Chelsea Transfer News: Falcao, Paulinho, Butland And N’Koulou Discussed In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | January 30, 2013 6:48 AM EST
Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez has said that he doesn't expect the club to make any further signings before the close of the transfer window. Demba Ba has been the only new arrival in January and, despite hinting that his squad lacks depth, Benitez doesn't believe that there will be more new faces before Thursday’s deadline.
"I don't think so but my job is to improve my squad and manage the situation we have,” he said, according to Sky Sports.
"We are playing more games than anyone. In some positions we have only two or three players, that's the reality.
"After the Africa Cup of Nations, and when we get Eden Hazard back, we'll be able to manager a bit better.”
Benitez did not completely close the door, however, and his interim status means that he may not be the first man to be made aware of Chelsea’s transfer activity.
Sky Sports has reported their understanding that Chelsea have made an approach for Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland. A number of clubs are believed to be interested in the 19-year-old. And he could well be on the move before the transfer deadline as Birmingham’s financial problems mean that they have a strong imperative to sell.
Chelsea are in need of a stronger backup to Petr Cech, with Ross Turnbull coming under fire for his performance against Brentford at the weekend. Yet, with the club also having highly-rated Thibaut Courtois—currently on-loan at Atletico Madrid—on their books, it remains to be seen what long-term future Butland would have at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea’s other targets may have to wait until the summer.
Top of their list is still thought to be Radamel Falcao. It has long appeared unlikely that the Atletico Madrid striker would move in midseason, but there is expected to be much competition for his signature come the summer. Real Madrid, Paris-Saint-Germain and Manchester City have all been linked, along with Chelsea, to the Colombian.
Falcao, 26, has claimed that he is not yet thinking about a future beyond Atletico.
"I have three years left on my contract with the club and my reality is that this contract ties me down for a few more seasons," Falcao told CNN.
"Afterwards though, I don't know what's going to happen in the future as it's in the hands of the people responsible for deciding the future of the players on Atletico.
"I simply give the best of myself for the team, for this really good season that we're having. We have a lot of objectives/goals in our sight and I hope that we can achieve them."
Also likely to be on Chelsea’s agenda in the close season is Corinthians midfielder Paulinho. The Blues are thought to have had a long-standing interest in the Brazil international, but appeared as though they may have been beaten to his signature by Italian giants Inter.
But Paulinho has repeatedly said that he is happy in Brazil for the time being and it appears that both Inter and Chelsea could now go head-to-head for the 24-year-old in the summer.
“No news on Paulinho," Inter president Massimo Moratti said, according to TuttoMercato. "It's not a question of money. We believe that the operation might be easier in June because of the player's commitments in Brazil."
Chelsea also look set to have to wait for the signing of Marseille defender Nicolas N’Koulou. Sky Sports has reported that Chelsea have been keeping a close eye on the Cameroon international for the past three months and sent scouts to watch him in action last weekend.
N’Koulou, 22, is reported to have agreed with the Ligue 1 side that he can move for an acceptable fee in the summer, but has said that he is happy to stay until then.
"I need to finish the season in a strong position, I am not thinking about any transfer at the moment,” he explained, according to Sky Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Slow-Moving Yet Unrelenting Hawaii Lava Now Only Inches Away From Pahoa Homes
- Kate Middleton Expecting A Baby Boy For The Second Time Around – Reports [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao KO Of Chris Algieri Will ‘Shut Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr. Declares Freddie Roach
- New York Knicks Vs. Cleveland Cavaliers Live Streaming Info, Preview And Betting Odds
- Los Angeles Lakers Suffer Second Straight Loss, Phoenix Suns Deal Kobe Bryant Another Blowout Defeat, 119-99
- Georges St-Pierre Opines Nick Diaz Would Have a Stronger Chance Against Anderson Silva If Fight Goes Longer
- Cavaliers, LeBron James Flop In First Game Back In Cleveland; New York Knicks, Melo Pull Off Road Upset, 95-90 [PHOTOS]
- NATO: Russia's Been Conducting Too Many Military Flights Over Europe
- Moto X 2014 vs. Motorola DROID Turbo - Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Dismantling Of Fukushima Reactor 1 Faces Delays, US Judge Gives Sailor Go Signal To Push Through Lawsuit Against TEPCO Over Radiation
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge To Be Available Through T-Mobile In The US
- Five Extreme Drop Tests On BlackBerry Passport Reveals Its Endurance [Watch Video]
- Updated iOS 8 Pangu Untethered Jailbreak Now Fully Works with Cydia: Key Fixes & Mods to Expect
- Ex-Ohio Trooper Pleads Guilty To Issuing Sex as Penalty To Women Motorists