Iran Unveils Finger Amputating Machine for Convicted Thieves
By Ewan Palmer | January 29, 2013 4:33 AM EST
Iran has unveiled a medieval-style machine that saws of the fingers of criminals at public amputations.
The Iranian news agency INSA has published photographs showing a blindfolded man having his hand placed into the vice by three men wearing balaclavas. One of the men then turns a wheel which operates a guillotine similar to a rotary saw.
According to the INSA news service, the man was sentenced to have his fingers amputated after he was found guilty theft and adultery by a court in Shiraz. He was also accused of being at the head of a criminal organisation.
In addition to the public amputation, the man was also sentenced three years in prison and 99 whip lashes.
The thief does not appear to be in any great pain in the photographs, leading to speculation he was either drugged beforehand or that the photos have been published to warn Iranians from committing crimes or protests in the future.
Speaking to France 24, Iran Human Rights spokesperson Mahmoud Amiry-Moghaddam said: "What is surprising about this is that not only was this a public amputation, but that photos of it were distributed by official press agencies, and that they showed a machine that we had until yet never seen images of.
"We have noticed that the authorities have recently being making more and more publicity surrounding cases of corporal punishment.
"Every time we get closer to an election, the number of these incidents increases. And we're getting quite close to the presidential election. I believe this is a strategy to instil fear in the population so as to avoid any protests."
Following the amputation, Ali Alghasi, Shiraz's public prosecutor, announced that sentencing and punishment for convicted against criminals would become increasingly severe, but did not explain why.
Two thieves were hanged in public in Tehran on 20 January having being caught the robbing a man the equivalent of £16 at knifepoint.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Kate Middleton Pregnancy Update: Duchess Has ‘Strict Style Guide,’ Expected To Wear Winter Wardrobes During Pregnancy
- New Zealand Pre-schooler Suffers Attack For Wearing A Jewish Cap; Anti-Semitic Act Condemned
- Bizarre Sex Abuse: Man Licks Woman’s Foot in Canada, Runs Away With Her Shoe
- Canadian Soldier Dies in 'Freak Accident' at Work
- Russia's New Tactical Nuclear Weapons Program Growing Confident Against the US: Talks of World War III
- Apple and Google Engage in Thermonuclear War, New Google Translate Chat App in the Works
- Walmart Offers the Best 2014 Black Friday Deals on iPhone 6, iPad Ai2 & Other Gadgets – Reports
- Chris Algieri’s Battered Face Trends On Social Media
- Update Samsung Galaxy S5 to Android 4.4.4 KitKat, Sprint Release and Installation
- Highest Paid NBA Players 2014: NBA Stars Who Earn More Than LeBron James
- More Nexus 6 Problems Arise with Android 5.0 Lollipop, Poor Benchmark Results and Other Issues