Joe Flacco Apologizes For Calling Cold-Weather Super Bowl 'Retarded'
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 9:51 AM EST
Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco apologized after calling the idea of holding a Super Bowl in cold weather “retarded.”
Flacco, who will be under center when the Ravens take on the San Francisco 49ers Sunday in Super Bowl XLVII, was asked what he thought about having a Super Bowl in cold weather.
“Yeah, I think it’s retarded,’’ he said, according to the Baltimore Sun. “I guess I shouldn’t say that [word]. I think it’s stupid. If you want to have a Super Bowl, put a retractable dome on your stadium, then you can get one. Other than that, I don’t really like the idea. I don’t think it would suit us badly. I think we would react very well to it and would be glad to play anybody in that kind of weather. I can’t see that really being a good idea.”
The Super Bowl has either been played indoors or at in a domed stadium. Sunday’s Super Bowl will be played in the Superdome in New Orleans, hardly a wintry city. Last year’s game was played in Lucas Oil Stadium in Indianapolis, which has a dome.
Flacco has since apologized for using “retarded” in his comment.
"Obviously, it was a bad choice of words. I wish I hadn't said it," the former University of Delaware quarterback said Tuesday, according to NFL.com. "I have a great relationship with Special Olympics back in Baltimore and have had one for many years. I didn't mean to offend anybody, but I definitely apologize for it."
Some football purists would like to see the big game played in a cold weather city that doesn’t have a dome, where weather conditions can influence the game.
But Flacco does not hold that view.
“Imagine being in 10-degree weather and snow. Have fun,” he said.
Before Flacco made his apology, Twitter users ripped into the Ravens quarterback for his poor choice of words.
“Joe Flacco described an outdoor superbowl in the cold as ‘retarded’ and the dude wonders why nobody likes him,” tweeted Taylor Rosen.
“Lost a lot of respect for joe flacco using ‘retarded’ on national tv. Kids are gunna watch that and think its okay. #goniners,” wrote Dylan Sherman, a special education major at Western Kentucky University.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Jeremy Lin Seeks Respect From Lakers Star Kobe Bryant
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Apple Logo on iPhone 6 Might Double as Notification LED; Roughly 80M iPhone 6 Units Ordered Targeting Release Date—Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air