Iran Unveils Finger Amputating Machine for Convicted Thieves
By Ewan Palmer | January 29, 2013 4:33 AM EST
Iran has unveiled a medieval-style machine that saws of the fingers of criminals at public amputations.
The Iranian news agency INSA has published photographs showing a blindfolded man having his hand placed into the vice by three men wearing balaclavas. One of the men then turns a wheel which operates a guillotine similar to a rotary saw.
According to the INSA news service, the man was sentenced to have his fingers amputated after he was found guilty theft and adultery by a court in Shiraz. He was also accused of being at the head of a criminal organisation.
In addition to the public amputation, the man was also sentenced three years in prison and 99 whip lashes.
The thief does not appear to be in any great pain in the photographs, leading to speculation he was either drugged beforehand or that the photos have been published to warn Iranians from committing crimes or protests in the future.
Speaking to France 24, Iran Human Rights spokesperson Mahmoud Amiry-Moghaddam said: "What is surprising about this is that not only was this a public amputation, but that photos of it were distributed by official press agencies, and that they showed a machine that we had until yet never seen images of.
"We have noticed that the authorities have recently being making more and more publicity surrounding cases of corporal punishment.
"Every time we get closer to an election, the number of these incidents increases. And we're getting quite close to the presidential election. I believe this is a strategy to instil fear in the population so as to avoid any protests."
Following the amputation, Ali Alghasi, Shiraz's public prosecutor, announced that sentencing and punishment for convicted against criminals would become increasingly severe, but did not explain why.
Two thieves were hanged in public in Tehran on 20 January having being caught the robbing a man the equivalent of £16 at knifepoint.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 3: Kansas City Royals 3, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Six English Words Which Originated From Arabic
- ISIS Educates Young Children in 'School of Jihad,' Deploys Them in Active Combat After Graduation [VIDEO]
- Robots May Be Used to Fight Ebola in West Africa; Australian PM Admits US, UK Asked For Medical Teams
- Decades-Long Mystery of Oklahoma Lake Solved, Missing Six Bodies Identified
- Belgium Chocolate Maker ISIS Forced To Change Brand Name To Escape Customer Fury
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- U.S. Targets Buyers of ISIS Oil, Threatens Sanctions
- ISIS Syria Airstrike Bombing Has Killed 550 People, Civilians Included
- Russia Blocking OSCE Monitoring Of Its Border With Ukraine
- Russia Slams US 'Double Standards' In The Fight Against ISIS