Coloccini Commits to Newcastle as he Targets European Glory
By Didrik Ottesen | January 29, 2013 11:03 PM EST
Newcastle captain Fabricio Coloccini has taken a dramatic U-turn by insistsing that he has worked through his problems and is now fully focused on Premier League survival and helping the club achieve European glory.
Speculation regarding the Argentinian's future at Tyneside erupted when a letter posted on San Lorenzo's official website portrayed an unhappy player devastated that a transfer had fallen through.
However, in an interview with the Newcastle Chronicle, Coloccini has now expressed his commitment to the club as well as his admiration for the fans and the manager.
"Everytime I go on the pitch I try to say thank you, I try to give them [the fans] the best performance. That's the way players can say thank you to the fan," said Coloccini.
"In the last few days the newspapers picked up a letter I wrote, the letter is true but the meaning of it is different once translated to English from Spanish.
"I never said that I wanted to go back to San Lorenzo, I never spoke to any team, the only reason to back to Argentina would have been personal problems.
"I'd like to say to the supporters of Newcastle United Football Club that I want to stay here and I thank them for supporting me."
Despite finding themselves in a relegation scrap this season, the club captain admits the dream of European glory is still alive, though the main focus is still to secure 45 points and avoid relegation.
"We have to be ready and realistic, we have to play for 45 points and then see what happens in the future.
"We're playing in the Europa League and that's important as well, when I arrived here I said I would like to play in the Champions League- people said I was I crazy.
"Now we're in the Europa League so we aren't far away, maybe this year hasn't gone like we wanted or expected, but that can happen," Coloccini said.
Newcastle today travel to Aston Villa for a vital game at the bottom of the Premier League, looking to maintain their good record against the Villains who have only won once in the last five meetings between the two teams.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Reasons Why Michael Jordan Is Better Than LeBron James [PHOTOS And VIDEO]
- Jeremy Lin, Kobe Bryant Among The Top 5 Overpaid Players In The NBA (Part 1 - Western Conference)
- Serena Williams Swagger Back After US Open - Mark Hodgkinson
- Manny Pacquiao Is The Greatest Fighter That Ever Lived Declares Magician David Blaine
- Evander Holyfield Says That He Didn’t Make Comments About Floyd Mayweather Fighting With Manny Pacquiao
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best