Ground Beef Recall 2013: Salmonella Found In Over 1,000 Pounds Of Beef In 5 States Causes Illnesses
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 30, 2013 1:03 AM EST
A recall has been issued for ground beef after a salmonella outbreak in the meat caused as many as 15 people to be sick in five states.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), no one has died by more than half were hospitalized with food poisoning from the salmonella in the ground beef. Illnesses from the recalled ground beef have been in Michigan, Arizona, Illinois, Iowa and Wisconsin.
The CDC first announced a recall on Thursday, reporting that Michigan-based Jouni Meats, Inc. issued a recall on 500 pounds of ground beef products contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium. The Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) had led an investigation into a restaurant that served raw ground beef in a dish called kibbeh in Macomb County, Mich. The products being recalled were produced between Dec. 4, 2012 and Dec. 9, 2012, which were distributed to the restaurant as well as Jouni Meats, Inc.
On Friday, the CDC announced another recall of 550 pounds of ground beef at Gab Halal Foods in Troy, Mich. The recalled products have dates between Dec. 4, 2012 and Dec. 10, 2012 and are in various size packages wrapped in clear plastic. The products did not have a label and also were contaminated with Salmonella Typhimurium, the FSIS said.
The CDC said consumers should check their homes for the recalled ground beef and immediately throw it away. The agency also said never to eat raw or undercooked ground beef at temperatures less than 160°F and to contact your health care provider if you think you have become sick from eating the recalled ground beef.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Qatar's Surging Real Estate Prices Won't Affect Thriving Economy – Report
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8