Indian Shares Edge Higher; Sensex Above 20K Level
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 7:39 PM EST
Indian stock markets were trading with gains in the afternoon session on Wednesday as gains in realty and consumer durables sector offered support.
The 30-share BSE Sensex advanced 0.08 percent or 16.77 points to 20,007.67, and the 50-share NSE Nifty rose 0.13 percent or 7.90 points to 6,057.80.
Markets opened on a positive note, tracking gains in Asian peers as local corporate earnings and economic reports buoyed sentiment. Asian markets advanced Wednesday, with Japanese Nikkei climbing 2.28 percent after official data showed that retail sales in the world’s third largest economy increased 0.4 percent on annual basis in December, down from the 1.2 percent gain in the previous month but topped Reuters estimation for a 0.3 percent rise.
Meanwhile, data released by the Korea National Statistical Office showed that South Korea’s industrial production rose 1 percent in December compared to that in the previous month as a rise in domestic demand offset the weakness in export orders.
Banking sector shares recovered after declining in the previous session on profit booking. Banking sector shares advanced Tuesday after the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) cut its key interest rate for the first time in nine months to boost economic growth but profit booking in the later session pulled the stocks lower.
Axis Bank surged 2.11 percent and Kotak Mahindra Bank gained 1.46 percent while Yes Bank rose 1.42 percent.
Among the sectoral indices in BSE, realty and consumer durables sectors gained 1.63 percent and 1.45 percent, respectively, while capital goods and power sectors fell 1.11 percent and 0.62 percent, respectively.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1129 advanced against 1507 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index declined 0.02 percent to 6,934.46 and Smallcap Index fell 0.20 percent to 7,082.42. CNX midcap Index declined 0.37 percent and CNX IT fell 0.02 percent.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed