Ground Beef Recall 2013: Salmonella Found In Over 1,000 Pounds Of Beef In 5 States Causes Illnesses
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 1:03 AM EST
A recall has been issued for ground beef after a salmonella outbreak in the meat caused as many as 15 people to be sick in five states.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), no one has died by more than half were hospitalized with food poisoning from the salmonella in the ground beef. Illnesses from the recalled ground beef have been in Michigan, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
The CDC first announced a recall on Thursday, reporting that Michigan-based Jouni Meats, Inc. issued a recall on 500 pounds of ground beef products contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium. The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) had led an investigation into a restaurant that served raw ground beef in a dish called kibbeh in Macomb County, Mich. The products being recalled were produced between Dec. 4, 2012 and Dec. 9, 2012, which were distributed to the restaurant as well as Jouni Meats, Inc.
On Friday, the CDC announced another recall of 550 pounds of ground beef at Gab Halal Foods in Troy, Mich. The recalled products have dates between Dec. 4, 2012 and Dec. 10, 2012 and are in various size packages wrapped in clear plastic. The products did not have a label and also were contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium, the FSIS said.
The CDC said consumers should check their homes for the recalled ground beef and immediately throw it away. The agency also said never to eat raw or undercooked ground beef at temperatures less than 160°F and to contact your health care provider if you think you have become sick from eating the recalled ground beef.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- California Fruits Recalled in USA and Canada for Possible Listeria Contamination
- Malaysian Airlines Flight 17: Air Carrier Losing $1.6 Million/Day; Crisis Management Experts Suggest Hiring Risk Expert as CEO
- The IBM and Apple Merger: Will it Spell Trouble to Rival Companies
- CBA, NAB, Westpac in Fixed Rate War Offering Below 5% Interest
- Radio Australia Cuts to Affect Isolated Vanuatu Residents Who Rely on It for Weather Bulletins
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown