Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Gunners Open Talks for Spanish Striker
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:09 PM EST
Arsenal have reportedly opened talks to sign David Villa from Barcelona, according to Goal.com. The north London club had earlier given up their hope of signing the striker but with the recent breakthrough, the Gunners could possibly land the 31-year-old before the end of this transfer window, and Dick Law - their contract negotiator - has flown to Spain in order to negotiate a deal with the La Liga giants.
The former Valencia star has started just 12 times for the Spanish leaders in all competitions this season. The player has failed to seal a regular place in the Catalan club's starting line up and played his first full 90 minutes since returning from injury during his side's 5-1 win over Osasuna, last weekend.
The lack of first team appearances has frustrated the striker and Goal.com claims Spanish international is very keen to join Arsenal, after failing to make a regular start in Tito Vilanova's line-up.
Arsenal has traditionally never been involved in any big budget signings. However, Arsene Wenger has been a long-time admirer of the striker and the manager has admitted hsi desire to buy a striker before the close of this transfer window. The Frenchman is now set for a £13.8m bid to bring the Spain's leading scorer to the Emirates, which could see Villa earning £110,000-a-week on wages.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has denied any move away from Camp Nou for Villa in January. However, with18 months remaining on his current deal and the club not offering a contract extension yet, it is likely that the Catalans would be looking to cash in on the striker in the current window.
Wenger has now Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud as his first-choice strikers. Should Arsenal manage to sign Villa before the end of this transfer window, it will bolster their chances of finishing in the top four at the end of the season. The Gunners are sixth in the league table with 37 points after 23 games, trailing their archrivals Tottenham Hotspur by four points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin, Chandler Parsons React To 'Role Players' Label By James Harden
- Roger Federer Not That Good If Different Surfaces Were To Exist – Giles Simon
- Jeremy Lin Should Be Ready to Start for Los Angeles Lakers as Steve Nash Confirms Retirement
- Manchester United Transfer News: Arturo Vidal Leaving Juventus for the Red Devils Gaining Momentum
- Dan Bilzerian Opens Up to Howard Stern, Poker Pro Admits He Once Had Sex with 16 Women in 12 Days
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’