Arsenal Transfer Rumour: Gunners Open Talks for Spanish Striker
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 29, 2013 7:09 PM EST
Arsenal have reportedly opened talks to sign David Villa from Barcelona, according to Goal.com. The north London club had earlier given up their hope of signing the striker but with the recent breakthrough, the Gunners could possibly land the 31-year-old before the end of this transfer window, and Dick Law - their contract negotiator - has flown to Spain in order to negotiate a deal with the La Liga giants.
The former Valencia star has started just 12 times for the Spanish leaders in all competitions this season. The player has failed to seal a regular place in the Catalan club's starting line up and played his first full 90 minutes since returning from injury during his side's 5-1 win over Osasuna, last weekend.
The lack of first team appearances has frustrated the striker and Goal.com claims Spanish international is very keen to join Arsenal, after failing to make a regular start in Tito Vilanova's line-up.
Arsenal has traditionally never been involved in any big budget signings. However, Arsene Wenger has been a long-time admirer of the striker and the manager has admitted hsi desire to buy a striker before the close of this transfer window. The Frenchman is now set for a £13.8m bid to bring the Spain's leading scorer to the Emirates, which could see Villa earning £110,000-a-week on wages.
Meanwhile, Barcelona president Sandro Rosell has denied any move away from Camp Nou for Villa in January. However, with18 months remaining on his current deal and the club not offering a contract extension yet, it is likely that the Catalans would be looking to cash in on the striker in the current window.
Wenger has now Theo Walcott and Olivier Giroud as his first-choice strikers. Should Arsenal manage to sign Villa before the end of this transfer window, it will bolster their chances of finishing in the top four at the end of the season. The Gunners are sixth in the league table with 37 points after 23 games, trailing their archrivals Tottenham Hotspur by four points.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ‘Floyd Rhymes With Avoid,’ Says Manny Pacquiao
- Freddie Roach Provoking ‘Washed-Up’ Floyd Mayweather Jr., Says Manny Pacquiao Will KO Undefeated American
- NFL Thanksgiving Games: Chicago Vs. Detroit, Philadelphia Vs. Dallas, And Seattle Vs. San Francisco Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Mayweather Jr. Responds To 2015 Super Fight Talks; American Bashes Pacquiao With Social Media Video Post of Marquez's KO
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Marussia Formula One Team Keeps Its Promise To Injured Driver
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates
- Bill Clinton At It Again, Caught By Camera In Jerusalem Peeking At Woman’s Breast