Brazil Nightclub Fire: Lady Gaga Prays for Victims as Police Make Arrests
By Toyin Owoseje | January 29, 2013 2:25 AM EST
Pop star Lady Gaga has led the celebrity tributes following the tragic Brazilian nightclub fire which claimed 232 lives.
The 26-year-old star used social network to expressed her sadness and send her condolences to those who lost loved ones after hearing about the tragedy.
She shared a picture of herself praying with her 33.5million followers on Twitter and included also posted the message: "Sending my prayers to the families and friends who lost loved one in the fire in Brazil. I'm thinking of you today during this tragedy.
"My heart is with you Brazil."
In the image the Paparazzi hit maker can be seen make-up free and lying in bed with her hands clasped together.
Brazilian police have arrested three people in connection with a fire at a nightclub that killed 231 people in the southern city of Santa Maria on Sunday.
An owner of the Kiss nightclub, a member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, and its security chief were being questioned, police said.
The New-York born star was a particularly affected by the Santa Maria tragedy after discovering that one of her 'little monsters' (as her fans are known) has died in the blaze.
Gaga previously retweeted a message from a follower which revealed the tragic demise of one of her fans.
"A Little Monster died in a tragedy here in Brazil! His name is Luiz Felipe! Mother Monster Pray for him! @ladygaga #PrayForSantaMaria +181," the message read.
In the early hours of 26 January a fire ravaged through the Boate Kiss nightclub, killing party goers aged between 16 students and 20.
According to local reports, many of the victims died inhaling toxic fumes during the rush to escape through the venue's single exit.
It is believed to be the second worst fire tragedy in Brazil after a devastating circus blaze in 1961 that killed more than 500 people.
Other stars including Demi Lovato, and Will.i.am reacted with shock and disbelief.
X Factor USA judge Lovato tweeted: "So sad to hear about the nightclub fire in Brazil. Such a tragedy. Praying for everyone affected down there."
Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am said "I am so sad to hear the sad news about my lovely brazil...#PrayforSantaMaria and the families who lost loved ones in this tragedy."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Orange is the New Black Season 3: Laura Prepon Hints Strain in Alex, Piper Relationship, New Actor Roped-in [Spoilers]
- The Big Bang Theory: Mayim Bialik Talks about Sheldon, Amy Kiss in Season 7 [KISS VIDEO]
- True Blood Spoilers: Alcide Killed because Season 7 is Bill, Sookie’s Season
- Rob Kardashian's Ex-Girlfriend Adrienne Bailon FInally Removes Cheating Reality Star's Name from Her Butt
- Grey's Anatomy Season 11 Spoilers: Calzona Still on Shaky Ground, April's Baby Bump Gets Real, Karev vs Bailey Anticipated
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: Schedule and How to Install