BoE's Miles says UK economy to pick up - report
January 29, 2013 1:00 PM EST
David Miles, a member of the Bank of England's monetary policy committee, told The Independent on Tuesday that productive capacity could reduce with continuing weak demand, but he believed British economic growth would pick up in 2013.
"The danger of remaining in a situation where growth and demand are very anaemic and weak is that you actually reduce the productive capacity of the economy", the newspaper quoted Miles as saying.
On the wider economic outlook he said: "I'm a bit more optimistic that growth is going to pick up ... but I suspect that it will still remain for the next year or so beneath what you might call the average cruising speed for the British economy.
"If that is true, I think we will have growth which will not reduce the amount of spare capacity or slack in the economy, and I think domestically generated inflation pressures remain pretty muted."
Miles is advocating more quantitative easing, according to the Independent, because he believes there is still room for a weak economy to grow without increasing inflation.
He described the printing of money as a "very powerful tool" and is at the "optimistic end of the spectrum" as to its effectiveness.
Britain's economy shrank by 0.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012 prompting fears of a triple dip recession.
(Reporting By Costas Pitas; Editing by Eric Meijer and Christopher Wilson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone