Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/29/2013
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 29, 2013 1:58 PM EST
The Australian share market continues to trade at 20 month highs, resuming trade after the Australia Day long weekend on a positive note. Investors are focusing on strong gains on offshore markets at the end of last week, rather than the subdued finish during Monday's session on Wall Street. In early trade, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) rose above 4900 points for the first time since early May 2011, after the Dow Jones Index added 1.8pct over the course of last week.
At lunchtime in the East, the XAO is firmer by 38.4pts or 0.8pct to 4897.3.
Insurer stocks are in focus in the wake of the Queensland cyclone and floods which have wreaked havoc across parts of Australia's East Coast. The Insurance Council of Australia says the losses are currently holding around $43 million, and estimates they could top $50 million. However this should be easily manageable for the insurers. IAG (IAG) has a natural peril allowance of $640 million for the financial year, while Suncorp Group (SUN) has a natural peril allowance of $520 million. Suncorp has received 4,500 claims from the wet weather so far, prompting a broker concern on the insurers. Shares in IAG are down 2.2pct to $4.82 while QBE (QBE) is off 2.6pct to $11.29 and SUN is down 2.5pct to $10.64.
In other news, Leighton Holdings (LEI) has commenced work on the world's largest gaming hub for Wynn resorts in Macau, with the first component of work worth $222 million. LEI shares are firmer by 0.7pct in the early session to $20.15.
The NAB Business survey was released today, showing business confidence rebounded in December following a rate cut and positive developments in the US and China.
Business confidence rose 12pts to an index reading of plus 3.
The Australian dollar is worth US104.39c, £0.6649 and €77.63c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Most Popular Slideshows
- In Photos, Typhoon Rammasun Blasts the Philippines
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday July 23, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report –Midday July 22, 2014
- Major European & U.S. Airlines Cancel Flights to Israel after Rocket Attack on Tel Aviv Airport
- BHP Billiton Goads Abbott Government to Also Repeal Mining Tax Law
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning July 23, 2014
- Google Nexus 8 Release Date Soon Along with 2 More HTC Android Tablets – Reports
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Sony PlayStation 4 Outsells a Resurgent Xbox One in June
- Killer Xiaomi Mi4 at $369 Likely to Come With 5.0-Inch Display, Snapdragon 801 Processor, 3GB RAM and More
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- NVIDIA Shield Gaming Tablet with Tegra K1 SoC Reported to be Released on July 29