Anton Ferdinand's Departure Paves Way For Samba Arrival
By Didrik Ottesen | January 30, 2013 3:58 AM EST
Queens Park Rangers may now look to strengthen their defense after confirming the departure of Anton Ferdinand to Turkish club Bursaspor on-loan until the end of the season.
The Turkish club confirmed the deal on their official website today: "QPR's Anton Ferdinand has signed for Bursaspor on loan until the end of this season with a buy-out option.
"The defender had undergone a medical in the Bursa Acıbadem Hospital and completed his medical yesterday afternoon. Personal terms have been agreed and the player has now officially signed from Premier League side QPR."
The 27-year-old defender made 49 appearances for QPR but has struggled to maintain a regular place in the starting XI under Harry Redknapp, who is looking to bring in some new faces in his bid to save the club from relegation.
The former Tottenham manager is working on several deals ahead of Thursday's transfer deadline with striker Peter Crouch and defender Chris Samba being touted as potential transfer targets.
Redknapp told BBC Sport: "These are two players whose names have been mentioned but at the moment we're not close to doing anything. Crouch's name came up in a meeting with the chairman but I don't think Stoke want to sell him.
"On Samba, again the chairman is dealing with this. At this stage I don't think that's a goer. I like Christopher Samba and he is a very good player but at this stage I don't see him leaving Russia. Things can changes but at this stage we're not close to doing anything."
Chris Samba, 28, secured a £12 million move to Russian club Anzhi Mekhachkala from Blackburn last February but may be tempted to secure a return to the Premier League.
The giant defender spent the best part of five years playing at Ewood Park before deciding to leave with Blackburn struggling at the wrong end of the table.
QPR are now in a similar position, five points behind Aston Villa in 17th place, but will be hoping to turn around their fortunes, starting with a difficult home game against champions Manchester City.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- 2014 Dancing With The Stars Australia: Former AFL Star David Rodan Declared Winner
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- '$2,000 For Sex'—Pleads Unlucky-in-Love Guy On OKCupid
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft