Anton Ferdinand's Departure Paves Way For Samba Arrival
By Didrik Ottesen | January 30, 2013 3:58 AM EST
Queens Park Rangers may now look to strengthen their defense after confirming the departure of Anton Ferdinand to Turkish club Bursaspor on-loan until the end of the season.
The Turkish club confirmed the deal on their official website today: "QPR's Anton Ferdinand has signed for Bursaspor on loan until the end of this season with a buy-out option.
"The defender had undergone a medical in the Bursa Acıbadem Hospital and completed his medical yesterday afternoon. Personal terms have been agreed and the player has now officially signed from Premier League side QPR."
The 27-year-old defender made 49 appearances for QPR but has struggled to maintain a regular place in the starting XI under Harry Redknapp, who is looking to bring in some new faces in his bid to save the club from relegation.
The former Tottenham manager is working on several deals ahead of Thursday's transfer deadline with striker Peter Crouch and defender Chris Samba being touted as potential transfer targets.
Redknapp told BBC Sport: "These are two players whose names have been mentioned but at the moment we're not close to doing anything. Crouch's name came up in a meeting with the chairman but I don't think Stoke want to sell him.
"On Samba, again the chairman is dealing with this. At this stage I don't think that's a goer. I like Christopher Samba and he is a very good player but at this stage I don't see him leaving Russia. Things can changes but at this stage we're not close to doing anything."
Chris Samba, 28, secured a £12 million move to Russian club Anzhi Mekhachkala from Blackburn last February but may be tempted to secure a return to the Premier League.
The giant defender spent the best part of five years playing at Ewood Park before deciding to leave with Blackburn struggling at the wrong end of the table.
QPR are now in a similar position, five points behind Aston Villa in 17th place, but will be hoping to turn around their fortunes, starting with a difficult home game against champions Manchester City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- Novak Djokovic Receives Peugeot 107 Pedal Car For His Newborn
- NBA Preview: Milwaukee Bucks Look to Develop Youngsters Jabari Parker, Giannis Antetokounmpo
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS