NASA Rocket Launch Live Stream; Watch East Coast Light Show Tonight
By Charles Poladian | January 30, 2013 8:37 AM EST
NASA is launching a rocket Tuesday evening that will eject red smoke above Earth, creating a colorful display that will be visible along the East Coast. For those who won’t be in the visibility area, there is a live stream.
The "sounding" rocket is part of a test of data gathering tools. The launch is scheduled for between 5:30 and 6:50 p.m. EST from the Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island, Va. It will be visible as far north as Connecticut, NASA says.
The launch will send a Terrier-Improved Orion sounding rocket into suborbital space. The rocket will release red-colored lithium vapor that will form clouds in different parts of the atmosphere. According to Libby West, mission project manager at the NASA Sounding Rocket Program Office, “This launch is a technology test flight for two upcoming missions. We will be testing two different methods for creating the lithium vapor to determine which configuration is best for observing various science phenomena in space.”
Tuesday's launch is the first of three planned missions to test lithium vapor mixtures that will help researchers observe space phenomena. In April, NASA will test a sounding rocket at Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands and in June at Wallops again.
“Two canisters in the rocket’s payload section will contain solid metal lithium rods or chips embedded in a thermite cake," says NASA. "The thermite is ignited and produces heat to vaporize the lithium. The vapor is released in space and can be detected and tracked optically.”
NASA says the public is in no danger from the launch or the subsequent release of the lithium vapors. On Facebook, Wallops Flight Facility is saying the launch is scheduled for 5:50 p.m., although the live stream will begin at 4:30 p.m.
A photo of the visibility area is attached to this article. The live stream can be viewed below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Alien Mystery: The Most Famous Unexplained Alien Abduction Cases (Watch Video)
- Aurora Borealis Paints A Beautiful Picture On The Northern Skies [Watch Video]
- West Seattle Man Accuses Stranger Obese Woman Of Rape While He Was Asleep
- Testicular Cancer Survivor Pushes 6-Foot Giant Ball Across The US To Create Awareness About Ailment
- University of Waterloo U Study Recommends Best Sex Positions To Ease Back Pain During Lovemaking
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date