NASA Rocket Launch Live Stream; Watch East Coast Light Show Tonight
By Charles Poladian | January 30, 2013 8:37 AM EST
NASA is launching a rocket Tuesday evening that will eject red smoke above Earth, creating a colorful display that will be visible along the East Coast. For those who won’t be in the visibility area, there is a live stream.
The "sounding" rocket is part of a test of data gathering tools. The launch is scheduled for between 5:30 and 6:50 p.m. EST from the Wallops Flight Facility on Wallops Island, Va. It will be visible as far north as Connecticut, NASA says.
The launch will send a Terrier-Improved Orion sounding rocket into suborbital space. The rocket will release red-colored lithium vapor that will form clouds in different parts of the atmosphere. According to Libby West, mission project manager at the NASA Sounding Rocket Program Office, “This launch is a technology test flight for two upcoming missions. We will be testing two different methods for creating the lithium vapor to determine which configuration is best for observing various science phenomena in space.”
Tuesday's launch is the first of three planned missions to test lithium vapor mixtures that will help researchers observe space phenomena. In April, NASA will test a sounding rocket at Kwajalein Atoll in the Marshall Islands and in June at Wallops again.
“Two canisters in the rocket’s payload section will contain solid metal lithium rods or chips embedded in a thermite cake," says NASA. "The thermite is ignited and produces heat to vaporize the lithium. The vapor is released in space and can be detected and tracked optically.”
NASA says the public is in no danger from the launch or the subsequent release of the lithium vapors. On Facebook, Wallops Flight Facility is saying the launch is scheduled for 5:50 p.m., although the live stream will begin at 4:30 p.m.
A photo of the visibility area is attached to this article. The live stream can be viewed below.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- Richard Norris' Successful Face Transplant Lands Him in GQ Cover [WATCH VIDEOS]
- NASA Astronomers Unearths Mysterious Signal That 'Could Not Be Explained By Known Physics' [Watch Video]
- Industrial Air Pollution May Help Search for Alien Life - Scientists
- Luxury Cruise: A 'Once In A Lifetime' Trip To Experience Environment Devastation in the Arctic
- Breaking Discovery: Industrial Pollution Reached South Pole by 19th Century
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: Parents of Australian Passenger Want ‘Space Scientists’ to Investigate Crash; Believe in ‘Possibility’ of Survival -- Report
- Childhood Obesity is Strongly Linked With Early Puberty: Study Reveals
- Why Internet of Things is the Next Big Thing for Tech Giants like Samsung, Google and Apple
- Instagram's Newest App Bolt Now Available Exclusively in New Zealand, Singapore and South Africa
- Megan Fox's Weight Loss Aided by Low Carb Paleo Diet: Benefits of the Diet