Nicholas Lovell Charged for Deaths of Hanham Cyclists Ross and Clare Simons
By Hannah Osborne | January 30, 2013 7:49 PM EST
Nicholas Lovell has been charged for the deaths of married couple Ross and Clare Simons, who were run down while cycling on Lower Hanham road near Bristol.
Lovell, from Oldland Common, was charged with death by dangerous driving and driving whilst disqualified.
He knocked the couple off their tandem bicycle on Sunday (27 January) before driving away. Both Ross and Clare died at the scene of the crash from their injuries.
The 38-year-old was also charged with driving with no insurance and failing to stop at the scene of a collision, after handing himself into the police within hours of the crash.
Lovell will appear before North Avon magistrates court today. After his arrest, police officers were given additional time to question him over the couple's death.
Following the incident, it emerged that Lovell, driving a Citroen Picasso, was travelling along the road at speed.
A police officer indicated for the car to stop but he sped away - the officer pursued him but lost sight of him almost immediately.
The families of Ross, 34, and Clare, 30, issued a statement about the couple: "Both of our families are completely devastated by the tragic events that took Ross and Clare from us.
"A very special couple have been taken from us and we have no words to describe our loss. We would all appreciate it if our privacy was respected at this difficult time in order for us to grieve as a family."
The couple met in 2001 and were married around 18 months ago. Friends said they were due to start IVF treatment to have a baby.
Ross's sister, Kelly Woodruff, said: "They were special people who had special qualities. They were the perfect couple. They loved each other unconditionally - they were absolutely made for each other."
They had bought the tandem bike just before Christmas, having always wanted one.
Following their deaths, police also arrested a 35-year-old woman in connection with the crash and she remains on police bail pending further enquiries.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Update: Australians Unveil New Map To Find The Missing Plane
- Court Grants Indian Man Divorce Over Wife’s Insatiable Sex Demands
- Surge in UFO Sightings in Queensland Observed; Gold Coast 'Hot Spot' of UFO Encounters
- ISIS Threat: Australia Terror Alert Level at 'Medium' as Saudi King Warns of Attacks in Europe in a Month
- Jennifer Lawrence Nude Photos Leak Raises Doubts on Apple's iCloud; How to Secure Apple ID
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers