Will Tomorrow Turn RIM Around?
By Mark Knapp | January 30, 2013 4:05 AM EST
There isn’t much more time before Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) launches BlackBerry 10, and in the time it has left, the company plans to make sure the launch gets every last bit of interest met with live web coverage of the launch event.
RIM never gave up though. BlackBerry is still a well-known brand (if sometimes the butt of a joke) and the company has been working hard to make things happen for BB10. RIM worked hard to garner appeal with professionals, corporations, and governments; it offered a trial program to get them all familiar with the platform, and has a special dual-persona feature that would allow workers to keep personal and work-related streams separate, and information secure.
For everyone else, RIM has been working with app developers to give BB10 the largest selection of apps at launch of any mobile . The company has also worked to ensure that its new devices would satisfy the tastes of modern smartphone consumers — with one device being a high-spec, full-touchscreen smartphone, and the second device featuring a full QWERTY keyboard, like traditional BlackBerry phones. RIM also made arrangements with a numerous mobile carriers to ensure a wide availability of its devices.
With limited time left, RIM took one more step to ensure BB10 saw as much light as possible. The BB10 launch Wednesday will be streaming live online. The new devices and platform will be officially unveiled at that showing and all be available shortly after.
While a little extra might not be enough to push RIM ahead of the iPhone or Android phones, it certainly can’t hurt. BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said that the company is in a good position, is more streamlined, has no debt, and even has $2.9 billion in available cash. So, however the launch goes, it seems RIM could only fare even better as new sales come in.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date