Coloccini Commits to Newcastle as he Targets European Glory
By Didrik Ottesen | January 29, 2013 11:03 PM EST
Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini has taken a dramatic U-turn by insistsing that he has worked through his problems and is now fully focused on Premier League survival and helping the club achieve European glory.
Speculation regarding the Argentinian's future at Tyneside erupted when a letter posted on San Lorenzo's official website portrayed an unhappy player devastated that a transfer had fallen through.
However, in an interview with the Newcastle Chronicle, Coloccini has now expressed his commitment to the club as well as his admiration for the fans and the manager.
"Everytime I go on the pitch I try to say thank you, I try to give them [the fans] the best performance. That's the way players can say thank you to the fan," said Coloccini.
"In the last few days the newspapers picked up a letter I wrote, the letter is true but the meaning of it is different once translated to English from Spanish.
"I never said that I wanted to go back to San Lorenzo, I never spoke to any team, the only reason to back to Argentina would have been personal problems.
"I'd like to say to the supporters of Newcastle United Football Club that I want to stay here and I thank them for supporting me."
Despite finding themselves in a relegation scrap this season, the club captain admits the dream of European glory is still alive, though the main focus is still to secure 45 points and avoid relegation.
"We have to be ready and realistic, we have to play for 45 points and then see what happens in the future.
"We're playing in the Europa League and that's important as well, when I arrived here I said I would like to play in the Champions League- people said I was I crazy.
"Now we're in the Europa League so we aren't far away, maybe this year hasn't gone like we wanted or expected, but that can happen," Coloccini said.
Newcastle today travel to Aston Villa for a vital game at the bottom of the Premier League, looking to maintain their good record against the Villains who have only won once in the last five meetings between the two teams.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Dota 2 Match Fixing Controversy: Arrow Gaming Disqualified From Summit 2 Tournament [VIDEO]
- Roger Federer Starts Practicing On Clay For The Davis Cup Final
- Manny Pacquiao Blasted For Arrogance, Playing Basketball Month Before Fight Against Chris Algieri
- Toni Nadal Says Roger Federer Is The Greatest Of All Time
- Ronda Rousey Rejects Idea of Fight Between A Man And A Woman In The UFC
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop