Obama Congratulates Miami Heat For 2012 NBA Championship: 'Mama We Made It,' Says LeBron James At White House [PHOTOS, VIDEO]
By Amethyst Tate | January 30, 2013 1:37 AM EST
President Obama welcomed the Miami Heat at the White House to congratulate them for becoming the 2012 NBA champions.
The Heat defeated Okhlahoma City Thunder in five games to win the world championship back in June, making this their second NBA title. They defeated the Dallas Mavericks 4-2 in 2006.
LeBron James was named Finals MVP, and commented after their win, “It’s about damn time.”
At the White House on Monday, Obama congratulated the team, and James presented the President, who is a huge basketball fan himself, with a basketball signed by all the players, as well as a personalized No. 44 Miami Heat jersey.
"Everybody doing their part, is what finally put the Heat over the top," Obama said at the gathering, reports the Associated Press.
“For all the young men out there who are looking up to them all the time, for them to see somebody who cares about their kids and is there for them day in and day out, that's a good message to send," Obama went on to say, referring to a number of the players who are fathers, including James and Dwyane Wade.
President Obama also thanked them for their help at Walter Reed National Military Medical Center.
When James spoke, he made a moving remark that incited applause from the audience, which included the Miami Heat players’ girlfriends and wives.
"We're in the White House right now, which is like, like 'mama I made it,'" James said.
Gabrielle Union, Wade's girlfriend, posted pictures of the Heat and their significant others at the event.[[nid:1045406]]
Union also posted photos of herself and Wade at the White House. They complimented each others outfits by both wearing grey.
Back in December, James was named Sports Illustrated's Sportsman of the Year, largely due to how well he played during the NBA Championship.
The last time an NBA player won the coveted award was in 2006, and it was James' Miami Heat teammate, Dwyane Wade.
“To see that I and my team and everyone around me was able to patch that roof up, to come to this point, to come to this point and receive such a prestigious award, it's huge,” James said in a statement, after it was announced he would be receiving the Sportsman of the Year accolade.
While at the White House, he also made sure to get a photo of himself and Wade alongside a portrait of former President Bill Clinton. "No caption needed!" was his photo caption.
Watch the video of LeBron James at the White House below:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Nina Dobrev To Quit 'The Vampire Diaries' As She Feels 'Uneasy' Working With Ex Ian Somerhalder In Nikki Reed's Presence- Reports
- 'Once Upon A Time' Season 4 Premiere Questions: 'Frozen' Story Kicks Off, Queen Elsa vs Emma Swan vs The Evil Queen - New Story Unfolds [SPOILERS]
- ‘Batman vs. Superman’ Bruce Wayne May Be In Trouble In Leaked Video [Spoilers]
- Season 4 ‘American Horror Story-Freak Show’ Update: Introduction Of Twisty The Clown Is ‘Brutal’ [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson Is Not Proposing FKA Twigs Plus What Kristen Stewart Thinks About RPatz's New Romance- Reports
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iPhone 6 vs Moto G 2014: Motorola’s Budget Smartphone Takes On Apple’s Premium Smartphone
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate