European Stocks Steady ahead of Fed's Policy Decision
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | January 30, 2013 7:12 PM EST
The UK's FTSE 100, Spain's IBEX and France's CAC-40 remained little changed. Italy's FTSE MIB was up 0.4 percent while Germany's DAX gained 0.1 percent. The pan-European FTSEurofirst 300 index remained little changed at 1,177.63.
The single currency jumped to a 21-month high against the yen, trading at 122.94 yen while remaining firm against the dollar at about $1.35.
Asian markets had closed higher earlier as domestic quarterly earnings reports boosted sentiments ahead of the Fed's decision.
China's Shanghai Composite Index gained 1 percent to 2382.47 while Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.74 percent to 23831.05 towards close.
Analysts expect the economy to expand 1 percent, down from the 3.1 percent in the third quarter considering the fiscal uncertainties caused by the natural calamities like superstorm Sandy towards the end of 2012.
But this is not expected to prompt the Fed into further action at the moment, given the recent improvement in sentiments. However, traders will be looking for hints on QE3's termination date.
"Friday's nonfarm payroll report will be more influential," said Adam Chester, head of UK macroeconomics at Lloyds Bank.
"Having increased the pace of open-ended QE to $85bn (£53bn, $62bn) per month in December, and with no press conference scheduled, the Fed looks almost certain to keep policy on hold".
In Spain, Catalonia has asked for an extra €9bn in bailout money from the Spanish central bank, citing debts and deficit reduction goals. The amount adds to the €5bn that the region had requested earlier. It also comes just a month after the region's leaders promised to hold a referendum on independence.
Eurozone business and consumer confidence figures are set for release during the day.
Domestic corporate quarterly earnings dominated Asian market sentiments. In South Korea, chip manufacturer SK Hynix ended 0.62 percent higher after the company reported a fourth quarter net profit, mainly due to higher demand for Microsoft's Windows 8 phone chips.
Earnings reports were mixed in Japan. Yahoo Japan rose 17.14 percent after reporting strong performance supported by advertising revenues. Komatsu gained 2.18 percent despite the firm reporting a 28 percent profit drop, and slashed its growth forecast. Fujifilm Holidngs struggled, but managed to rise into the green after reporting lower-than-expected quarterly figures.
Meanwhile, official figures from Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry showed that the country's retail sales rose 0.4 percent year-on-year in December, down from the 1.2 percent registered in the previous month.
In South Korea, sentiments were further boosted after official data showed that the country's industrial output advanced for the fourth straight month in December. Output in mining, manufacturing, gas and electricity industries gained 1 percent from the previous month, down from the 2.6 percent gain in November, but beating expectations of a contraction.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
Join the Conversation
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports