Rupee Strengthens on RBI Rate Cut; Swap Rates Drop
January 29, 2013 6:39 PM EST
Indian swap rates fell while the rupee strengthened after the central bank cut interest rates by 25 basis points as expected, while also delivering a surprise cut in the cash reserve ratio.
The 1-year overnight index swap (OIS) rate, which is also sensitive to liquidity conditions, fell 5 basis points (bps) to 7.54 percent from levels before the decision. The 5-year OIS rate fell 3 bps to 7.14 percent, according to traders.
The Indian rupee strengthened to 53.79 from around 53.84 before the decision, while the NSE's banking sub-index was up 0.3 percent.
The 10-year bond yield was down 1 bp as the cut in the cash reserve ratio reduced the prospects of bond purchases via open market operations.
Join the Conversation
- Air Canada Expands Vancouver Boeing 787 Dreamliners To Beijing, Seoul, Shanghai, Tokyo-Narita Routes
- Travel Alert: New Delta Air Lines Airbuses Could Be Seen In Australia Soon
- Walmart Canada Feeling The Heat As Grocery War Intensifies
- Travel Alert: Frequent Flyer Tie-Up Between Virgin Australia, South African Airways Enhanced
- Product Recall: Graco Recalls Baby Strollers in Canada, U.S. Due To Amputation Risks
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Bendable Galaxy S6 Release in 2015 Possible as Samsung Reveals Plans
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports