Barclays Axes Hundreds of Jobs at UK Investment Bank [EXCLUSIVE]
By Lianna Brinded | January 30, 2013 2:40 AM EST
Barclays has axed 360 jobs at its UK investment banking operations after making redundancies across both infrastructure and the front office.
A source close to the bank told IBTimes UK that 195 staff will be leaving infrastructure-related investment banking operations and 165 will go from the front office. The jobs are based in London.
In the UK, the securities unit employs about 9,000 people and about 24,000 globally.
Barclays confirmed to IBTimes UK that the bank was axing staff in Asia to conform with its overall plan to slash total headcount under a programme it call "transform review".
A Barclays spokesperson declined to comment on all the reports but told IBTimes UK: "We have begun a process of consultation with UK-based employees and a similar exercise in Asia. This exercise is being carried out so that we can start to effect some of the strategic changes as a consequence of the transform review of Barclays business, the outcomes of which will be announced on 12 February.
"Transform is explicitly intended to optimise the entire Barclays business and to accelerate our already strong performance. The changes planned for the investment bank are wholly consistent with that intent."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- Travel Alert: Malaysia’s AirAsia Cuts Number Of Australian Flights
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top 9 TV Deals Starting From $99 To $899
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- Julie Bishop Condemns Barack Obama For Overlooking Australia’s Commitment in Protecting Great Barrier Reef