Grafton Queensland Flood Peaks at 10.7 Meters
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 3:24 PM EST
NSW record floods have already reached 10.7 meters in Maryborough as of 8:00 a.m. AEST, reports ABC,
Emergency evacuations have started as 2,100 residents of Grafton have been told to evacuate on Tuesday according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
There have also been orders to evacuate Dovedale and North Meadow as per the announcement on the NSW Government page.
More than 7,500 people have been evacuated in Bundaberg, another area which is experiencing the brunt of the record flood, as per ABC's report.
According to authorities, the flood peak has been lower than expected, prompting the potential release of Brisbane's Wivenhoe Dam at a little past noon.
"There has never been a flood of this height in recorded history of Grafton, so for everybody who is trying to work on this and make all of the predictions, there isn't historical data go on. The river is showing signs of dropping further upstream and that is what we have to work with at the moment," said Caroline ORtel, SES regional controller, in a statement in Macedon Ranges Weekly.
Bordermail reports an estimate of 23,000 people who have been displaced and stranded by the flood in the NSW area. Heavy rains have already stopped, but residents should expect isolated rain showers throughout the afternoon of Tuesday.
Emergency assistance is now being dispatched and responded to, reports Bordermail. At least 2,900 emergency calls have already been made in NSW, but the numbers are expected to rise when torrential rains have finally stopped enough for residents to clearly see the potential damage.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the low pressure area will be out to sea by Tuesday, reports Sydney Morning Herald.
For those who need assistance during the floods may call SES on 132-500. Those in life-threatening emergencies should call 000.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS