Ford Earnings Beat Estimates But Outlook Sends Shares Down
By Angelo Young | January 30, 2013 4:27 AM EST
Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F) beat analysts’ earnings expectations for its fourth quarter and 2012 earnings, but the No. 2 U.S. automaker warned of bigger losses in the struggling European market and forecast weak sales in South America.
That forecast sent shares of the No. 2 carmaker falling as much as 6 percent Tuesday before recovering slightly at midday to $12.99, down 79 cents.
Ford's operating profit was 31 cents a share in revenue of $36.5 billion, largely coming from U.S. sales. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected earnings of only 25 cents a share.
For the full year, the Dearborn, Mich.-based auto giant reported $1.41 a share of operating profit on revenue of $134.3 billion, beating the $1.35 a share forecast on an estimated $125 billion of revenue.
“The Ford team delivered strong results once again, underscoring that our 'One Ford' plan is working,” said Allan Mulally, Ford CEO. "One Ford" is the company’s ongoing restructuring plan aimed at lowering production costs. For example, the company is moving away from creating different versions of the same model to sell in different global markets.
But the company lost $1.75 billion in Europe last year, more than the expected $1.5 billion. Sales in Latin America are expected to be “breakeven” in 2013, executives said.
“In addition, government actions to incentivize local production and balance trade are driving trade frictions between South American countries and also with Mexico, resulting in business environment instability and new trade barriers,” the company said in a statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Rocks Semi-Nude Balmain Lattice Dress At Paris Fashion Week [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- All-New Mazda2 to Roll Out in Australia This Summer
- Much-Awaited Mazda MX-5 Limited Edition in Australia
- 75 Dead from China Car Parts Plant Blast, Poor Safety Measures Blamed
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate