England Star to Miss Six Nation Opener versus Scotland
By Didrik Ottesen | January 29, 2013 3:55 AM EST
England have been dealth a huge blow after learning that centre Manu Tuilagi will miss the Six Nations opener against Scotland due to an ankle injury.
Tuilagi, 21, shone in England's surprise 38-21 win over New Zealand last autumn, scoring one try and creating two others and would have been almost certain to start against Scotland.
However, he should only miss one game after head coach Stuart Lancaster said he expected Tuilagi to be back in full training next Tuesday or Wednesday and therefore would be available for selection for the game against Ireland.
"Manu is a big loss- he was outstanding against New Zealand, but he missed the first two games of last year's Six Nation's because of an injury and it's an opportunity for someone else," Lancaster told the BBC.
"By the end of the week we expect Manu to be running fully and changing direction.
"He'll be training fully by Tuesday or Wednesday next week, but I'll need to make a call earlier in the week, he won't be training properly until at least Friday," Lancaster said.
Lancaster is already without fly-half Freddie Bruns, prop Alex Corbisiero and flankers Tom Johnson and Calum Clark for the entire tournament and Tuilagi's absence consequently means that the England coach has to find a new partner for Saracens' Brad Barritt.
"We have a pretty good idea of how we'll rejig the midfield, we have our thoughts," Lancaster said.
Subsequently the absence of fly-half Freddie Burns, who made a very impressive debut as a replacement against the All Blacks, means that Lancaster is left with a straight choice between Owen Farrell and Toby Flood.
The first round of the Six Nations will be played Saturday, February 2nd.
England's complete casualty list:
Calum Clark (flanker) - out of whole Six Nations
Tom Johnson (flanker) - out of whole Six Nations
Alex Corbisiero (prop) - out of whole Six Nations
Freddie Burns (fly-half) - will miss first two games
Manu Tuilagi (centre) - out for Scotland game at least
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Sharapova, Halep, Ivanovic, Wozniacki, Kvitova, Radwanska, Kerber Make Early Commitment To Stuttgart Open
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Black Friday And Cyber Monday Sale 2014: AT&T's Cricket Wireless Offers Discounts On Lumia 1320, Galaxy S5, S4 And HTC Desire 510
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- ISIS Kidnaps Iraqi Defence Minister’s Family, Executes Female Parliament Candidates