The Mentalist Season 5 Episode 13, 'Red Barn:' Jane 'very close' to Red John, Ray Haffner returns
By Arlene Paredes | January 29, 2013 4:12 PM EST
The Mentalist Season 5 Episode 13 significantly changed the "Who-is-Red-John" guessing game with the return of CBI supervising agent Ray Haffner and the "Red Barn" case.
Spoiler alert: This article contains spoilers for those who have not seen the "Red Barn" episode of The Mentalist Season 5. Read at your own risk.
Series creator Bruno Heller is clearly teasing the viewers with Patrick Jane's last few lines in the latest episode:
"I recalled all the names of the 2,164 people that I met and shook hands with since Red John murdered my family. I might have missed one or two, but not many." He went on to say that he has narrowed down his list to 408. The Red Barn case further narrowed down the list. And now it seems Jane is about to share to Lisbon (decidedly his partner) the Red John shortlist.
Jane only started listing down names of Red John suspects a couple of episodes ago. Oscar Ardiles, Ellis Mars, Brett Partridge and Virgil Minelli are some of his initial suspects (apparently numbering to over two thousand). Ray Haffner's name was not on the page shown to viewers, but it does not mean he couldn't be Red John. After all, Jane never liked him when he first appeared in Season 4. Fans would also remember that these two shook hands - the very important clue from Lorelei Martins.
It has been hinted a few times in the series that Visualize leader Bret Stiles has links to Red John. Now it's been revealed that Haffner joined Visualize as a teenager. In 1988, at the time of the Red Barn incident, he was 21, physically capable of committing murder. The way Teresa Lisbon casually fired questions at him point in the Red John direction. Could Haffner be Red John?
VIDEO: The Mentalist Season 5 Episode 13, 'Red Barn' Sneak Peek
"We make a quantum leap forward. Jane and the audience will learn something incredibly important about Red John that makes his hunt inches away instead of miles," Heller was quoted by Entertainment Weekly months ago. He certainly was not kidding.
"I'm getting close, Lisbon. I'm getting very close," says Patrick Jane.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 9/11 Dust Cloud Most Likely Have Created Pregnancy Issues: Celebrities Who Posed Nude During Pregnancy
Join the Conversation
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Han Solo's Super Star Destroyer, Costumes And Weapons
- ‘The Big Bang Theory’: Top 5 Revelations Of Season 8
- 'NCIS' Season 12 Spoilers: Ziva David Out, Tony's New Love Could be Stephanie Jacobsen's Leia; Troian Bellisario Teases 'Reunion' Photo
- 'X-Men: Apocalypse' : Wolverine's Costume's Leaked Image Hints to Traditional Look, Hugh Jackman to Play the Character Till Scripts Excite Him
- ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’: Tatooine Set Leaked, Reveals Tusken Raiders Huts
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- iPhone 6 Release Date Remains On Course for Sept-Oct 2014 as Apple Delays iWatch Debut to 2015
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff