Analyst: We All Want Too Much from Apple
By Aabha Rathee | January 30, 2013 5:39 AM EST
It’s not Apple’s ( that the second half estimates for Apple, particularly those for the June quarter, were “too high.” In addition, the expectations of a new product launch prior to June were almost unrealistic, he said.
The analyst was specifically concerned about the fact that consensus figures were “forecasting a 1 percent sequential decline in iPhones in [the fiscal third quarter], which [was] historically unprecedented in the absence of a new device – which we would not hold our breath for (at least at this point).”
Sacconaghi, who has an Outperform rating on Apple’s stock along with a $725 price target, has projected revenue of $35.7 billion and of $8.52 per share in the third quarter.
“Yes, a new iPhone introduction in the month of June could possibly result in consensus expectations for the quarter being reasonable, but (1) the new iPhone had better launch early in June (our forecast is about 8 million units below consensus and assumes a new iPhone launch in the September quarter); and (2) we will not know for certain about the timing of such a device until May at the earliest… meaning that there is going to be significant uncertainty throughout this quarter,” he wrote in a note to investors.
According to the analyst, even the introduction of other new products, such as a new iPad or a television set, or even the addition of a major new carrier, such as China Mobile (NYSE:CHL) may not be enough to bridge the gap in consensus’s estimates.
Sacconaghi was also worried about Apple’s announcement that it was changing its way of forecasting . “Perhaps Apple’s approach to its new guidance should have included estimates for the full fiscal year — because to us, the specter of further downward revisions could continue to spook investors in the near term,” he said.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
Join the Conversation
- Google Release Roundup: New Nexus 6, Nexus 8, Android 5.0 L Launch and Killer Features
- New Samsung Galaxy Note 4 and Galaxy S5 Android 5.0 L Killer Features, Encryption and More
- Xperia Z, Xperia ZL, Xperia ZR Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide
- China Is Also Seizing Disputed Land Along Indian Border
- iPhone 6 Survives Drop, Both Accidental & Intentional