Asian Stocks Gain on Earnings Outlook and Fed's Decision
By Prasanth Aby Thomas | January 30, 2013 3:10 PM EST
Asian markets traded higher in the morning as investors speculated on local corporate earnings reports and economic indicators ahead of US Federal Reserve's policy decision.
Japan's Nikkei average climbed 1.10 percent or 119.78 points to 10986.50 while South Korea's KOSPI rose 0.24 percent or 4.66 points to 1960.62. Australia's S&P/ASX 200 added 0.22 percent or 10.60 points to 4899.60, extending the 21-month peak.
China's Shanghai Composite Index gained 0.26 percent or 6.19 points to 2365.16 while Hong Kong's Hang Seng rose 0.98 percent or 230.78 points to 23885.95.
The stage was set for a positive session in the region after Wall Street closed higher earlier. The Fed is set to conclude its two-day policy meet later in the day and investors remain cautious on the central bank's decision, considering the recent economic improvements. US fourth-quarter gross domestic product figures are also set for release before the nonfarm payrolls data expected later this week.
"There is a possibility that Bernanke and the boys may decide to reduce the asset-purchasing programme from its current $45-billion-a-month level," said Derek McGuire, marketing executive at IG Markets in Singapore.
"And the data coming out of the US is definitely painting a much healthier picture of the economy to justify such a move".
The corporate earnings season in the world's largest economy continued to be in focus across Asia but in Japan, domestic corporate results dominated trading sentiments. Mobile service provider Softbank advanced 1.5 percent after the Nikkei daily suggested that the company could post a 10 percent improvement in operating profit.
Its competitor KDDI Corp, which had posted a 40 percent improvement in operating profit early this week, was up 1.5 percent as well. Yet another wireless carrier NTT DoCoMo was up 0.45 percent despite a Nikkei report suggesting that the company could post a 9 percent fall in operating profit.
Central Japan railway, which registered a 49 percent jump in nine-month operating profits, gained 6.32 percent. Yahoo Japan Corp climbed 15.41 percent after hiking its full year earnings forecast.
Meanwhile, data from Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry showed that retail sales in the country gained 0.4 percent year-on-year in December, down from the 1.2 percent gain in the previous month. This was more than the 0.3 percent estimated by a Reuters analysts' poll.
The yen continued to remain weak against the dollar. The greenback hovered around the 91 yen mark.
South Korean investor sentiments were boosted after official figures showed that the country's industrial output advanced for the fourth straight month in December. Output in mining, manufacturing, gas and electricity industries gained 1 percent from the previous month, down from the 2.6 percent gain in November, but beating expectations of a contraction.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Unidentified Benefactor Offers $30M Reward For Identity Of MH 17 Bombers; MAS Criticises Kiwi Author For Suggesting MH 370 Pilot Plotted Death Of Passengers & Crew
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon September 18, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 19, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday September 18, 2014
- Financial Intelligence Agency Suspends Sydney Remittance Firm Over Suspicions It Is Used To Finance Terrorism In Middle East
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best