Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Gunners Open Talks for Spanish Striker
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:09 PM EST
Arsenal have reportedly opened talks to sign David Villa from Barcelona, according to Goal.com. The north London club had earlier given up their hope of signing the striker but with the recent breakthrough, the Gunners could possibly land the 31-year-old before the end of this transfer window, and Dick Law - their contract negotiator - has flown to Spain in order to negotiate a deal with the La Liga giants.
The former Valencia star has started just 12 times for the Spanish leaders in all competitions this season. The player has failed to seal a regular place in the Catalan club's starting line up and played his first full 90 minutes since returning from injury during his side's 5-1 win over Osasuna, last weekend.
The lack of first team appearances has frustrated the striker and Goal.com claims Spanish international is very keen to join Arsenal, after failing to make a regular start in Tito Vilanova's line-up.
Arsenal has traditionally never been involved in any big budget signings. However, Arsene Wenger has been a long-time admirer of the striker and the manager has admitted hsi desire to buy a striker before the close of this transfer window. The Frenchman is now set for a £13.8m bid to bring the Spain's leading scorer to the Emirates, which could see Villa earning £110,000-a-week on wages.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has denied any move away from Camp Nou for Villa in January. However, with18 months remaining on his current deal and the club not offering a contract extension yet, it is likely that the Catalans would be looking to cash in on the striker in the current window.
Wenger has now Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud as his first-choice strikers. Should Arsenal manage to sign Villa before the end of this transfer window, it will bolster their chances of finishing in the top four at the end of the season. The Gunners are sixth in the league table with 37 points after 23 games, trailing their archrivals Tottenham Hotspur by four points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
- Photos from the Crash Site of Malaysia Airlines MH17 In Ukraine
- Selena Gomez Turns 22 Today, Celebrates Early without Justin Bieber: Top 12 Interesting Facts About the Singer [SEE PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- No Kevin Love to Cleveland, Andrew Wiggins to Stay with Cavaliers
- Jeremy Lin Only an ‘Expiring Contract’ in Los Angeles; Lakers Want Eric Bledsoe
- Jeremy Lin Demands More Playing Time From Lakers Next Season
- $300 Million at Stake for Floyd Mayweather vs. Manny Pacquiao Showdown
- Roger Federer is ‘The Greatest of All Time' - Novak Djokovic’s Coach Boris Becker
- Fresh Leak Hints iPhone 6 Price and Release Date; 4.7-Inches iPhone 6 Sapphire Display Scratched in Test; New Spigen Cases Out
- iPhone 6 2014 Release Date Very Soon as Apple Orders 120M New iPhones from Foxconn – Report
- Google Nexus 6 on Release Date Will Sport 2K Display Panel & Lower Price Tag – Report
- Motorola Moto G Vs. Xiaomi Mi3 – Low in Price, High -level Features
- FCC Approves Sony Xperia Z3 for U.S. Market
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More