Harry Potter Actress Miriam Margolyes Takes Citizenship Oath on Australia Day
By Vittorio Hernandez | January 29, 2013 9:07 AM EST
To celebrate Australia Day, 17,059 people from 145 nations took their citizenship oath as Australians on Saturday. Among them is British actress Miriam Margolyes, best known for her role as Professor Pomona Sprout in the Harry Potter series.
She came out in two out of the seven blockbuster Harry Potter movies, but her character actually came out in five of the seven books.
She moved to Australia in the 1980s and she currently resides in the Southern Highlands.
Ms Margolyes told Australia News that she is a bit nervous about her taking her citizenship because she is afraid of making mistakes. She explained that she took long in acquiring Aussie citizenship because she wasn't sure during her early years in Australia, but she pointed out "And now I am."
The actress, who admitted being a lesbian, said she moved to Australia because she fell in love with an Aussie woman. She took her citizenship oath before Prime Minister Julia Gillard, who also administered the oath of citizenship to another British-born actor, Ian Mears.
Ms Margolyes was also known for her performance in Romeo and Juliet and Blackladder. To show her support for her local community, she launched a one-woman show to boost the cultural programme of Clapham Omnibus, which advocates the saving of the local library building and to create a vibrant arts venue when the library moves. Here is a video clip of her performance.
Only 22 immigrants were personally welcomed as new citizens by Ms Gillard in a ceremony held on the shores of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra. The rite opened with the raising of three flag, a Royal Australian Air Force flyover and a 21-gun salute.
"This is your new country, and you'll never want for another . . . Whether yours was a flight across the Tasman that lasted hours or a flight from persecution that lasted years, those journeys measured in time and distance are over now. A new journey, a journey of the heart and spirit can begin," Ms Gillard said.
Oaths of citizenship were administered across Australia. Opposition leader Tony Abbott participated in the rites in Adelaide at the Flenelg foreshore, while 3,800 people participated in New South Wales in ceremonies led by Sydney Lord Mayor Clover Moore.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Taylor Swift Named People's Best Dressed Stars Of 2014 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- ‘America’s Got Talent’ (AGT) Season 9 (2014) Finale Performance Episode Recap, Spoilers: 6 Finalists Perform Their Last Acts To Win Finals
- ‘Dancing With The Stars’ (DWTS) Season 19 (2014) Winner Predictions: Fellow Contestants And Betting Odds Predict Who Could Win Mirror Ball Trophy
- ‘American Horror Story’ Season 4 ‘Freak Show’ Update: Skyler Samuels Roped In To Play Pivotal Role, Extended Teaser Released [VIDEO]
- Robert Pattinson And FKA Twigs Romance: Singer’s Twitter Post Sparks Pregnancy Reports Speculating The Couple Is Expecting Their First Baby
- ‘The Bachelor Australia’ Season 2 Preview: Sam’s Fairy Tale Date, Belly Dancing Time, Who Exits
- iOS 8 Release Date Of Sept 17 Has Arrived: Update Begins At 10AM Pacific Time, Upgrade Your iDevices With iOS 7.1.2 First To Install iOS 8
- Why Samsung Galaxy S5 Is Not The Best Smartphone To Purchase Now? If You Still Want To, Wait For A Month To Get It Cheap
- Apple iPad Air 2, iPad Mini 3 October Release Date Roundup: Freshly Leaked Protective Case Debuts Unique Vent Alongside Camera
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- Canadian IS Jihadist Wants to ‘Play Soccer’ with Heads of US Decapitated Soldiers
- Warning to U.S. – ISIS Has Shot Down a Syrian Regime Fighter Jet
- Spice Dream Uno vs Xiaomi Redmi 1S: Android One Smartphone to Challenge The Existing Budget Friendly Smartphone