Arsene Wenger: Barcelona Not Willing to Sell David Villa
By Vishnuprasad S | January 29, 2013 10:09 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has revealed it is unlikely that Arsenal would sign Barcelona forward David Villa in this transfer window, as the Catalans are not willing to sell the Spain international.
Recent reports suggested that the two clubs have opened talks for the 31-year-old, with the Gunners' contract negotiator Dick Law flying in to Barcelona to discuss terms of a transfer. However, Wenger has now stated that the La Liga giants do not want to part with the striker.
"Barca do not want to sell David Villa. They've made that very clear," the Frenchman told Goal.com. When asked if there was any chance for further negotiations, the manager replied: "No."
Arsenal were also understood to have send a delegation to Barcelona three weeks ago, to hold negotiations regarding a transfer. However, the Catalan chiefs informed them the Spaniard was not available either on loan or on a permanent transfer in January.
Villa, who missed much of last season after breaking his leg, has fallen down the pecking at Camp Nou and has managed just 12 starts this season. The forward reportedly even told the club he wants to leave to earn regular first team football. But with the Champions League and La Liga titles still within their grasp, Tito Vilanova wants to keep the La Roja legend in his ranks.
Wenger claimed that Arsenal are still actively searching in the market for a striker but will make an approach only if they find a quality player available.
"What's important is to buy players who can strengthen the squad. Otherwise, you do nothing. We have enough numbers, quality strikers," the 63-year-old pointed out.
The Gunners boss also ruled out a short-term loan move for David Beckham, though the former England captain is set to train at the Emirates.
"He called me. It's purely for fitness, there's no speculation about him signing," Wenger added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Dionesian ‘Hex’: Pacquiao’s Secret Weapon Behind His 8 Titles
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- Chris Algieri Exposed, Criticised For Lack Of Desire To Win Against Manny Pacquiao
- Arum Says Pacquiao's Victory vs Algieri May Cause Mayweather To Say ‘No’ To Dream Match
- Boxing News: Manny Pacquiao 'Ready' To Fight Floyd Mayweather In 2015 Following Algieri Win
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues
- HTC One M8 Android 5.0 Lollipop Release Delayed: Other Schedule and Installation Guide
- Israel''s Al Aqsa and East Jerusalem Issues Threatening Its Multi Billion Gas Deal With Jordan