Nicholas Lovell Charged for Deaths of Hanham Cyclists Ross and Clare Simons
By Hannah Osborne | January 30, 2013 7:49 PM EST
Nicholas Lovell has been charged for the deaths of married couple Ross and Clare Simons, who were run down while cycling on Lower Hanham road near Bristol.
Lovell, from Oldland Common, was charged with death by dangerous driving and driving whilst disqualified.
He knocked the couple off their tandem bicycle on Sunday (27 January) before driving away. Both Ross and Clare died at the scene of the crash from their injuries.
The 38-year-old was also charged with driving with no insurance and failing to stop at the scene of a collision, after handing himself into the police within hours of the crash.
Lovell will appear before North Avon magistrates court today. After his arrest, police officers were given additional time to question him over the couple's death.
Following the incident, it emerged that Lovell, driving a Citroen Picasso, was travelling along the road at speed.
A police officer indicated for the car to stop but he sped away - the officer pursued him but lost sight of him almost immediately.
The families of Ross, 34, and Clare, 30, issued a statement about the couple: "Both of our families are completely devastated by the tragic events that took Ross and Clare from us.
"A very special couple have been taken from us and we have no words to describe our loss. We would all appreciate it if our privacy was respected at this difficult time in order for us to grieve as a family."
The couple met in 2001 and were married around 18 months ago. Friends said they were due to start IVF treatment to have a baby.
Ross's sister, Kelly Woodruff, said: "They were special people who had special qualities. They were the perfect couple. They loved each other unconditionally - they were absolutely made for each other."
They had bought the tandem bike just before Christmas, having always wanted one.
Following their deaths, police also arrested a 35-year-old woman in connection with the crash and she remains on police bail pending further enquiries.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family