Arsene Wenger: Barcelona Not Willing to Sell David Villa
By Vishnuprasad S | January 29, 2013 10:09 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has revealed it is unlikely that Arsenal would sign Barcelona forward David Villa in this transfer window, as the Catalans are not willing to sell the Spain international.
Recent reports suggested that the two clubs have opened talks for the 31-year-old, with the Gunners' contract negotiator Dick Law flying in to Barcelona to discuss terms of a transfer. However, Wenger has now stated that the La Liga giants do not want to part with the striker.
"Barca do not want to sell David Villa. They've made that very clear," the Frenchman told Goal.com. When asked if there was any chance for further negotiations, the manager replied: "No."
Arsenal were also understood to have send a delegation to Barcelona three weeks ago, to hold negotiations regarding a transfer. However, the Catalan chiefs informed them the Spaniard was not available either on loan or on a permanent transfer in January.
Villa, who missed much of last season after breaking his leg, has fallen down the pecking at Camp Nou and has managed just 12 starts this season. The forward reportedly even told the club he wants to leave to earn regular first team football. But with the Champions League and La Liga titles still within their grasp, Tito Vilanova wants to keep the La Roja legend in his ranks.
Wenger claimed that Arsenal are still actively searching in the market for a striker but will make an approach only if they find a quality player available.
"What's important is to buy players who can strengthen the squad. Otherwise, you do nothing. We have enough numbers, quality strikers," the 63-year-old pointed out.
The Gunners boss also ruled out a short-term loan move for David Beckham, though the former England captain is set to train at the Emirates.
"He called me. It's purely for fitness, there's no speculation about him signing," Wenger added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Chelsea FC: Mourinho Hints Cesc Fabregas Could Succeed John Terry As Club Captain
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS