Indian Shares Edge Higher; Sensex Above 20K Level
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 7:39 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading with gains in the afternoon session on Wednesday as gains in realty and consumer durables sector offered support.
The 30-share BSE Sensex advanced 0.08 percent or 16.77 points to 20,007.67, and the 50-share NSE Nifty rose 0.13 percent or 7.90 points to 6,057.80.
Markets opened on a positive note, tracking gains in Asian peers as local corporate earnings and economic reports buoyed sentiment. Asian markets advanced Wednesday, with Japanese Nikkei climbing 2.28 percent after official data showed that retail sales in the world’s third largest economy increased 0.4 percent on annual basis in December, down from the 1.2 percent gain in the previous month but topped Reuters estimation for a 0.3 percent rise.
Meanwhile, data released by the Korea National Statistical Office showed that South Korea’s industrial production rose 1 percent in December compared to that in the previous month as a rise in domestic demand offset the weakness in export orders.
Banking sector shares recovered after declining in the previous session on profit booking. Banking sector shares advanced Tuesday after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cut its key interest rate for the first time in nine months to boost economic growth but profit booking in the later session pulled the stocks lower.
Axis Bank surged 2.11 percent and Kotak Mahindra Bank gained 1.46 percent while Yes Bank rose 1.42 percent.
Among the sectoral indices in BSE, realty and consumer durables sectors gained 1.63 percent and 1.45 percent, respectively, while capital goods and power sectors fell 1.11 percent and 0.62 percent, respectively.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1129 advanced against 1507 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index declined 0.02 percent to 6,934.46 and Smallcap Index fell 0.20 percent to 7,082.42. CNX midcap Index declined 0.37 percent and CNX IT fell 0.02 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
Join the Conversation
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People