Will Tomorrow Turn RIM Around?
By Mark Knapp | January 30, 2013 4:05 AM EST
There isn’t much more time before Research in Motion (NASDAQ:RIMM) launches BlackBerry 10, and in the time it has left, the company plans to make sure the launch gets every last bit of interest met with live web coverage of the launch event.
RIM never gave up though. BlackBerry is still a well-known brand (if sometimes the butt of a joke) and the company has been working hard to make things happen for BB10. RIM worked hard to garner appeal with professionals, corporations, and governments; it offered a trial program to get them all familiar with the platform, and has a special dual-persona feature that would allow workers to keep personal and work-related streams separate, and information secure.
For everyone else, RIM has been working with app developers to give BB10 the largest selection of apps at launch of any mobile . The company has also worked to ensure that its new devices would satisfy the tastes of modern smartphone consumers — with one device being a high-spec, full-touchscreen smartphone, and the second device featuring a full QWERTY keyboard, like traditional BlackBerry phones. RIM also made arrangements with a numerous mobile carriers to ensure a wide availability of its devices.
With limited time left, RIM took one more step to ensure BB10 saw as much light as possible. The BB10 launch Wednesday will be streaming live online. The new devices and platform will be officially unveiled at that showing and all be available shortly after.
While a little extra might not be enough to push RIM ahead of the iPhone or Android phones, it certainly can’t hurt. BlackBerry CEO Thorsten Heins said that the company is in a good position, is more streamlined, has no debt, and even has $2.9 billion in available cash. So, however the launch goes, it seems RIM could only fare even better as new sales come in.
Copyright Wall St Cheat Street All rights reserved.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Getting Serious With Jennifer Lawrence, Actress Joining Coldplay Tour [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Apple iPhone 6 Actual Release Date after September 9 Confirmed 128GB Variant with New Resolution
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- Moto G2 Release Roundup: Specs, Pricing, and Release Date Details
- PlayStation 4 Killing Xbox One Costing Microsoft Millions But It's Fine
- Google Chrome 64-bit for Windows 8 and Window 7 with Mac Beta Available
- Apple iOS 8 vs Android 5.0 L: OS Wars Puts Android to Lower while Apple to Higher
- Nexus 6 on Release Date Confirmed with Phablet-Size Display as FCC Filing Hints of 5.9-Inch Screen