealand's local one-day competition on February 26.
"I won't be able to play any four-day cricket, so the test matches against England may be a stretch for me."
Vettori, New Zealand's most experienced international, said the return tour to England starting in May was a more realistic goal.
"But Achilles are funny things, they come and go with the pain and I need to prove to not only the selectors, but myself, that I can manage back-to-back days of cricket. That's the plan, but I'll just see how I go," the 34-year-old added.
Former captain Vettori hurt his foot at the World Twenty20 tournament in September and missed New Zealand's subsequent tours to Sri Lanka and South Africa.
New Zealand head into their home series against England a lowly eighth in the test rankings and after a demoralising 2-0 series loss away to the Proteas.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- Khloe Kardashian Sympathetic About Ex-Husband Lamar Odom in Recent Instagram Posts
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People