From Jennifer Lawrence's 'Super Sweet 16' To Ben Affleck's 'Burger King' Ad: 10 Stars Who Got Their Start In Embarassing Commercials
January 29, 2013 3:52 AM EST
While accepting the award for Outstanding Female Actor at the 2013 SAG Awards on Sunday, "Silver Linings Playbook" star Jennifer Lawrence acknowledged she owed some of her success to a commercial she did for MTV's "My Super Sweet 16."
"I want to thank MTV," Lawrence said. "I'll explain that. I earned my SAG card when I was 14. I did an MTV promo for 'My Super Sweet 16.' And I remember getting it in the mail and it being the best day of my entire life, because it officially made me a professional actor, which put me in the category with all of you."
Viacom has since removed any trace of the promo from the web but there are plenty of other readily available commercials featuring stars before they were famous.
In 1987, "Matrix" star Keanu Reeves appeared in a Corn Flakes ad as a waiter who can't seem to get enough of the cereal.
Before she was an award-winning actress and writer for hit shows like "Saturday Night Live" and "30 Rock," Tina Fey appeared in an awkward commercial for Mutual Savings Bank. The 1995 TV spot was filmed while Fey was a member of Chicago's famed improv troupe Second City.
He may have shot to fame after his riveting performance in "Shame" but in 2004 Irish actor Michael Fassbender was simply known as the guy from the Guinness commercial.
In 1988, Brad Pitt appeared as a shirtless surfer dude in a colorful advert for Pringles potato chips. A few years later, the actor would take on his breakout role in the 1991 comedy "Thelma and Louise."
"Django Unchained" star Leonardo DiCaprio was 14 years old when he appeared in a 1988 commercial for Bubble Yum.
Today, Ben Affleck is a remarkable Hollywood success story but in 1989 the "Argo" director was just getting his start in the industry. Affleck, then 17, starred in a charming Burger King promo.
In 1988, Salma Hayek appeared in a Mexican promo for the South American fast food chain Burger Boy.
In 1989, everyone's favorite regional "Office" manager starred in an ad for the Chicago catering company Brown's Chicken.
Channing Tatum may not be ashamed of his stripper past but the "Magic Mike" star may feel differently about his cheesy 2002 Mountain Dew commercial.
Lindsay Lohan was just nine years old when she appeared alongside Bill Cosby in a 1996 Jello commercial.
Just before becoming a member of the "Mickey Mouse" club, 12-year-old Britney Spears starred in a 1993 BBQ Sauce commercial.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- G20 Summit Awkward Moments: Putin Yawns, Mystery Bubbles Appear, F18 Drama Ensues
- Real Life ‘Frozen’: Snow Overwhelms The US, Kills 7; More To Come (Pictures)
- Angelina Jolie, Brad Pitt in Sydney for ‘Unbroken’ Red Carpet Premiere [PHOTOS]
- ‘The Walking Dead’ Season 5, Episode 8 Spoilers: Daryl Dixon Is Set To Burn The Place Down in ‘Coda’
Join the Conversation
- The Burka Avenger Educates Children While Fighting For Girls' Education Rights In New Pakistan TV Show
- Christopher Walken To Play Mob Boss In Film Adaptation Of Four Seasons Musical 'Jersey Boys'
- William Cantrell Mistakes Human Ashes For Cocaine, May Have Snorted Remains
- Giant Alligator Eats 80-Pound Dog In North Carolina, Gator May Still Be Alive
- Steve McQueen's Last Ride, 1952 Custom Chevy Pickup Truck, Hits The Auction Block
- Walmart Early Price Matching Special Event On Nov. 21, 2014 Matches Its Competitors' Black Friday 2014 Prices And Includes Exclusive Deals For Samsung LED HDTVs And iPad Air 2 [WATCH VIDEO]
- Microsoft Band Wearable Gadget At $199 Is A Sell-Out
- 6 Big Reasons iPhone 6 Plus is Must-Have Black Friday, Christmas 2014 Buy
- NATO To Russia: 'Pull Back Your Troops'
- US Plane Flying Over Russian Skies Spotted; Vladimir Putin Ready For 'Practical Cooperation' With US
- Nexus 6 Release Date And Price Under AT&T, T-Mobile And Sprint Listed
- Germany, Not U.S., Is The World’s Favorite Country; UK, Canada, Australia Maintain Top 10 Spots