Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Gunners Open Talks for Spanish Striker
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:09 PM EST
Arsenal have reportedly opened talks to sign David Villa from Barcelona, according to Goal.com. The north London club had earlier given up their hope of signing the striker but with the recent breakthrough, the Gunners could possibly land the 31-year-old before the end of this transfer window, and Dick Law - their contract negotiator - has flown to Spain in order to negotiate a deal with the La Liga giants.
The former Valencia star has started just 12 times for the Spanish leaders in all competitions this season. The player has failed to seal a regular place in the Catalan club's starting line up and played his first full 90 minutes since returning from injury during his side's 5-1 win over Osasuna, last weekend.
The lack of first team appearances has frustrated the striker and Goal.com claims Spanish international is very keen to join Arsenal, after failing to make a regular start in Tito Vilanova's line-up.
Arsenal has traditionally never been involved in any big budget signings. However, Arsene Wenger has been a long-time admirer of the striker and the manager has admitted hsi desire to buy a striker before the close of this transfer window. The Frenchman is now set for a £13.8m bid to bring the Spain's leading scorer to the Emirates, which could see Villa earning £110,000-a-week on wages.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has denied any move away from Camp Nou for Villa in January. However, with18 months remaining on his current deal and the club not offering a contract extension yet, it is likely that the Catalans would be looking to cash in on the striker in the current window.
Wenger has now Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud as his first-choice strikers. Should Arsenal manage to sign Villa before the end of this transfer window, it will bolster their chances of finishing in the top four at the end of the season. The Gunners are sixth in the league table with 37 points after 23 games, trailing their archrivals Tottenham Hotspur by four points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- Gennady Golovkin Next Fight Options: Canelo Alvarez, Miguel Cotto Or Julio Cesar Chavez Jr.
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal On Roger Federer: ‘He’s A Good Person, A Fantastic Player And A Great Man On Court’
- Jeremy Lin’s Big Break: Steve Nash Out For The Season For The Los Angeles Lakers
- NBA News: Teammate Stresses Jeremy Lin's Importance To The Lakers
- Croatian Boxer Banned For Life From Sport After Vicious Attack On Polish Referee [VIDEO]
- Manny Pacquiao Is Better Than Floyd Mayweather Jr. In Basketball Claims Freddie Roach
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories