Joe Flacco Apologizes For Calling Cold-Weather Super Bowl 'Retarded'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 9:51 AM EST
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco apologized after calling the idea of holding a Super Bowl in cold weather “retarded.”
Flacco, who will be under center when the Ravens take on the San Francisco 49ers Sunday in Super Bowl XLVII, was asked what he thought about having a Super Bowl in cold weather.
“Yeah, I think it’s retarded,’’ he said, according to the Baltimore Sun. “I guess I shouldn’t say that [word]. I think it’s stupid. If you want to have a Super Bowl, put a retractable dome on your stadium, then you can get one. Other than that, I don’t really like the idea. I don’t think it would suit us badly. I think we would react very well to it and would be glad to play anybody in that kind of weather. I can’t see that really being a good idea.”
The Super Bowl has either been played indoors or at in a domed stadium. Sunday’s Super Bowl will be played in the Superdome in New Orleans, hardly a wintry city. Last year’s game was played in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, which has a dome.
Flacco has since apologized for using “retarded” in his comment.
"Obviously, it was a bad choice of words. I wish I hadn't said it," the former University of Delaware quarterback said Tuesday, according to NFL.com. "I have a great relationship with Special Olympics back in Baltimore and have had one for many years. I didn't mean to offend anybody, but I definitely apologize for it."
Some football purists would like to see the big game played in a cold weather city that doesn’t have a dome, where weather conditions can influence the game.
But Flacco does not hold that view.
“Imagine being in 10-degree weather and snow. Have fun,” he said.
Before Flacco made his apology, Twitter users ripped into the Ravens quarterback for his poor choice of words.
“Joe Flacco described an outdoor superbowl in the cold as ‘retarded’ and the dude wonders why nobody likes him,” tweeted Taylor Rosen.
“Lost a lot of respect for joe flacco using ‘retarded’ on national tv. Kids are gunna watch that and think its okay. #goniners,” wrote Dylan Sherman, a special education major at Western Kentucky University.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: Argentina vs. Philippines Preview, Starting Lineups
- UFC News: Rhonda Rousey To Avenge Teammates, Demands Bethe Correia
- 2014 FIBA World Cup Group B: Greece vs. Philippines Live Streaming Info, Betting Odds and Preview
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Live Streaming Info: USA vs. Turkey Preview, Starting Lineups [VIDEO]
- 2014 US Open: Down Goes Maria Sharapova, BF Grigor Dimitrov Advances
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen