Ford Earnings Beat Estimates But Outlook Sends Shares Down
By Angelo Young | January 30, 2013 4:27 AM EST
Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F) beat analysts’ earnings expectations for its fourth quarter and 2012 earnings, but the No. 2 U.S. automaker warned of bigger losses in the struggling European market and forecast weak sales in South America.
That forecast sent shares of the No. 2 carmaker falling as much as 6 percent Tuesday before recovering slightly at midday to $12.99, down 79 cents.
Ford's operating profit was 31 cents a share in revenue of $36.5 billion, largely coming from U.S. sales. Analysts polled by Thomson Reuters had expected earnings of only 25 cents a share.
For the full year, the Dearborn, Mich.-based auto giant reported $1.41 a share of operating profit on revenue of $134.3 billion, beating the $1.35 a share forecast on an estimated $125 billion of revenue.
“The Ford team delivered strong results once again, underscoring that our 'One Ford' plan is working,” said Allan Mulally, Ford CEO. "One Ford" is the company’s ongoing restructuring plan aimed at lowering production costs. For example, the company is moving away from creating different versions of the same model to sell in different global markets.
But the company lost $1.75 billion in Europe last year, more than the expected $1.5 billion. Sales in Latin America are expected to be “breakeven” in 2013, executives said.
“In addition, government actions to incentivize local production and balance trade are driving trade frictions between South American countries and also with Mexico, resulting in business environment instability and new trade barriers,” the company said in a statement filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- US Alerts Car Owners To Fix Air Bags Urgently As Defective Air Bags Are Causing Fatal Deaths With Shrapnels Flying Out
- Honda Connect a System Based on Android and NVIDIA Tegra Processor To make Driving Easy
- Over 1,000 New Jobs Available at Oakville Assembly – Ford of Canada
- 2015 Ford Mustang: Right-Hand Drive Pony Car To Be Available In Australia Next Year
- Upcoming Ford Falcon Can Save Life with 000 Technology During Crash
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS