Barclays Axes Hundreds of Jobs at UK Investment Bank [EXCLUSIVE]
By Lianna Brinded | January 30, 2013 2:40 AM EST
Barclays has axed 360 jobs at its UK investment banking operations after making redundancies across both infrastructure and the front office.
A source close to the bank told IBTimes UK that 195 staff will be leaving infrastructure-related investment banking operations and 165 will go from the front office. The jobs are based in London.
In the UK, the securities unit employs about 9,000 people and about 24,000 globally.
Barclays confirmed to IBTimes UK that the bank was axing staff in Asia to conform with its overall plan to slash total headcount under a programme it call "transform review".
A Barclays spokesperson declined to comment on all the reports but told IBTimes UK: "We have begun a process of consultation with UK-based employees and a similar exercise in Asia. This exercise is being carried out so that we can start to effect some of the strategic changes as a consequence of the transform review of Barclays business, the outcomes of which will be announced on 12 February.
"Transform is explicitly intended to optimise the entire Barclays business and to accelerate our already strong performance. The changes planned for the investment bank are wholly consistent with that intent."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton's Pregnancy Hearsays: Possible Evidence Revealed [PHOTOS]
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
Join the Conversation
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Too Much Blow for Mourning Families as Rebels Steal Bodies; Complete Passenger. Crew List Released
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Russia’s Putin World’s Getting Small, Pitted Against Global Leaders
- Health Canada Orders Labeling of Mechanically Tenderized Beef Meat
- How to Deal With Slackers at the Office
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People