Nicholas Lovell Charged for Deaths of Hanham Cyclists Ross and Clare Simons
By Hannah Osborne | January 30, 2013 7:49 PM EST
Nicholas Lovell has been charged for the deaths of married couple Ross and Clare Simons, who were run down while cycling on Lower Hanham road near Bristol.
Lovell, from Oldland Common, was charged with death by dangerous driving and driving whilst disqualified.
He knocked the couple off their tandem bicycle on Sunday (27 January) before driving away. Both Ross and Clare died at the scene of the crash from their injuries.
The 38-year-old was also charged with driving with no insurance and failing to stop at the scene of a collision, after handing himself into the police within hours of the crash.
Lovell will appear before North Avon magistrates court today. After his arrest, police officers were given additional time to question him over the couple's death.
Following the incident, it emerged that Lovell, driving a Citroen Picasso, was travelling along the road at speed.
A police officer indicated for the car to stop but he sped away - the officer pursued him but lost sight of him almost immediately.
The families of Ross, 34, and Clare, 30, issued a statement about the couple: "Both of our families are completely devastated by the tragic events that took Ross and Clare from us.
"A very special couple have been taken from us and we have no words to describe our loss. We would all appreciate it if our privacy was respected at this difficult time in order for us to grieve as a family."
The couple met in 2001 and were married around 18 months ago. Friends said they were due to start IVF treatment to have a baby.
Ross's sister, Kelly Woodruff, said: "They were special people who had special qualities. They were the perfect couple. They loved each other unconditionally - they were absolutely made for each other."
They had bought the tandem bike just before Christmas, having always wanted one.
Following their deaths, police also arrested a 35-year-old woman in connection with the crash and she remains on police bail pending further enquiries.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Finale Spoilers: Kurt Sutter On Ending The Biker Series And Picking The Right Song For The Final Ride
- Prince Charles’ Wife Camilla Parker-Bowles In Drug Scandal - Reports
- Prince Harry Kissing Mystery Blond, Cressida Bonas & Camilla Thurlow Are Distant Memory
- St. Louis Rams 28, Seattle Seahawks 26 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Spotted All Smiles, Sickness Seems Over
- 14 Contestants For Miss Hitler 2014 Beauty Pageant Organised By Russian Equivalent Of Facebook
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Slooh To Have Live Broadcast Of Orionids Meteor Shower October 21 Peak, NASA Assures Ideal Observing Conditions
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Baby's Character Revealed, No Twins For the Duchess---Report
- 63-Year-Old Admits He Has Made Love To More Than 700 Cars But Now Remains Faithful To Just One Beetle
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage