Government gets initial 340 million pounds from Swiss tax deal
January 30, 2013 1:28 AM EST
Britain has received an initial 340 million pounds from the Swiss government as part of a deal to tackle tax evasion that the government expects will net it some 5 billion pounds over the next six years.
Switzerland agreed with Britain last year to impose a one-off levy on money in Britons' secret Swiss bank accounts and to tax future interest payments, with effect from the start of 2013. Germany rejected a similar deal.
Switzerland has been under pressure from the United States, Germany and Britain to clean up its private banking system, which has allowed many wealthy foreign nationals to avoid tax due to its tradition of bank secrecy.
"Last night HMRC (UK tax authorities) received 340 million pounds from the Swiss government, in the first instalment of a deal we have struck," Chancellor George Osborne told parliament. "(This is) the first time in our history that money due in taxes has flowed to this country from Switzerland, rather than the other way round," he added.
Osborne was facing criticism in parliament about his fiscal plans, which are already two years behind on their original goal of eliminating the country's structural budget deficit by 2015. Borrowing in the 2012/13 tax year is forecast to total 108.5 billion pounds, equivalent to 6.9 percent of economic output.
The 340 million pounds is a shade over the 330 million pounds pencilled in to come from this source during the 2012/13 tax year. Some 3.12 billion pounds is expected in the next tax year, and total tax receipts out to 2017/18 are seen at just over 5 billion pounds.
Britain has made tackling tax avoidance by companies as well as individuals a priority for its presidency this year of the G8 group of major advanced economies.
(Reporting by David Milliken; editing by Patrick Graham)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Canada Raises National Terror Alert Level after Suspected Jihadist Runs Over Soldier