Will Tomorrow Turn RIM Around?
By Mark Knapp | January 30, 2013 4:05 AM EST
There isn’t much more time before Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) launches BlackBerry 10, and in the time it has left, the company plans to make sure the launch gets every last bit of interest met with live web coverage of the launch event.
RIM never gave up though. BlackBerry is still a well-known brand (if sometimes the butt of a joke) and the company has been working hard to make things happen for BB10. RIM worked hard to garner appeal with professionals, corporations, and governments; it offered a trial program to get them all familiar with the platform, and has a special dual-persona feature that would allow workers to keep personal and work-related streams separate, and information secure.
For everyone else, RIM has been working with app developers to give BB10 the largest selection of apps at launch of any mobile . The company has also worked to ensure that its new devices would satisfy the tastes of modern smartphone consumers — with one device being a high-spec, full-touchscreen smartphone, and the second device featuring a full QWERTY keyboard, like traditional BlackBerry phones. RIM also made arrangements with a numerous mobile carriers to ensure a wide availability of its devices.
With limited time left, RIM took one more step to ensure BB10 saw as much light as possible. The BB10 launch Wednesday will be streaming live online. The new devices and platform will be officially unveiled at that showing and all be available shortly after.
While a little extra might not be enough to push RIM ahead of the iPhone or Android phones, it certainly can’t hurt. BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said that the company is in a good position, is more streamlined, has no debt, and even has $2.9 billion in available cash. So, however the launch goes, it seems RIM could only fare even better as new sales come in.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- New Zealand Economy Benefits From Australia's Big Investments; Kiwi Down After RNBZ Comments
- ETF Outlook for Thursday, January 2 (FEZ, FXI, SPY, XHB)
- January Second Trading: Always Interesting
- 13 Things Investors Learned In 2013 - Part II
- Are Diversity and Quality the Way to Profit from the Rebound in Gold and Coal?
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop