BoE's Miles says UK economy to pick up - report
January 29, 2013 1:00 PM EST
David Miles, a member of the Bank of England's monetary policy committee, told The Independent on Tuesday that productive capacity could reduce with continuing weak demand, but he believed British economic growth would pick up in 2013.
"The danger of remaining in a situation where growth and demand are very anaemic and weak is that you actually reduce the productive capacity of the economy", the newspaper quoted Miles as saying.
On the wider economic outlook he said: "I'm a bit more optimistic that growth is going to pick up ... but I suspect that it will still remain for the next year or so beneath what you might call the average cruising speed for the British economy.
"If that is true, I think we will have growth which will not reduce the amount of spare capacity or slack in the economy, and I think domestically generated inflation pressures remain pretty muted."
Miles is advocating more quantitative easing, according to the Independent, because he believes there is still room for a weak economy to grow without increasing inflation.
He described the printing of money as a "very powerful tool" and is at the "optimistic end of the spectrum" as to its effectiveness.
Britain's economy shrank by 0.3 percent in the fourth quarter of 2012 prompting fears of a triple dip recession.
(Reporting By Costas Pitas; Editing by Eric Meijer and Christopher Wilson)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- ‘Lone Wolf’ Attack on Canada Parliament Hill Could be ISIS-Related
- Android Lollipop 5.0 Confirmed for Nov 3 Rollout as Nexus 6 Global Release Date is Delayed – Reports