Syrian Civil War: The Aleppo Massacre In Pictures
By Maya Shwayder | January 30, 2013 7:24 AM EST
Sixty-five bodies, all of which had hands bound behind their backs and appear to have been shot in the head, were discovered washed up in a river that runs through the middle of the city of Aleppo in the north of Syria on Tuesday. It is not immediately known who carried out the executions, but the suspected perpetrators are forces loyal to the regime of President Bashar al-Assad. Reuters said the death toll could rise as high as 80.
Forces fighting on both sides of the conflict have been accused of various human rights violations, as the war-weary citizens of Syria struggle to go on with their lives while the conflict rages ceaseless around them.
The 22-month conflict has claimed more than 60,000 lives, created around 2 million internally displaced people, and more than 700,000 people have fled as refugees to Jordan, Turkey, Lebanon, Iraq, and Egypt, according to UNHCR.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Amner Hall Residence
- Twitter Photo Of British Medical Muslima Student Holding Severed Head
- Australia's Imam Council Rebuffs Abbott Decision To Send Troops; Wants 'Islamic' Dropped From ISIS
- Spying Claims Muddle New Zealand Election as Dotcom Calls Key Gov't An 'American Slave'
- Germany to Send Soldiers to Iraq, Bans Displays of Support for ISIS
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date