Tiger Woods’ 8th Time Win at Torrey Pines
By Czarina Malleta | January 29, 2013 12:32 PM EST
Tiger Woods managed to close his 75th career win for the PGA Tour on Monday. Woods stretched a six-shot lead with 11 holes remaining in the final round of the Farmer's Insurance Open.
The former number one when it comes to golf and a six-time winner of the PGA Tour event at Torrey Pines proved that he has not lost his flair when it comes to the beloved sport. Woods managed to birdie three of his first seven holes until the game was suspended for the day.
Woods was able to close the game with a four-shot victory and picked up his 8th win at the Torrey Pines, which also included the 2008 U.S. Open.
Tied in second place was fellow American Nick Watney after completing 8 holes. PGA Tour rookie Brad Fritsch was two strokes back at nine after seven holes.
But it looks like Woods was in full command for victory and in his comfort zone at one of his most favorite venues, the Torrey Pines. Among his many victories, Tiger has recorded seven wins at the WGC-Bridgestone Invitational and at the Arnold Palmer Invitational.
"I played well today. Overall, I'm very pleased that I was able to build on my lead. As of right now, I've got a six-shot lead, so that's a positive," Woods said to the reporters. "I've got to continue with executing my game plan. That's the idea. I've got 11 holes to play, and I've got to go out there and play them well."
Reminding everyone how good he used to be in the field, Woods looked sharp as he doubled his lead by his shot of three-under-par 69 in the third round. Tiger definitely made an impression of his old dominant self while he looked cutting at every swing that led to another win at the PGA Tour.
One of Wood's competitors, Brandt Snedeker, who won in 2012 while Tiger was absent said that the tournament would be interesting since the old champ is back.
"He adds a little bit more electricity to the tournament," Snedeker said. "I've got a guy at the top of the leader board that doesn't like giving up leads, so I have to go catch him."
Watch the video below for ESPN's commentary on Woods' win at the Torrey Pines.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis Meets Sudanese Woman Who Was Spared Death for Apostasy (PHOTOS)
- Malaysia Airlines Flight MH17: King Williem-Alexander, Queen Maxima Hold Solemn Reception Ceremony for Victims
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Rafael Nadal Set To Overtake Roger Federer Grand Slam Haul By 2017
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Rumours Spice Up as Balotelli is Spotted in New York, where Gunners will Hold Pre-season Camp [PHOTOS]
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- HTC Google Nexus 8 Release Date Imminent with New Nexus 7 Deals, Two New Tablets Soon
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- HTC One E8 (Plastic Variant of HTC One M8) with 5-Inch Display, Dual-SIM, 801 Processor and 2 GB RAM to Hit New Markets Soon
- iPhone 6 Release Date in September 26 with Price Details and More Killer Features
- Apple iPad Mini Air: Three Fresh Features on the Smart Tablet to Wait for
- 4.7-Inch iPhone 6 Release Date is Sept 26 after iOS 8 GM Public Debut on Sept 17 – Reports