Japan Relaxes Curbs On Beef Imports From Canada
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 10:58 PM EST
Japan's Foreign Ministry announced Monday the government would allow imports of beef from cows up to 30 months old. The previous standard was to ban imports of beef from animals older than 20 months, according to CALGARY HERALD.
The long-awaited amendment is scheduled to come into effect Feb. 1.
"The Government of Canada has reached an agreement with Japan to expand market access to Canadian beef from animals under 30 months of age (UTM) - an improvement over the current requirement which only permits beef exports from animals under 21 months of age," said Agriculture Minister Gerry Ritz and International Trade Minister Ed Fast in a press release Monday.
"As part of our government's plan to create jobs, growth and long-term prosperity for all Canadians by opening new markets, we have been working closely with Japan to expand access for our exporters," said Fast.
"This is an exciting announcement and we've been looking forward to this for quite some time," said Martin Unrau, president of the Canadian Cattlemen's Association, in a press statement.
"This announcement is very significant for Canadian cattle producers. Japan is extremely important market and this expanded access will breathe new life into the Canadian beef sector."
Japan banned beef imports in 2003 from several countries, including U.S. and Canada, after a fatal brain disease that was discovered in a few animals, leading to concern that eating their meat could pose a health risk for humans.
Japan is Canada's third largest export market for beef.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- Celebrities Who Got Pregnant Using IVF: Busting the Myths About IVF
- Lunch with the Gods: Pope Francis Eats with Vatican Workers in Cafeteria
Join the Conversation
- MH17: Separatist Soldier Holds Aussie Reporter at Gun Point
- Australia Asked National Media to Suppress Multi-National Corruption Case: WikiLeaks
- UK Asks NATO to Stand Up to Russia
- U.S. ‘Defends’ Israel for ‘Disgraceful’ Attack on UN School in Gaza that Killed 15
- Gold in China: 127-Tonne Gold Reserves Tapped in Xinjiang
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 6 Most Wanted Feature Upgrades for Next iPhone
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers
- HTC One M8 Windows Phone to Launch for Verizon; Release Date, Price, Five Fresh Features to Anticipate for New Smartphone
- OnePlus One vs. Moto X+1 – Early Specifications, Release Date and Price Faceoff