Gays and Bisexual Women More at Risk to Domestic Violence, Rape
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 4:55 PM EST
Violence in homes, stalking, and abuse all seem to be issues most linked to women who may be suffering from physical and verbal abuse from husbands.
But according to findings of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the United States, gays suffer the same risk as heterosexuals, while bisexual women are more likely to be at risk than other women.
In the CDC's National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, released this month, Reuters reports that 44% of lesbians and 61% of bisexuals reported domestic abuse, compared to only 35% of heterosexuals on the same issue.
"Bisexual women had significantly higher prevalence of virtually all types of sexual violence," said the CDC in the report.
In response to this report, the Senate has started to push the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, according to Reuters. Amid CDC findings, part of the renewal would be to include portions stating the protection of the LGBT community.
In Australia, the Queensland Association for Healthy Communities (QAHC) has published a response to the Queensland Government strategy, which mainly targets and deals with domestic and family violence.
According to the report, the QAHC continues to appeal for the health issues in LGBT communities. The QAHC also highlighted a recent national LGBT survey on abuse in these relationships, and found that females suffered more abuse than males at 40.7%, with only 10% of the total number of abuse of the LGBT community being reported to the police.
To further aid the movement, the QAHC has also suggested mobilizing the involvement of LGBT communities of Queensland. As of now, there are only federal funding to the LGBT community for HIV prevention for gay men through the QAHC and Open Doors Youth Service, which helps LGBT homeless youths in Brisbane.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Reebok Launches Bacon Line to Lure CrossFit and Paleo Diet Fans
- Ebola Virus Vaccine Not Coming Soon Enough; Australia and New Zealand Prepare for Possible Outbreak
- Ebola Outbreak: Some Tips and Precautions to Keep It At Bay
- Most Parents See 'Nothing Wrong' with Overweight or Obese Children
- A Mother Of Two Dies While Undergoing Stem Cell Treatment
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Twin Malaysia Airlines MH370, MH17 Aviation Disasters Create Phobia Among Travellers