Indian Stocks Advance After RBI Cuts Repo Rate and CRR
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:17 PM EST
The 30-share BSE Sensex gained 0.08 percent or 15.93 points to 20,119.28, and the 50-share NSE Nifty rose 0.26 percent or 15.55 points to 6,090.35.
Markets opened on a flat note and turned lower as investors opted for caution before the RBI's policy review meeting on Tuesday. Markets turned positive after the RBI decided to reduce the repo rate by 25 basis points to 7.75 percent in a move to spur growth in Asia’s second largest emerging economy. The central bank had last cut its repo rate by 50 basis points in April. It also lowered its Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR) to 4.0 percent from 4.25 percent.
"RBI has not abandoned its cautious stance, stressing on the 'calibrated and limited' nature of rate support (from) hereon. The scale of rate cuts is closely tied to the government's sustained efforts to correct the twin imbalances and moderating inflation trajectory,” Radhika Rao, economist, Forecast Pte in Singapore, told Reuters.
Among the sectoral indices, banking and metal sector shares gained 0.72 percent and 0.56 percent, respectively, while oil & gas and consumer durables fell 0.81 percent and 0.64 percent, respectively.
In the banking sector, Axis Bank climbed 4.52 percent, ICICI Bank advanced 2.07 percent and Federal Bank rose 1.54 percent.
The overall market breadth was negative with 1232 advanced against 1355 declines. The BSE's Midcap Index gained 0.10 percent to 6,982.55 and Smallcap Index declined 0.01 percent to 7,161.56. CNX midcap Index declined 0.03 percent and CNX IT fell 0.23 percent.
Meanwhile, Asian markets were trading mixed as market participants opted for caution on some positive US corporate earnings and economic indicators ahead of the Federal Reserve's two-day meet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- Alibaba Okays Yahoo Request to Sell 140 Million Shares Via IPO, 68 Million to Be Sold to Shareholders
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon July 23, 2014
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown