Saudi Arabian Shops Build Walls to Segregate Men and Women
By Hannah Osborne | January 29, 2013 10:59 PM EST
Shops that employ both men and women in Saudi Arabia must build walls at least 1.6m high to separate the sexes.
Authorities have said separation walls must be built to enforce segregation laws within the country, local media said.
Labour minister Adel Faqih ordered the walls. The move was confirmed by Abdullatif al-Sheik, the head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.
In December, the head of the religious police criticised the labour ministry, saying some women who work in shops are harassed and did not have a good working environment.
Saudi Arabian women long complained about having to buy lingerie from salesmen before male floor staff were banned from such stores in 2011 and replaced with women-only staff.
Basic human rights denied
That led to the creation of more than 44,000 jobs for women and dented the high female unemployment rate of 30 percent.
Sex segregation is already strict in restaurants, as women have to remove their veils to eat. Women must sit in family areas of restaurants, which also have "bachelor" areas for single men. Women cannot eat in restaurants unaccompanied by a man.
Farida Deif, women's rights researcher for the Middle East at Human Rights Watch, said: "The Saudi government sacrifices basic human rights to maintain male control over women. Saudi women won't make any progress until the government ends the abuses that stem from these misguided policies."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Ebola Fears Cause Hysteria In United States And Around The World
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess All Smiles In First Public Appearance, Sickness Seems Over
- Baby Corpses Found in Storage Locker in Canada
- Woman Stuck In Chimney: Genoveva Nunez-Figueroa Arrested For Attempted Break-In After Rescue Team Pulls Stuck Woman Out Of Chimney
- ISIS Taking U.S.-Airdropped Weapons An 'Embarrassment'; Another Yazidi Massacre Looming [VIDEO]
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- The Pirate Bay Blockade: Cost Of Blocking Websites Like TPB Is Ridiculously High
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Virginia Woman Who Posted Naked Image Of Ex-BF’s New Partner 1st Person Charged Under Revenge Porn Law
- No Mercy: ISIS, Father Stones to Death Daughter for Alleged Adultery
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date is Doomed as Team Evad3rs Opts Out, Pangu Hits Snag – Report
- Google Nexus 6 vs. iPhone 5S: 4 Important Things to Consider Before Switching to Android Lollipop