Australian Stock Market Report – Midday 1/29/2013
By Juliette Saly, CommSec Market Analyst | January 29, 2013 1:58 PM EST
The Australian share market continues to trade at 20 month highs, resuming trade after the Australia Day long weekend on a positive note. Investors are focusing on strong gains on offshore markets at the end of last week, rather than the subdued finish during Monday's session on Wall Street. In early trade, the All Ordinaries Index (XAO) rose above 4900 points for the first time since early May 2011, after the Dow Jones Index added 1.8pct over the course of last week.
At lunchtime in the East, the XAO is firmer by 38.4pts or 0.8pct to 4897.3.
Insurer stocks are in focus in the wake of the Queensland cyclone and floods which have wreaked havoc across parts of Australia's East Coast. The Insurance Council of Australia says the losses are currently holding around $43 million, and estimates they could top $50 million. However this should be easily manageable for the insurers. IAG (IAG) has a natural peril allowance of $640 million for the financial year, while Suncorp Group (SUN) has a natural peril allowance of $520 million. Suncorp has received 4,500 claims from the wet weather so far, prompting a broker concern on the insurers. Shares in IAG are down 2.2pct to $4.82 while QBE (QBE) is off 2.6pct to $11.29 and SUN is down 2.5pct to $10.64.
In other news, Leighton Holdings (LEI) has commenced work on the world's largest gaming hub for Wynn resorts in Macau, with the first component of work worth $222 million. LEI shares are firmer by 0.7pct in the early session to $20.15.
The NAB Business survey was released today, showing business confidence rebounded in December following a rate cut and positive developments in the US and China.
Business confidence rose 12pts to an index reading of plus 3.
The Australian dollar is worth US104.39c, £0.6649 and €77.63c.
[Kick off your trading day with our newsletter]
More from IBT Markets:
Follow us on Facebook
Follow us on Twitter
Subscribe to get this delivered to your inbox daily
Join the Conversation
- While Asian Property Markets Are Cooling, 92% Of Philippine Real Estate Agents & Brokers Are Positive About Next 12 Months
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 27, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Morning November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Afternoon November 28, 2014
- Australian Stock Market Report – Midday November 28, 2014
- Revealed: Vladimir Putin Plotting To Invade Europe – Report
- 5 Proofs Russia is Geared-Up for Shooting War with U.S. and Can Win Future Nuclear Showdown
- Target’s ‘Surprise Doorbusters’ Black Friday 2014 Deals On TV Sets, Entertainment Centres, DVD Players And More
- IKEA Black Friday 2014 Ad Includes Discounts On Home Furnishings, Appliances, Kitchen Designs, Beds, Sofas, Mattresses And Toys
- T-Mobile’s Black Friday 2014 Deals On Apple iPhone 6, Samsung Galaxy Note 4/Edge, Nexus 6, HTC One M8, LG G3, iPad Air 2 And Mini 3
- ISIS Drug Transit From Afghanistan To Europe Confirmed By Russia: Money Goes Into Terror Funding And In New Recruitments
- Australian and Other Select Earth Locations Hold Proofs Life Once Existed On Mars – Report