Arsene Wenger: Barcelona Not Willing to Sell David Villa
By Vishnuprasad S | January 29, 2013 10:09 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has revealed it is unlikely that Arsenal would sign Barcelona forward David Villa in this transfer window, as the Catalans are not willing to sell the Spain international.
Recent reports suggested that the two clubs have opened talks for the 31-year-old, with the Gunners' contract negotiator Dick Law flying in to Barcelona to discuss terms of a transfer. However, Wenger has now stated that the La Liga giants do not want to part with the striker.
"Barca do not want to sell David Villa. They've made that very clear," the Frenchman told Goal.com. When asked if there was any chance for further negotiations, the manager replied: "No."
Arsenal were also understood to have send a delegation to Barcelona three weeks ago, to hold negotiations regarding a transfer. However, the Catalan chiefs informed them the Spaniard was not available either on loan or on a permanent transfer in January.
Villa, who missed much of last season after breaking his leg, has fallen down the pecking at Camp Nou and has managed just 12 starts this season. The forward reportedly even told the club he wants to leave to earn regular first team football. But with the Champions League and La Liga titles still within their grasp, Tito Vilanova wants to keep the La Roja legend in his ranks.
Wenger claimed that Arsenal are still actively searching in the market for a striker but will make an approach only if they find a quality player available.
"What's important is to buy players who can strengthen the squad. Otherwise, you do nothing. We have enough numbers, quality strikers," the 63-year-old pointed out.
The Gunners boss also ruled out a short-term loan move for David Beckham, though the former England captain is set to train at the Emirates.
"He called me. It's purely for fitness, there's no speculation about him signing," Wenger added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- The Rock Reveals He And John Cena Nearly Fought Backstage [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Begins Training Sans Freddie Roach
- Maria Sharapova And Grigor Dimitrov Break Up News
- Boxing News 2014: Showtime VP Favours Pacquiao As Mayweather’s Next Ring Opponent; Money May Insists Fight Should Be Over Showtime PPV Only
- Three Reasons Why Brock Lesnar Must Fight The Undertaker At Night Of Champions And Not John Cena [VIDEO]
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date