Official: Tottenham Complete Lewis Holtby Move
By Vishnuprasad S | January 29, 2013 6:34 PM EST
Tottenham Hotspur have confirmed that they reached an agreement with Schalke to bring forward Lewis Holtby's transfer to White Hart Lane.
The 22-year-old had already agreed to join Spurs, when his contract with the Bundesliga outfit expires in the summer. However, the transfer has now been pushed ahead, for a fee understood to be in the region of £1.5m.
"We are delighted to announce that we have reached agreement with Schalke for the immediate transfer of Lewis Holtby. The Germany Under-21 captain, who had already agreed terms to join the club this coming summer, has made 27 appearances for the Bundesliga side this season scoring four times ," read a statement on the club's Web site.
"Capped on three occasions by the senior German national side, the versatile midfielder joined Schalke in 2009 from Alemannia Aachen and was loaned out to Bochum and Mainz prior to making his breakthrough with the Gelsenkirchen-based club. Lewis has made 160 appearances in his career to date, scoring 29 times."
Holtby could now make his Tottenham debut in the midweek Premier League game against Norwich City at Carrow Road, as the north London club attempt to bounce back from their FA Cup defeat to Leeds United at the weekend.
AVB Hails Leeds
Meanwhile, Andre Villas-Boas has praised Leeds for being competitive against Spurs. The Championship outfit defeated the Premier League giants 2-1 at Elland Road in the fourth round of the FA Cup, knocking them out of the competition.
"We always had to chase the game at 1-0 and then 2-0 made it even more difficult. The players did extremely well to come back into the game at 2-1, but we couldn't create as many opportunities as we normally do," the Portuguese tactician pointed out.
"That was down to Leeds and how they set up, they got into our faces and made it difficult for us, so credit for them for being so competitive. We didn't have a lot of space, maybe more in the first half and less in the second because they gained inspiration from going 2-0 up," Villas-Boas added.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon