Chelsea Transfer News: Falcao, Paulinho, Butland And N’Koulou Discussed In Latest Speculation
By Jason Le Miere | January 30, 2013 6:48 AM EST
Chelsea manager Rafael Benitez has said that he doesn't expect the club to make any further signings before the close of the transfer window. Demba Ba has been the only new arrival in January and, despite hinting that his squad lacks depth, Benitez doesn't believe that there will be more new faces before Thursday’s deadline.
"I don't think so but my job is to improve my squad and manage the situation we have,” he said, according to Sky Sports.
"We are playing more games than anyone. In some positions we have only two or three players, that's the reality.
"After the Africa Cup of Nations, and when we get Eden Hazard back, we'll be able to manager a bit better.”
Benitez did not completely close the door, however, and his interim status means that he may not be the first man to be made aware of Chelsea’s transfer activity.
Sky Sports has reported their understanding that Chelsea have made an approach for Birmingham City goalkeeper Jack Butland. A number of clubs are believed to be interested in the 19-year-old. And he could well be on the move before the transfer deadline as Birmingham’s financial problems mean that they have a strong imperative to sell.
Chelsea are in need of a stronger backup to Petr Cech, with Ross Turnbull coming under fire for his performance against Brentford at the weekend. Yet, with the club also having highly-rated Thibaut Courtois—currently on-loan at Atletico Madrid—on their books, it remains to be seen what long-term future Butland would have at Stamford Bridge.
Chelsea’s other targets may have to wait until the summer.
Top of their list is still thought to be Radamel Falcao. It has long appeared unlikely that the Atletico Madrid striker would move in midseason, but there is expected to be much competition for his signature come the summer. Real Madrid, Paris-Saint-Germain and Manchester City have all been linked, along with Chelsea, to the Colombian.
Falcao, 26, has claimed that he is not yet thinking about a future beyond Atletico.
"I have three years left on my contract with the club and my reality is that this contract ties me down for a few more seasons," Falcao told CNN.
"Afterwards though, I don't know what's going to happen in the future as it's in the hands of the people responsible for deciding the future of the players on Atletico.
"I simply give the best of myself for the team, for this really good season that we're having. We have a lot of objectives/goals in our sight and I hope that we can achieve them."
Also likely to be on Chelsea’s agenda in the close season is Corinthians midfielder Paulinho. The Blues are thought to have had a long-standing interest in the Brazil international, but appeared as though they may have been beaten to his signature by Italian giants Inter.
But Paulinho has repeatedly said that he is happy in Brazil for the time being and it appears that both Inter and Chelsea could now go head-to-head for the 24-year-old in the summer.
“No news on Paulinho," Inter president Massimo Moratti said, according to TuttoMercato. "It's not a question of money. We believe that the operation might be easier in June because of the player's commitments in Brazil."
Chelsea also look set to have to wait for the signing of Marseille defender Nicolas N’Koulou. Sky Sports has reported that Chelsea have been keeping a close eye on the Cameroon international for the past three months and sent scouts to watch him in action last weekend.
N’Koulou, 22, is reported to have agreed with the Ligue 1 side that he can move for an acceptable fee in the summer, but has said that he is happy to stay until then.
"I need to finish the season in a strong position, I am not thinking about any transfer at the moment,” he explained, according to Sky Sports.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display