Indian Stocks Advance After RBI Cuts Repo Rate and CRR
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:17 PM EST
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.08 percent or 15.93 points to 20,119.28, and the 50-share NSE Nifty rose 0.26 percent or 15.55 points to 6,090.35.
Markets opened on a flat note and turned lower as investors opted for caution before the RBI's policy review meeting on Tuesday. Markets turned positive after the RBI decided to reduce the repo rate by 25 basis points to 7.75 percent in a move to spur growth in Asia’s second largest emerging economy. The central bank had last cut its repo rate by 50 basis points in April. It also lowered its Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) to 4.0 percent from 4.25 percent.
"RBI has not abandoned its cautious stance, stressing on the 'calibrated and limited' nature of rate support (from) hereon. The scale of rate cuts is closely tied to the government's sustained efforts to correct the twin imbalances and moderating inflation trajectory,” Radhika Rao, economist, Forecast Pte in Singapore, told Reuters.
Among the sectoral indices, banking and metal sector shares gained 0.72 percent and 0.56 percent, respectively, while oil & gas and consumer durables fell 0.81 percent and 0.64 percent, respectively.
In the banking sector, Axis Bank climbed 4.52 percent, ICICI Bank advanced 2.07 percent and Federal Bank rose 1.54 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1232 advanced against 1355 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.10 percent to 6,982.55 and Smallcap Index declined 0.01 percent to 7,161.56. CNX midcap Index declined 0.03 percent and CNX IT fell 0.23 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian markets were trading mixed as market participants opted for caution on some positive US corporate earnings and economic indicators ahead of the Federal Reserve's two-day meet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- South Australia OKs $800M Copper, Gold & Iron Ore Mine on Prime Agri Land in Yorke Peninsula
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 30, 2014
- Shanghai Stock Exchange Will Not Extend Trading Hours
- Long Beach Real Estate Market Is Pricing Out Home Buyers with Limited Budget
- Australian Stock Market Report –Afternoon July 30, 2014
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World