Saudi Arabian Shops Build Walls to Segregate Men and Women
By Hannah Osborne | January 29, 2013 10:59 PM EST
Shops that employ both men and women in Saudi Arabia must build walls at least 1.6m high to separate the sexes.
Authorities have said separation walls must be built to enforce segregation laws within the country, local media said.
Labour minister Adel Faqih ordered the walls. The move was confirmed by Abdullatif al-Sheik, the head of the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice.
In December, the head of the religious police criticised the labour ministry, saying some women who work in shops are harassed and did not have a good working environment.
Saudi Arabian women long complained about having to buy lingerie from salesmen before male floor staff were banned from such stores in 2011 and replaced with women-only staff.
Basic human rights denied
That led to the creation of more than 44,000 jobs for women and dented the high female unemployment rate of 30 percent.
Sex segregation is already strict in restaurants, as women have to remove their veils to eat. Women must sit in family areas of restaurants, which also have "bachelor" areas for single men. Women cannot eat in restaurants unaccompanied by a man.
Farida Deif, women's rights researcher for the Middle East at Human Rights Watch, said: "The Saudi government sacrifices basic human rights to maintain male control over women. Saudi women won't make any progress until the government ends the abuses that stem from these misguided policies."
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- National Ice Cream Day: Most-Ordered Flavors and Toppings by Americans [See Photos]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 2014 Meteor Shower: Where and How to Best View Delta Aquarids Meteor Shower Peak on July 28 and 29
- iPhone 6 releasing Soon, Use Old Smartphones to Save Rainforest
- Lightning Strikes Twice: Australian Woman Had Daughter in MH17 & Brother in MH370
- Prince George’s Birthday Celebrations: Prince Charles and Duchess Camilla to Remain Absent from Grandson's First Birthday Party Plus Other Details- Report
- Happy Birthday Prince George: 5 Things to Know About Kate Middleton and Prince William’s Son
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $499 Comes With 5.5-Inch Quad HD Display, Snapdragon 805 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- End of Times Indicators: Japan’s Mount Fuji in ‘Critical State’ to Erupt, Could Affect At Least 1.2M People