Grafton Queensland Flood Peaks at 10.7 Meters
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 3:24 PM EST
NSW record floods have already reached 10.7 meters in Maryborough as of 8:00 a.m. AEST, reports ABC,
Emergency evacuations have started as 2,100 residents of Grafton have been told to evacuate on Tuesday according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
There have also been orders to evacuate Dovedale and North Meadow as per the announcement on the NSW Government page.
More than 7,500 people have been evacuated in Bundaberg, another area which is experiencing the brunt of the record flood, as per ABC's report.
According to authorities, the flood peak has been lower than expected, prompting the potential release of Brisbane's Wivenhoe Dam at a little past noon.
"There has never been a flood of this height in recorded history of Grafton, so for everybody who is trying to work on this and make all of the predictions, there isn't historical data go on. The river is showing signs of dropping further upstream and that is what we have to work with at the moment," said Caroline ORtel, SES regional controller, in a statement in Macedon Ranges Weekly.
Bordermail reports an estimate of 23,000 people who have been displaced and stranded by the flood in the NSW area. Heavy rains have already stopped, but residents should expect isolated rain showers throughout the afternoon of Tuesday.
Emergency assistance is now being dispatched and responded to, reports Bordermail. At least 2,900 emergency calls have already been made in NSW, but the numbers are expected to rise when torrential rains have finally stopped enough for residents to clearly see the potential damage.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the low pressure area will be out to sea by Tuesday, reports Sydney Morning Herald.
For those who need assistance during the floods may call SES on 132-500. Those in life-threatening emergencies should call 000.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Japanese Whalers End Pacific Hunt with 115 Whales Dead and No Disruption from Sea Shepherd
- 'Watch the MH17 Plane Missile Hit Video Tape in Mobile' Goes Viral on Facebook
- Viral Video Cyring Sadie: 5-Year-Old Little Girl Does Not Want Her Baby Brother to Grow Up [WATCH VIDEO]
- Australia Ranks High in Human Development Index But Scores Low in Climate Change
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Iran Leader Asks Muslims to Supply Arms to Palestine, Calls Israel ‘Rapacious Wolf’