Arsene Wenger: Barcelona Not Willing to Sell David Villa
By Vishnuprasad S | January 29, 2013 10:09 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has revealed it is unlikely that Arsenal would sign Barcelona forward David Villa in this transfer window, as the Catalans are not willing to sell the Spain international.
Recent reports suggested that the two clubs have opened talks for the 31-year-old, with the Gunners' contract negotiator Dick Law flying in to Barcelona to discuss terms of a transfer. However, Wenger has now stated that the La Liga giants do not want to part with the striker.
"Barca do not want to sell David Villa. They've made that very clear," the Frenchman told Goal.com. When asked if there was any chance for further negotiations, the manager replied: "No."
Arsenal were also understood to have send a delegation to Barcelona three weeks ago, to hold negotiations regarding a transfer. However, the Catalan chiefs informed them the Spaniard was not available either on loan or on a permanent transfer in January.
Villa, who missed much of last season after breaking his leg, has fallen down the pecking at Camp Nou and has managed just 12 starts this season. The forward reportedly even told the club he wants to leave to earn regular first team football. But with the Champions League and La Liga titles still within their grasp, Tito Vilanova wants to keep the La Roja legend in his ranks.
Wenger claimed that Arsenal are still actively searching in the market for a striker but will make an approach only if they find a quality player available.
"What's important is to buy players who can strengthen the squad. Otherwise, you do nothing. We have enough numbers, quality strikers," the 63-year-old pointed out.
The Gunners boss also ruled out a short-term loan move for David Beckham, though the former England captain is set to train at the Emirates.
"He called me. It's purely for fitness, there's no speculation about him signing," Wenger added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- Chelsea FC: Thibaut Courtois Thanks Cech For Tips Following Injury Scare, Not Ready To Relinquish No. 1 Spot
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Xiaomi Mi4 And MiPad Prices Likely Slashed, Thanks To Rivals Oppo, OnePlus And Meizu
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar