Analyst: We All Want Too Much from Apple
By Aabha Rathee | January 30, 2013 5:39 AM EST
It’s not Apple’s ( that the second half estimates for Apple, particularly those for the June quarter, were “too high.” In addition, the expectations of a new product launch prior to June were almost unrealistic, he said.
The analyst was specifically concerned about the fact that consensus figures were “forecasting a 1 percent sequential decline in iPhones in [the fiscal third quarter], which [was] historically unprecedented in the absence of a new device – which we would not hold our breath for (at least at this point).”
Sacconaghi, who has an Outperform rating on Apple’s stock along with a $725 price target, has projected revenue of $35.7 billion and of $8.52 per share in the third quarter.
“Yes, a new iPhone introduction in the month of June could possibly result in consensus expectations for the quarter being reasonable, but (1) the new iPhone had better launch early in June (our forecast is about 8 million units below consensus and assumes a new iPhone launch in the September quarter); and (2) we will not know for certain about the timing of such a device until May at the earliest… meaning that there is going to be significant uncertainty throughout this quarter,” he wrote in a note to investors.
According to the analyst, even the introduction of other new products, such as a new iPad or a television set, or even the addition of a major new carrier, such as China Mobile (NYSE:CHL) may not be enough to bridge the gap in consensus’s estimates.
Sacconaghi was also worried about Apple’s announcement that it was changing its way of forecasting . “Perhaps Apple’s approach to its new guidance should have included estimates for the full fiscal year — because to us, the specter of further downward revisions could continue to spook investors in the near term,” he said.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions