Vettori Unlikely to be Fit for England Series
January 30, 2013 8:07 PM EST
Daniel Vettori is unlikely to recover from his Achilles injury in time to be fit for the home series against England, the New Zealand allrounder told local media.
Although aiming to play domestic one-day cricket at the end of February, Vettori said he would be unable to play any longer-form games in the leadup to the three-test series, which starts with the first match in Dunedin on March 6.
"I'm hoping to be available for selection for Northern Districts' one-day campaign, and then whatever happens from there happens," Vettori said in comments published by Fairfax Media on Wednesday, referring to his domestic side.
Northern Districts play their first match in New Zealand's local one-day competition on February 26.
"I won't be able to play any four-day cricket, so the test matches against England may be a stretch for me."
Vettori, New Zealand's most experienced international, said the return tour to England starting in May was a more realistic goal.
"But Achilles are funny things, they come and go with the pain and I need to prove to not only the selectors, but myself, that I can manage back-to-back days of cricket. That's the plan, but I'll just see how I go," the 34-year-old added.
Former captain Vettori hurt his foot at the World Twenty20 tournament in September and missed New Zealand's subsequent tours to Sri Lanka and South Africa.
New Zealand head into their home series against England a lowly eighth in the test rankings and after a demoralising 2-0 series loss away to the Proteas.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Jennifer Lawrence & Nicholas Hoult Allegedly Split: Mad Max Actor Cheats with Kristen Stewart & Riley Keough - Reports
- Prince George Birthday: Adorable New Pictures of George Touching a Butterfly on William's Hand Released [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rugby Sevens Semis & Finals Live Stream, Schedule & Results – Commonwealth Games 2014
- A Beautiful Distraction: 5 Things You Need to Know About Sabina Altynbekova
- Boxing News 2014: 50 Cent Hits Mayweather Over Money Deal, Mocks Boxer in Instagram for Losing GF to Nelly
- Commonwealth Games 2014 Live Stream: Men’s & Women’s 100m Final, Athletics Schedule & Results Day 2
- Maria Sharapova Overtaken by Eugenie Bouchard in Poll of Sexiest Women in Tennis
- Apple iPhone 6 on Two Confirmed Release Dates, New Parts Leaked Suggesting Bigger iPhone to Come
- Google Nexus 6, 8 with Android L on Release Date Promises Killer Mobile Device Experience
- iPhone 6 Release Date Relevance to iOS Newbies: Specs Meaning, Price Considerations
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs OnePlusOne vs Nexus 5: Mi4 is the ‘Perfect’ Phone
- Israeli Women Stripping Naked for IDF Soldiers
- HTC One M8 Android 4.4.3 KitKat Update Roll Out, Introducing the HTC One Remix
- The Pirate Bay Releases ‘The Mobile Bay’: Mobile Torrent Download Made Easier but Remains Illegal