Defensive sectors lead Wall Street higher
January 30, 2013 8:14 AM EST
Stocks advanced on Tuesday, led by defensive sectors, in a sign the cash piles recently moving into the market are being put to use by cautious investors to pick up more gains.
The Dow Jones industrial average <.DJI> gained 72.87 points, or 0.52 percent, to 13,954.80. The Standard & Poor's 500 Index <.SPX> gained 7.70 points, or 0.51 percent, to 1,507.88. The Nasdaq Composite Index <.IXIC> dropped 0.64 points, or 0.02 percent, to 3,153.66.
(Reporting By Edward Krudy; Editing by Nick Zieminski)
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family
- Xiaomi VP Hugo Barra Says ‘Apple iPhone 6 Is The Most Beautiful Smartphone Ever Built’
- Vivo Rumoured To Be Building World’s Thinnest Smartphone With 3.8 MM Thickness