Arsene Wenger: Barcelona Not Willing to Sell David Villa
By Vishnuprasad S | January 29, 2013 10:09 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has revealed it is unlikely that Arsenal would sign Barcelona forward David Villa in this transfer window, as the Catalans are not willing to sell the Spain international.
Recent reports suggested that the two clubs have opened talks for the 31-year-old, with the Gunners' contract negotiator Dick Law flying in to Barcelona to discuss terms of a transfer. However, Wenger has now stated that the La Liga giants do not want to part with the striker.
"Barca do not want to sell David Villa. They've made that very clear," the Frenchman told Goal.com. When asked if there was any chance for further negotiations, the manager replied: "No."
Arsenal were also understood to have send a delegation to Barcelona three weeks ago, to hold negotiations regarding a transfer. However, the Catalan chiefs informed them the Spaniard was not available either on loan or on a permanent transfer in January.
Villa, who missed much of last season after breaking his leg, has fallen down the pecking at Camp Nou and has managed just 12 starts this season. The forward reportedly even told the club he wants to leave to earn regular first team football. But with the Champions League and La Liga titles still within their grasp, Tito Vilanova wants to keep the La Roja legend in his ranks.
Wenger claimed that Arsenal are still actively searching in the market for a striker but will make an approach only if they find a quality player available.
"What's important is to buy players who can strengthen the squad. Otherwise, you do nothing. We have enough numbers, quality strikers," the 63-year-old pointed out.
The Gunners boss also ruled out a short-term loan move for David Beckham, though the former England captain is set to train at the Emirates.
"He called me. It's purely for fitness, there's no speculation about him signing," Wenger added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Rafael Nadal’s Retirement Plan Includes Becoming Pro Poker Player; Spaniard To Unveil New Serve at US Open
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More