Vettori Unlikely to be Fit for England Series
January 30, 2013 8:07 PM EST
Daniel Vettori is unlikely to recover from his Achilles injury in time to be fit for the home series against England, the New Zealand allrounder told local media.
Although aiming to play domestic one-day cricket at the end of February, Vettori said he would be unable to play any longer-form games in the leadup to the three-test series, which starts with the first match in Dunedin on March 6.
"I'm hoping to be available for selection for Northern Districts' one-day campaign, and then whatever happens from there happens," Vettori said in comments published by Fairfax Media on Wednesday, referring to his domestic side.
Northern Districts play their first match in New Zealand's local one-day competition on February 26.
"I won't be able to play any four-day cricket, so the test matches against England may be a stretch for me."
Vettori, New Zealand's most experienced international, said the return tour to England starting in May was a more realistic goal.
"But Achilles are funny things, they come and go with the pain and I need to prove to not only the selectors, but myself, that I can manage back-to-back days of cricket. That's the plan, but I'll just see how I go," the 34-year-old added.
Former captain Vettori hurt his foot at the World Twenty20 tournament in September and missed New Zealand's subsequent tours to Sri Lanka and South Africa.
New Zealand head into their home series against England a lowly eighth in the test rankings and after a demoralising 2-0 series loss away to the Proteas.
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Guardiola Mockingly States That Man Utd Does Not Have The Means To Acquire Bayern Munich Players
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best