Grafton Queensland Flood Peaks at 10.7 Meters
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 3:24 PM EST
NSW record floods have already reached 10.7 meters in Maryborough as of 8:00 a.m. AEST, reports ABC,
Emergency evacuations have started as 2,100 residents of Grafton have been told to evacuate on Tuesday according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
There have also been orders to evacuate Dovedale and North Meadow as per the announcement on the NSW Government page.
More than 7,500 people have been evacuated in Bundaberg, another area which is experiencing the brunt of the record flood, as per ABC's report.
According to authorities, the flood peak has been lower than expected, prompting the potential release of Brisbane's Wivenhoe Dam at a little past noon.
"There has never been a flood of this height in recorded history of Grafton, so for everybody who is trying to work on this and make all of the predictions, there isn't historical data go on. The river is showing signs of dropping further upstream and that is what we have to work with at the moment," said Caroline ORtel, SES regional controller, in a statement in Macedon Ranges Weekly.
Bordermail reports an estimate of 23,000 people who have been displaced and stranded by the flood in the NSW area. Heavy rains have already stopped, but residents should expect isolated rain showers throughout the afternoon of Tuesday.
Emergency assistance is now being dispatched and responded to, reports Bordermail. At least 2,900 emergency calls have already been made in NSW, but the numbers are expected to rise when torrential rains have finally stopped enough for residents to clearly see the potential damage.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the low pressure area will be out to sea by Tuesday, reports Sydney Morning Herald.
For those who need assistance during the floods may call SES on 132-500. Those in life-threatening emergencies should call 000.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- ISIS War to Last For 4 Years; US Military Shows Videos of Airstrikes Hitting Militant Base [VIDEO]
- Australia's Chance Of El Niño Rises To 70%; Heatwaves And Drought To Persist
- Australia Joins Global Effort to Stop Russian Website From Illegally Streaming Web Cam Feeds
- Ebola Stock Companies Suspended From Trading For Unverifiable Claims
- Former Malaysian Envoy Denies Assault Charges in New Zealand, Elects Trial By Jury
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- Alleged 'Microsoft Lumia 1030' Front Panel Leaked With Capacitive Buttons; 'Xbox One' Owners To Get Free Goodies On Anniversary
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- Cold War 2: Russia, China And North Korea’s Blacklisted Company Fortify Alliance -- Reports