Rupee Strengthens on RBI Rate Cut; Swap Rates Drop
January 29, 2013 6:39 PM EST
Indian swap rates fell while the rupee strengthened after the central bank cut interest rates by 25 basis points as expected, while also delivering a surprise cut in the cash reserve ratio.
The 1-year overnight index swap (OIS) rate, which is also sensitive to liquidity conditions, fell 5 basis points (bps) to 7.54 percent from levels before the decision. The 5-year OIS rate fell 3 bps to 7.14 percent, according to traders.
The Indian rupee strengthened to 53.79 from around 53.84 before the decision, while the NSE's banking sub-index was up 0.3 percent.
The 10-year bond yield was down 1 bp as the cut in the cash reserve ratio reduced the prospects of bond purchases via open market operations.
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Muslim Leaders Refuse to Approve Tony Abbott’s Terrorism Law
- Australian Tax Office Bitcoin Guidelines a 'Disappointment'; Virtual Currency Not Treated As Money
- American Doctor Dr Kent Brantly Survives Deadly Ebola, Released from Hospital, Sent Home
- Medicinal or Otherwise, Canadian Doctors Oppose Marijuana Smoking
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Apple iPhone 6 Release Date, iPhone 6C or 6L Anticipation: Three Things Should Matter To New Phone Shoppers
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members