Nicholas Lovell Charged for Deaths of Hanham Cyclists Ross and Clare Simons
By Hannah Osborne | January 30, 2013 7:49 PM EST
Nicholas Lovell has been charged for the deaths of married couple Ross and Clare Simons, who were run down while cycling on Lower Hanham road near Bristol.
Lovell, from Oldland Common, was charged with death by dangerous driving and driving whilst disqualified.
He knocked the couple off their tandem bicycle on Sunday (27 January) before driving away. Both Ross and Clare died at the scene of the crash from their injuries.
The 38-year-old was also charged with driving with no insurance and failing to stop at the scene of a collision, after handing himself into the police within hours of the crash.
Lovell will appear before North Avon magistrates court today. After his arrest, police officers were given additional time to question him over the couple's death.
Following the incident, it emerged that Lovell, driving a Citroen Picasso, was travelling along the road at speed.
A police officer indicated for the car to stop but he sped away - the officer pursued him but lost sight of him almost immediately.
The families of Ross, 34, and Clare, 30, issued a statement about the couple: "Both of our families are completely devastated by the tragic events that took Ross and Clare from us.
"A very special couple have been taken from us and we have no words to describe our loss. We would all appreciate it if our privacy was respected at this difficult time in order for us to grieve as a family."
The couple met in 2001 and were married around 18 months ago. Friends said they were due to start IVF treatment to have a baby.
Ross's sister, Kelly Woodruff, said: "They were special people who had special qualities. They were the perfect couple. They loved each other unconditionally - they were absolutely made for each other."
They had bought the tandem bike just before Christmas, having always wanted one.
Following their deaths, police also arrested a 35-year-old woman in connection with the crash and she remains on police bail pending further enquiries.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Jealous, Duchess Reportedly Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone