Apple Releases iPad 4 with 128GB Storage Amidst iPad 5 Rumors: Where to Buy and How Much?
By Kristin Dian Mariano | January 30, 2013 1:12 PM EST
The tablet will have a capacity of 128GB compared with the current model, which comes with 16GB, 32GB or 64GB. Nothing else has changed, so this remains a fourth-generation iPad rather than an entire new model.
Does this mean that iPad 5 is not coming anytime soon?
The new models cost in at $799 for the Wi-Fi only, or $929 for the version with 4G LTE connectivity. That's $100 more than the 64GB model, which is $100 more than the 32GB model, which is $100 more than the 16GB iPad. The end result is that Apple can make a healthy profit on those buying the top-of-the-line model, with nearly all of it coming from the storage.
All versions of the 128GB iPad will be sold through the Apple Online Store, Apple retail stores and select Apple Authorized Resellers. There is a chance that the device will also land on online resellers such as eBay and Amazon.
"With twice the storage capacity and an unparalleled selection of over 300,000 native iPad apps, enterprises, educators and artists have even more reasons to use iPad for all their business and personal needs," said Apple senior vice president of marketing Philip Schiller.
Apple, which has sold 120 million iPads worldwide, quoted several web application developers who said the additional memory capacity would allow businesses to better serve clients in conceptual design, music recordings and sports strategy.
Increasing the storage is a way of Apple in expanding its consumer base and to retain its notoriety in the market.
Last year, iPad remained as the dominant tablet in Australia holding 62 percent of the tablet market. Android accounts to 36 percent of the market. However, it is expected to increase with the release of the new mobile software Android Jelly Bean. Android devices also contribute in increasing the popularity of Google's software.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced