Meet 'The Wolf Man': German Researcher Werner Freund Feeds Wolves With His Mouth [PHOTOS]
By Jill Heller | January 30, 2013 5:13 AM EST
For the past 40 odd years, German wolf researcher Werner Freund has operated a wolf sanctuary in Saarland, Germany, where he has personally reared more than 70 animals. Despite being nearly 80-year-old, Werner acts as the “alpha male” of six distinct packs, and spends his days wrestling with his animals in the snow, feeding them raw meat out of his own mouth, and even sleeping with them.
The career was not Werner’s first: a former paratrooper and professional gardener, Werner says that his wolf research began unexpectedly. During a stint at the Stuttgart zoo where he worked as gardener, the zoo’s bear keeper suddenly became injured and he temporarily took over as a predator zookeeper.
In 1972, Freund acquired the land to build his “Wolfspark” as a loan from the city of Merzig. The reserve currently houses 29 Mongolian and Arctic wolves. Most of the wolves were reared by him, and were acquired from zoos or animal parks as cubs.
Although living in close proximity to an enclave of wild animals might intimidate many people, Werner says that such is not the case in Merzig. He claims that numerous residents of the city, which has lately become a tourist destination for wolf enthusiasts, affectionately refer to it as “The City of Wolves,” and are grateful for the attention his wolves bring.
Reuters photographer Lisi Niesner recently took a trip to the wolf den, where she photographed Werner with his packs and detailed the strange rituals in an extensive blog post about the experience. Werner, who contentedly describes himself as half wolf, says that unlike dogs which can be easily domesticated, he had to transform himself into a wolf in order to interact with his animals.
“From the moment the wolf cubs taste meat and blood, they turn into predators and cannot be domesticated like dogs” Werner told Niesner.
“I had to re-educate my voice as my German dialect sounds quite hard, but the wolves are used to gentle noises” Werner added, after howling with his pack.
Although he maintains that he has “always remained human” even while spending so much time among his wolves, Werner admitted that has two distinct lives. “Which one I like best, I keep to myself,” he said.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists