Indian Stocks Advance After RBI Cuts Repo Rate and CRR
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:17 PM EST
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.08 percent or 15.93 points to 20,119.28, and the 50-share NSE Nifty rose 0.26 percent or 15.55 points to 6,090.35.
Markets opened on a flat note and turned lower as investors opted for caution before the RBI's policy review meeting on Tuesday. Markets turned positive after the RBI decided to reduce the repo rate by 25 basis points to 7.75 percent in a move to spur growth in Asia’s second largest emerging economy. The central bank had last cut its repo rate by 50 basis points in April. It also lowered its Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) to 4.0 percent from 4.25 percent.
"RBI has not abandoned its cautious stance, stressing on the 'calibrated and limited' nature of rate support (from) hereon. The scale of rate cuts is closely tied to the government's sustained efforts to correct the twin imbalances and moderating inflation trajectory,” Radhika Rao, economist, Forecast Pte in Singapore, told Reuters.
Among the sectoral indices, banking and metal sector shares gained 0.72 percent and 0.56 percent, respectively, while oil & gas and consumer durables fell 0.81 percent and 0.64 percent, respectively.
In the banking sector, Axis Bank climbed 4.52 percent, ICICI Bank advanced 2.07 percent and Federal Bank rose 1.54 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1232 advanced against 1355 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.10 percent to 6,982.55 and Smallcap Index declined 0.01 percent to 7,161.56. CNX midcap Index declined 0.03 percent and CNX IT fell 0.23 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian markets were trading mixed as market participants opted for caution on some positive US corporate earnings and economic indicators ahead of the Federal Reserve's two-day meet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports