Gays and Bisexual Women More at Risk to Domestic Violence, Rape
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 4:55 PM EST
Violence in homes, stalking, and abuse all seem to be issues most linked to women who may be suffering from physical and verbal abuse from husbands.
But according to findings of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the United States, gays suffer the same risk as heterosexuals, while bisexual women are more likely to be at risk than other women.
In the CDC's National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, released this month, Reuters reports that 44% of lesbians and 61% of bisexuals reported domestic abuse, compared to only 35% of heterosexuals on the same issue.
"Bisexual women had significantly higher prevalence of virtually all types of sexual violence," said the CDC in the report.
In response to this report, the Senate has started to push the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, according to Reuters. Amid CDC findings, part of the renewal would be to include portions stating the protection of the LGBT community.
In Australia, the Queensland Association for Healthy Communities (QAHC) has published a response to the Queensland Government strategy, which mainly targets and deals with domestic and family violence.
According to the report, the QAHC continues to appeal for the health issues in LGBT communities. The QAHC also highlighted a recent national LGBT survey on abuse in these relationships, and found that females suffered more abuse than males at 40.7%, with only 10% of the total number of abuse of the LGBT community being reported to the police.
To further aid the movement, the QAHC has also suggested mobilizing the involvement of LGBT communities of Queensland. As of now, there are only federal funding to the LGBT community for HIV prevention for gay men through the QAHC and Open Doors Youth Service, which helps LGBT homeless youths in Brisbane.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Maria Menounos Lost 40 Pounds; She Follows a Low Carb Vegetarian Diet, Her Weight Loss and Fitness Secrets Revealed
- 'Django Unchained' Actress Danielle Watts Mistaken As Prostitute And Arrested; Accused Police of Racism
- Airborne Version of Ebola Virus Could Wipe Out 1.2 Million; Aussie Doctor Appeals For Help
- A Wife's Happiness is More Crucial Than Her Husband's For a Long Lasting, Happy Marriage, Finds Study
- Kim Kardashian's Pregnancy Glow Returns; Rumour Mill Suggests That Kim Is Pregnant
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date