Grafton Queensland Flood Peaks at 10.7 Meters
By Gilda Galang | January 29, 2013 3:24 PM EST
NSW record floods have already reached 10.7 meters in Maryborough as of 8:00 a.m. AEST, reports ABC,
Emergency evacuations have started as 2,100 residents of Grafton have been told to evacuate on Tuesday according to the Sydney Morning Herald.
There have also been orders to evacuate Dovedale and North Meadow as per the announcement on the NSW Government page.
More than 7,500 people have been evacuated in Bundaberg, another area which is experiencing the brunt of the record flood, as per ABC's report.
According to authorities, the flood peak has been lower than expected, prompting the potential release of Brisbane's Wivenhoe Dam at a little past noon.
"There has never been a flood of this height in recorded history of Grafton, so for everybody who is trying to work on this and make all of the predictions, there isn't historical data go on. The river is showing signs of dropping further upstream and that is what we have to work with at the moment," said Caroline ORtel, SES regional controller, in a statement in Macedon Ranges Weekly.
Bordermail reports an estimate of 23,000 people who have been displaced and stranded by the flood in the NSW area. Heavy rains have already stopped, but residents should expect isolated rain showers throughout the afternoon of Tuesday.
Emergency assistance is now being dispatched and responded to, reports Bordermail. At least 2,900 emergency calls have already been made in NSW, but the numbers are expected to rise when torrential rains have finally stopped enough for residents to clearly see the potential damage.
According to the Bureau of Meteorology, the low pressure area will be out to sea by Tuesday, reports Sydney Morning Herald.
For those who need assistance during the floods may call SES on 132-500. Those in life-threatening emergencies should call 000.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Image Of An Alien Revealed By US Intelligence Agent Suggests Existence Of Extraterrestrial Life -- Report
- US Police Officers Shoot 12-Year-Old Child ‘By Mistake’
- Woman Charged For Leaving Her Baby in Drain in Australia Needs 'Compassion' Says Social Worker
- [In Pictures] Police Fire As Protest Turns Into ‘Riot’ After Grand Jury Decision on Ferguson Shooting
- New Zealanders in Australia Consider Moving Back to Home Country For Better Life
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft