Ground Beef Recall 2013: Salmonella Found In Over 1,000 Pounds Of Beef In 5 States Causes Illnesses
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 1:03 AM EST
A recall has been issued for ground beef after a salmonella outbreak in the meat caused as many as 15 people to be sick in five states.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), no one has died by more than half were hospitalized with food poisoning from the salmonella in the ground beef. Illnesses from the recalled ground beef have been in Michigan, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
The CDC first announced a recall on Thursday, reporting that Michigan-based Jouni Meats, Inc. issued a recall on 500 pounds of ground beef products contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium. The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) had led an investigation into a restaurant that served raw ground beef in a dish called kibbeh in Macomb County, Mich. The products being recalled were produced between Dec. 4, 2012 and Dec. 9, 2012, which were distributed to the restaurant as well as Jouni Meats, Inc.
On Friday, the CDC announced another recall of 550 pounds of ground beef at Gab Halal Foods in Troy, Mich. The recalled products have dates between Dec. 4, 2012 and Dec. 10, 2012 and are in various size packages wrapped in clear plastic. The products did not have a label and also were contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium, the FSIS said.
The CDC said consumers should check their homes for the recalled ground beef and immediately throw it away. The agency also said never to eat raw or undercooked ground beef at temperatures less than 160°F and to contact your health care provider if you think you have become sick from eating the recalled ground beef.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage