Asteroid Makes 'Record-setting' Close Approach in February - NASA [VIDEO]
By Arlene Paredes | January 30, 2013 11:55 AM EST
Asteroid 2012 DA14 will fly by Earth on Feb. 15 in a "record-setting close approach," just 17,200 miles above the planet's surface, says NASA. The report came barely three weeks after another near-Earth asteroid had whizzed past the planet. Only this time, the space agency is certain the asteroid will be harmless.
"Mayan calendar doomsday" believers typically get anxious when asteroid reports surface, but NASA had set the record straight that Asteroid 2012 DA14 will not impact Earth.
When the flyby of asteroid Apophis was being anticipated by scientists early this month, experts wanted to rule out the possibility of the asteroid making an impact on Earth. Initial data showed a 2036 impact had a small chance of happening. Researchers heaved a sigh of relief when the latest data revealed Apophis no longer posed any risk on the planet in the coming years.
This time, NASA already has sufficient information on the orbit of the asteroid called, "2012 DA14." Its orbit does not place Earth at risk. But it will be closer to the planet than many man-made satellites. Observers with backyard telescopes will be able to see the space object.
"2012 DA14 will definitely not hit Earth," said Don Yeomans of NASA's Near Earth Object Program at JPL. "The orbit of the asteroid is known well enough to rule out an impact."
The near-Earth asteroid 2012 DA14 measures about 50 meters wide. Yeomans noted a similar-sized object had impacted Earth and formed the mile wide Meteor Crater in Arizona about 50,000 years ago. But NASA stressed 2012 DA14 will not hit Earth.
"The odds of an impact with a satellite are extremely remote," Yeoman said, meaning the asteroid's orbit is supposed to be clear of any man-made object, as well.
VIDEO: Record-Setting Asteroid Flyby (ScienceAtNASA)
"I wonder how many superstitious idiots that were afraid of the Mayan Apocalypse know about DA14? Ignorance is not only bliss,but sadly popular," reads one comment on YouTube.
"Not being paranoid here, merely curious. What would be the effect if 2012= DA14 were to strike the earth, land in the ocean? I imagine tidal waves of some sort," reads another comment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- MH370 Search Efforts Not Affected by MH17 Recovery; Australia Still Committed to Solving Mystery
- Australian Woman Charged for Adultery in Lebanon for Visiting Boyfriend
- Another Aviation Disaster: Taiwan Plane Crashes, Passengers Aboard Feared Dead [PHOTO]
- Humans at Their Worst: MH17 Victims' Credit Cards Used in Ukraine, Phones 'Answered' by Strangers
- 'Dronies' to Become Latest Trend as Tourism New Zealand Buys Drone to Record Tourists' Videos
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports