As Idea Gets Set to Post Results, Watch Bharti Shares
January 29, 2013 6:34 PM EST
* Investors in Bharti Airtel Ltd are keenly waiting rival Idea Cellular Ltd's October-December earnings
results due later in the day.
* Idea is much smaller than Bharti in revenue terms, but both mobile carriers operate on GSM technology and have similar kinds
* As well, both companies' mainstay is second-generation (2G) voice although there has been a greater push in recent months to
increase revenue from mobile data.
* That may help explain why Idea and Bharti shares have seen a correlation of 0.86 in the past three months.
* "Idea's numbers would also answer whether the 2G industry is growing or not, which should have bearing on Bharti too," said
an analyst tracking the sector.