Melbourne Mulls Smoking Ban in All Public Places
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 30, 2013 11:32 AM EST
New Councilor Richard Foster is pushing for a total ban on smoking in public places throughout the city of Melbourne. The planned prohibition would include Bourke Street, City Square and even footpaths.
In justifying the planned ban, Mr Foster said that cutting the impact of smoking would help make Melbourne healthier.
"We have extended (no-smoking) boundaries around play areas, we have extended boundaries around childcare centres and hospitals, it is about time that we actually made it simpler for smokers and healthier for everybody else . . . just ban it outright and be done with it," Mr Foster was quoted by The Age.
Some of Melbourne councilors are backing the proposed wider ban, which would be on top of plain cigarette packaging law that is now being implemented across Australia since December 2012.
The councilor said he expected some legal challenge to the expanded smoking ban and some resistance, but he believes the move would have very strong support from the council and the public.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Use Of ‘Iggy Azalea’ On Porn Site Shall Constitute Crime
- Islamic State: British PM Cameron To Call For Air Strike After Militants Beheaded David Haines
- Vatican Car Has Cocaine and Cannabis
- Islamic State: UK Admits It Has No Power To Save Briton Alan Henning’s Head From Being Chopped
- Sydney Police Intercept $75M Worth Of Drugs In Frozen Fish Disguised As Liquid In Ice Packs
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date