Saudi Arabian Shops Build Walls to Segregate Men and Women
By Hannah Osborne | January 29, 2013 10:59 PM EST
Shops that employ both men and women in Saudi Arabia must build walls at least 1.6m high to separate the sexes.
Authorities have said separation walls must be built to enforce segregation laws within the country, local media said.
Labour minister Adel Faqih ordered the walls. The move was confirmed by Abdullatif al-Sheik, the head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.
In December, the head of the religious police criticised the labour ministry, saying some women who work in shops are harassed and did not have a good working environment.
Saudi Arabian women long complained about having to buy lingerie from salesmen before male floor staff were banned from such stores in 2011 and replaced with women-only staff.
Basic human rights denied
That led to the creation of more than 44,000 jobs for women and dented the high female unemployment rate of 30 percent.
Sex segregation is already strict in restaurants, as women have to remove their veils to eat. Women must sit in family areas of restaurants, which also have "bachelor" areas for single men. Women cannot eat in restaurants unaccompanied by a man.
Farida Deif, women's rights researcher for the Middle East at Human Rights Watch, said: "The Saudi government sacrifices basic human rights to maintain male control over women. Saudi women won't make any progress until the government ends the abuses that stem from these misguided policies."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy:Camilla And Princess Eugenie Reportedly Jealous, Claimed Duchess Only Good At Making Babies
- Pregnant Kate Middleton Wants To Have A Big Family With ‘Five Children’ At Anmer Hall Residence- Reports
- ISIS European Teen Jihadists Allegedly Pregnant; New Zealand Silent On Kiwi Jihadist's Request To Return Home
- New Zealand Scientists Dissect Well-Preserved Female Colossal Squid [VIDEO]
- This Model Thinks She Is A Bombshell After Plastic Surgery Costing £30,000 Makes Her Look Like A Sex Toy
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet