Gays and Bisexual Women More at Risk to Domestic Violence, Rape
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 4:55 PM EST
Violence in homes, stalking, and abuse all seem to be issues most linked to women who may be suffering from physical and verbal abuse from husbands.
But according to findings of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the United States, gays suffer the same risk as heterosexuals, while bisexual women are more likely to be at risk than other women.
In the CDC's National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, released this month, Reuters reports that 44% of lesbians and 61% of bisexuals reported domestic abuse, compared to only 35% of heterosexuals on the same issue.
"Bisexual women had significantly higher prevalence of virtually all types of sexual violence," said the CDC in the report.
In response to this report, the Senate has started to push the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, according to Reuters. Amid CDC findings, part of the renewal would be to include portions stating the protection of the LGBT community.
In Australia, the Queensland Association for Healthy Communities (QAHC) has published a response to the Queensland Government strategy, which mainly targets and deals with domestic and family violence.
According to the report, the QAHC continues to appeal for the health issues in LGBT communities. The QAHC also highlighted a recent national LGBT survey on abuse in these relationships, and found that females suffered more abuse than males at 40.7%, with only 10% of the total number of abuse of the LGBT community being reported to the police.
To further aid the movement, the QAHC has also suggested mobilizing the involvement of LGBT communities of Queensland. As of now, there are only federal funding to the LGBT community for HIV prevention for gay men through the QAHC and Open Doors Youth Service, which helps LGBT homeless youths in Brisbane.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince Harry & Camilla Thurlow Getting Serious, St. Tropez Holiday Before The Prince’s 30th Birthday [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
Join the Conversation
- Great-Grandma With Dementia Writes Moving Letter Before Taking Life
- 'Game Of Thrones' Cast Members Nominate Each Other For ALS Ice Bucket Challenge [VIDEOS]
- Refraining from Your Regular Quota of Instant Noodles Might Save Your Life
- Smartphone-Linked 'Bionic' Pancreas More Effective In Diabetes: NSW Researchers
- Thanks to Technology, Young People are Losing the Ability to Read Emotions
- Apple iWatch is iPhone 6 Accessory on Sept 19 Release Date: 6 Confirmed Specs & Features
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Firms Up as iWatch Rollout Delayed to Jan 2015 – Reports
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- James Foley Torture Involves CIA Waterboarding Technique
- Malaysia Airlines to Axe 4,000 Employees, Including CEO; Suspends Trading of Shares
- Verizon on Nationwide Launch of VoLTE
- West Looks Divided in Tackling Russian Invasion In Ukraine