Defensive sectors lead Wall Street higher
January 30, 2013 8:14 AM EST
Stocks advanced on Tuesday, led by defensive sectors, in a sign the cash piles recently moving into the market are being put to use by cautious investors to pick up more gains.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> gained 72.87 points, or 0.52 percent, to 13,954.80. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> gained 7.70 points, or 0.51 percent, to 1,507.88. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> dropped 0.64 points, or 0.02 percent, to 3,153.66.
(Reporting By Edward Krudy; Editing by Nick Zieminski)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Galaxy Note 4 vs Redmi Note 2 vs iPhone 6: Samsung in Danger with Depressing Q3
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage