Will Tomorrow Turn RIM Around?
By Mark Knapp | January 30, 2013 4:05 AM EST
There isn’t much more time before Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) launches BlackBerry 10, and in the time it has left, the company plans to make sure the launch gets every last bit of interest met with live web coverage of the launch event.
RIM never gave up though. BlackBerry is still a well-known brand (if sometimes the butt of a joke) and the company has been working hard to make things happen for BB10. RIM worked hard to garner appeal with professionals, corporations, and governments; it offered a trial program to get them all familiar with the platform, and has a special dual-persona feature that would allow workers to keep personal and work-related streams separate, and information secure.
For everyone else, RIM has been working with app developers to give BB10 the largest selection of apps at launch of any mobile . The company has also worked to ensure that its new devices would satisfy the tastes of modern smartphone consumers — with one device being a high-spec, full-touchscreen smartphone, and the second device featuring a full QWERTY keyboard, like traditional BlackBerry phones. RIM also made arrangements with a numerous mobile carriers to ensure a wide availability of its devices.
With limited time left, RIM took one more step to ensure BB10 saw as much light as possible. The BB10 launch Wednesday will be streaming live online. The new devices and platform will be officially unveiled at that showing and all be available shortly after.
While a little extra might not be enough to push RIM ahead of the iPhone or Android phones, it certainly can’t hurt. BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said that the company is in a good position, is more streamlined, has no debt, and even has $2.9 billion in available cash. So, however the launch goes, it seems RIM could only fare even better as new sales come in.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales