Gays and Bisexual Women More at Risk to Domestic Violence, Rape
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 4:55 PM EST
Violence in homes, stalking, and abuse all seem to be issues most linked to women who may be suffering from physical and verbal abuse from husbands.
But according to findings of the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), in the United States, gays suffer the same risk as heterosexuals, while bisexual women are more likely to be at risk than other women.
In the CDC's National Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey, released this month, Reuters reports that 44% of lesbians and 61% of bisexuals reported domestic abuse, compared to only 35% of heterosexuals on the same issue.
"Bisexual women had significantly higher prevalence of virtually all types of sexual violence," said the CDC in the report.
In response to this report, the Senate has started to push the renewal of the Violence Against Women Act, according to Reuters. Amid CDC findings, part of the renewal would be to include portions stating the protection of the LGBT community.
In Australia, the Queensland Association for Healthy Communities (QAHC) has published a response to the Queensland Government strategy, which mainly targets and deals with domestic and family violence.
According to the report, the QAHC continues to appeal for the health issues in LGBT communities. The QAHC also highlighted a recent national LGBT survey on abuse in these relationships, and found that females suffered more abuse than males at 40.7%, with only 10% of the total number of abuse of the LGBT community being reported to the police.
To further aid the movement, the QAHC has also suggested mobilizing the involvement of LGBT communities of Queensland. As of now, there are only federal funding to the LGBT community for HIV prevention for gay men through the QAHC and Open Doors Youth Service, which helps LGBT homeless youths in Brisbane.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- 12 Terrifyingly Healthy Halloween Treats
- New York Doctor Tests Positive For Ebola
- Kate Middleton Back To Herself After Struggling With Hyperemesis Gravidarum
- Ebola Vaccine: Johnson & Johnson Confident Of Human Trials In January And Market Delivery in May Next Year
- Dead Heart Beats Again, Doctors Use It For Transplant – A World’s First For Australia
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Swedish Military Spots ‘Russian Submarine’ Off Stockholm Coast, An Alarming ‘Security Game Changer’