Ford Earnings Beat Estimates But Outlook Sends Shares Down
By Angelo Young | January 30, 2013 4:27 AM EST
Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F) beat analysts’ earnings expectations for its fourth quarter and 2012 earnings, but the No. 2 U.S. automaker warned of bigger losses in the struggling European market and forecast weak sales in South America.
That forecast sent shares of the No. 2 carmaker falling as much as 6 percent Tuesday before recovering slightly at midday to $12.99, down 79 cents.
Ford's operating profit was 31 cents a share in revenue of $36.5 billion, largely coming from U.S. sales. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected earnings of only 25 cents a share.
For the full year, the Dearborn, Mich.-based auto giant reported $1.41 a share of operating profit on revenue of $134.3 billion, beating the $1.35 a share forecast on an estimated $125 billion of revenue.
“The Ford team delivered strong results once again, underscoring that our 'One Ford' plan is working,” said Allan Mulally, Ford CEO. "One Ford" is the company’s ongoing restructuring plan aimed at lowering production costs. For example, the company is moving away from creating different versions of the same model to sell in different global markets.
But the company lost $1.75 billion in Europe last year, more than the expected $1.5 billion. Sales in Latin America are expected to be “breakeven” in 2013, executives said.
“In addition, government actions to incentivize local production and balance trade are driving trade frictions between South American countries and also with Mexico, resulting in business environment instability and new trade barriers,” the company said in a statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Subaru Recalls 600k SUVs Due to Brake Line Problems; Majority in the U.S., 100k in Canada
- Australian Car Owners Face New Mandatory Emissions Standards
- Viral Video Using Go Pro Camera: 'Longest Jump Story' [Watch YouTube Clip]
- Canada Launches World's First Waste-to-Biofuels and Chemicals Facility
- Greenest Auto Manufacturer in U.S. Now Hyundai, Honda Set Off Track
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date