Coachella 2013: 20 Acts To Catch At The Festival [PLAYLIST/LISTEN]
By Charles Poladian | January 30, 2013 11:12 AM EST
Coachella has announced its 2013 lineup, headlined by the Stone Roses, Blur, Phoenix and the Red Hot Chili Peppers. Festival passes are selling fast, but if you’re still on the fence, here are 20 acts that may persuade you to book a trip to Indio, Calif.
Coachella 2013 will take place over two weekends, as it did in 2012, on April 12-14 and April 19-21. Three-day passes for the first weekend are already sold out, while passes for the second weekend will surely go by the end of the week. While the headliners are what usually draw tens of thousands of festival goers to one destination, the real value is the undercard. What acts during the day are worth seeing? What will you do while you wait for one of the big names? If there is nothing of interest, spending hours under a hot desert sun will definitely be unappealing.
Luckily Coachella 2013 has plenty of value from top to bottom. At the top of the bill, The xx, Lou Reed, the return of the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Sigur Ros, The Postal Service reunion, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds, New Order and Modest Mouse are established acts that will have plenty of fans, but there are even more acts that fans should check out.
Dog Blood is the side project of Skrillex and Boys Noize, and fans of electronic music will want to check them out. With just two songs released, the project is still a bit of a mystery, which makes checking out their debut performance a must. For EDM fans, TNGHT fits the bill and could be a great dance tent experience.
Speaking of new projects, Trent Reznor’s new band, How to Destroy Angels, will also be performing at Coachella. If you want to catch The Lumineers, be sure to check out Of Monsters and Men.
There will be plenty of interesting indie acts to check out at Coachella 2013 too. DIIV released a fantastic album in 2012 and will be playing early in the day, as will Kurt Vile and the Violators. There are also plenty of young acts to check out, including Polica, Jake Bugg, Grimes, Youth Lagoon and Purity Ring. All these acts, save for Grimes, have only album out, while Bugg has yet to release his debut.
Cloud Nothings made plenty of noise with “Attack on Memory” last year and will be surely be testing new material. Savages offer some angular post-punk and in the heat, there will be plenty of sweaty of bodies watching the chaotic set.
If your tastes don’t lean towards indie, Coachella offers plenty of diversity. The hip-hop-soul fusion of Jessie Ware will be a great act to see. The UK singer has been generating plenty of hype and will be playing one of her biggest shows to date. Similar in style, Alex Clare may be worth a visit especially to hear “Too Close,” which everyone has heard from those Bing commercials.
The Airborne Toxic Event and Father John Misty are great live acts and will definitely entertain the crowds that stop by to watch their sets. The same could be said for Divine Fits, a “supergroup” of sorts made up by Britt Daniel, lead singer of Spoon, and Dan Boeckner, formerly of Wolf Parade.
For the hip-hop and rap inclined, Coachella 2013 offers plenty of value as well. Action Bronson, 2 Chainz, Janelle Monae and Theophilus London are all set to play the festival.
The playlist for these 20 acts can be listened to below. This is just a small sample of what Coachella 2013 offers, and fans should take the time between now and April to discover new acts that will play the festival to guarantee the best experience possible.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘The Young And The Restless’ (Y&R) Nov. 26 Spoilers: Victoria Finds Who The Father Of Her Child Is And Jack And Phyllis Rekindle Romance
- Kate Middleton Cries As She Listens To A Moving Tale Of A Mother Who Lost Her Infant Daughter
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Finale Recap: And The Winner Is…[Spoilers]
- Kris Jenner Shocks Boyfriend Corey Gamble In The Bedroom With Her Tricks And Fabulous Sex Life
- 'The Bold And The Beautiful' Spoilers For Nov. 26, 2014, The Forrester Mansion Is All Decked Out For Thanksgiving With Family And Friends [WATCH VIDEO]
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid