Grafton Queensland Flood Peaks at 10.7 Meters
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 3:24 PM EST
NSW record floods have already reached 10.7 meters in Maryborough as of 8:00 a.m. AEST, reports ABC,
Emergency evacuations have started as 2,100 residents of Grafton have been told to evacuate on Tuesday according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
There have also been orders to evacuate Dovedale and North Meadow as per the announcement on the NSW Government page.
More than 7,500 people have been evacuated in Bundaberg, another area which is experiencing the brunt of the record flood, as per ABC's report.
According to authorities, the flood peak has been lower than expected, prompting the potential release of Brisbane's Wivenhoe Dam at a little past noon.
"There has never been a flood of this height in recorded history of Grafton, so for everybody who is trying to work on this and make all of the predictions, there isn't historical data go on. The river is showing signs of dropping further upstream and that is what we have to work with at the moment," said Caroline ORtel, SES regional controller, in a statement in Macedon Ranges Weekly.
Bordermail reports an estimate of 23,000 people who have been displaced and stranded by the flood in the NSW area. Heavy rains have already stopped, but residents should expect isolated rain showers throughout the afternoon of Tuesday.
Emergency assistance is now being dispatched and responded to, reports Bordermail. At least 2,900 emergency calls have already been made in NSW, but the numbers are expected to rise when torrential rains have finally stopped enough for residents to clearly see the potential damage.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the low pressure area will be out to sea by Tuesday, reports Sydney Morning Herald.
For those who need assistance during the floods may call SES on 132-500. Those in life-threatening emergencies should call 000.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Sickness: Prince Harry Cancels His 30th Birthday Party, Opts For Simple Gathering
- 24-year-old Playboy Model Marries 81-year-old Construction Tycoon Richard Lugner
- ISIS Murder Videos 'Turning On' Foreign Jihadists To Fight US and Britain [VIDEO]
- Rare Blue Flawless Diamond, Costing $25.6 Million, Is The Newest Attraction At The Natural History Museum
- Auckland Gay Men Warned of Having Sex in Bushes of Public Park
- iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus vs Galaxy S5 and HTC One M8: Performance, CPU and Health
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence