Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Gunners Open Talks for Spanish Striker
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:09 PM EST
Arsenal have reportedly opened talks to sign David Villa from Barcelona, according to Goal.com. The north London club had earlier given up their hope of signing the striker but with the recent breakthrough, the Gunners could possibly land the 31-year-old before the end of this transfer window, and Dick Law - their contract negotiator - has flown to Spain in order to negotiate a deal with the La Liga giants.
The former Valencia star has started just 12 times for the Spanish leaders in all competitions this season. The player has failed to seal a regular place in the Catalan club's starting line up and played his first full 90 minutes since returning from injury during his side's 5-1 win over Osasuna, last weekend.
The lack of first team appearances has frustrated the striker and Goal.com claims Spanish international is very keen to join Arsenal, after failing to make a regular start in Tito Vilanova's line-up.
Arsenal has traditionally never been involved in any big budget signings. However, Arsene Wenger has been a long-time admirer of the striker and the manager has admitted hsi desire to buy a striker before the close of this transfer window. The Frenchman is now set for a £13.8m bid to bring the Spain's leading scorer to the Emirates, which could see Villa earning £110,000-a-week on wages.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has denied any move away from Camp Nou for Villa in January. However, with18 months remaining on his current deal and the club not offering a contract extension yet, it is likely that the Catalans would be looking to cash in on the striker in the current window.
Wenger has now Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud as his first-choice strikers. Should Arsenal manage to sign Villa before the end of this transfer window, it will bolster their chances of finishing in the top four at the end of the season. The Gunners are sixth in the league table with 37 points after 23 games, trailing their archrivals Tottenham Hotspur by four points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Full List Of Winners, Miley Cyrus ‘Wrecking Ball’ Bags Video Of The Year [PHOTOS]
- Manny Pacquiao Vs. Chris Algieri World Tour Kick Off Press Conference In Macau [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Jeremy Lin Happy Houston Rockets Sent Him To LA Lakers
- Jeremy Lin's Trade To Los Angeles Lakers Is An Opportunity To Reinvent His Brand
- 2014 FIBA Basketball World Cup Group B Preview, Schedule and Key Players: Argentina, Greece, Croatia Favourites To Top Opening Round
- Floyd Mayweather Proves He Can Read, Releases An Audio Of Him Reading
- Roger Federer and Michael Jordan Collaborate To Create Sneaker History For the US Open 2014
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- Why Moto X is Not the Best Smartphone to Purchase Now?
- Nexus 6 Release Date Will Intro Android 5.0 aka Lemon Meringue Pie with Killer Specs & Features
- Hundreds of Men Rape Teen for Three Years
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Mini vs. LG G3 S (aka LG G3 Beat, LG G3 Mini) – Specs, Features And Price Showdown
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected