Iran Unveils Finger Amputating Machine for Convicted Thieves
By Ewan Palmer | January 29, 2013 4:33 AM EST
Iran has unveiled a medieval-style machine that saws of the fingers of criminals at public amputations.
The Iranian news agency INSA has published photographs showing a blindfolded man having his hand placed into the vice by three men wearing balaclavas. One of the men then turns a wheel which operates a guillotine similar to a rotary saw.
According to the INSA news service, the man was sentenced to have his fingers amputated after he was found guilty theft and adultery by a court in Shiraz. He was also accused of being at the head of a criminal organisation.
In addition to the public amputation, the man was also sentenced three years in prison and 99 whip lashes.
The thief does not appear to be in any great pain in the photographs, leading to speculation he was either drugged beforehand or that the photos have been published to warn Iranians from committing crimes or protests in the future.
Speaking to France 24, Iran Human Rights spokesperson Mahmoud Amiry-Moghaddam said: "What is surprising about this is that not only was this a public amputation, but that photos of it were distributed by official press agencies, and that they showed a machine that we had until yet never seen images of.
"We have noticed that the authorities have recently being making more and more publicity surrounding cases of corporal punishment.
"Every time we get closer to an election, the number of these incidents increases. And we're getting quite close to the presidential election. I believe this is a strategy to instil fear in the population so as to avoid any protests."
Following the amputation, Ali Alghasi, Shiraz's public prosecutor, announced that sentencing and punishment for convicted against criminals would become increasingly severe, but did not explain why.
Two thieves were hanged in public in Tehran on 20 January having being caught the robbing a man the equivalent of £16 at knifepoint.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Washington Redskins 20, Dallas Cowboys 17 (OT) [PHOTOS]
- Emma Watson Gets 'Squished' In 'Colonia Dignidad' [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 6: Kansas City Royals 10, San Francisco Giants 0 [PHOTOS]
- San Francisco Giants Beat Kansas City Royals, 3-2 In Game 7, Wins 2014 MLB World Series [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Brisbane Woman Performs Sex With Dog, Gets Charged With Bestiality
- Top 5 Halloween 2014 Costume Ideas For Teen Boys
- ISIS Parades 30 Sunni Tribesmen Before Shooting Them Dead In Iraqi Town
- Video Showing Woman Getting Sexually Harassed on New York Streets Goes Viral
- Early Heat Wave Breaks Records In Australia; Lighting Storms Spark Bushfires In Queensland [VIDEO]
- Marvel Announces Release Dates Of 11 Upcoming Movies From 2015 To 2019
- Xiaomi Becomes World’s Third Largest Smartphone Manufacturer By Dethroning Huawei
- Entry Of Peshmerga Fighters From Iraq Boosts The Kobani Battle Against ISIS: Turkey Provides Transit
- Nokia Lumia 730 v. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 9 Buyers on November Release Will Enjoy These 3 Killer Lollipop 5.0 Features First
- Australia Special Forces Await 'Delayed' Iraqi Visas Before Joining ISIS Fight
- Woman Hanged In Iran Talks Abuse In Prison, Left Chilling Message To Family