Brazil Nightclub Fire: Lady Gaga Prays for Victims as Police Make Arrests
By Toyin Owoseje | January 29, 2013 2:25 AM EST
Pop star Lady Gaga has led the celebrity tributes following the tragic Brazilian nightclub fire which claimed 232 lives.
The 26-year-old star used social network to expressed her sadness and send her condolences to those who lost loved ones after hearing about the tragedy.
She shared a picture of herself praying with her 33.5million followers on Twitter and included also posted the message: "Sending my prayers to the families and friends who lost loved one in the fire in Brazil. I'm thinking of you today during this tragedy.
"My heart is with you Brazil."
In the image the Paparazzi hit maker can be seen make-up free and lying in bed with her hands clasped together.
Brazilian police have arrested three people in connection with a fire at a nightclub that killed 231 people in the southern city of Santa Maria on Sunday.
An owner of the Kiss nightclub, a member of the band Gurizada Fandangueira, and its security chief were being questioned, police said.
The New-York born star was a particularly affected by the Santa Maria tragedy after discovering that one of her 'little monsters' (as her fans are known) has died in the blaze.
Gaga previously retweeted a message from a follower which revealed the tragic demise of one of her fans.
"A Little Monster died in a tragedy here in Brazil! His name is Luiz Felipe! Mother Monster Pray for him! @ladygaga #PrayForSantaMaria +181," the message read.
In the early hours of 26 January a fire ravaged through the Boate Kiss nightclub, killing party goers aged between 16 students and 20.
According to local reports, many of the victims died inhaling toxic fumes during the rush to escape through the venue's single exit.
It is believed to be the second worst fire tragedy in Brazil after a devastating circus blaze in 1961 that killed more than 500 people.
Other stars including Demi Lovato, and Will.i.am reacted with shock and disbelief.
X Factor USA judge Lovato tweeted: "So sad to hear about the nightclub fire in Brazil. Such a tragedy. Praying for everyone affected down there."
Black Eyed Peas frontman Will.i.am said "I am so sad to hear the sad news about my lovely brazil...#PrayforSantaMaria and the families who lost loved ones in this tragedy."
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Top 5 Richest Tennis Athletes
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt Heads to Malta For New Movie After A Whirlwind French Wedding [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open Update (Day 4 - Men's Singles): Murray, Djokovic, Raonic and Isner Advance to 3rd Round [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
Join the Conversation
- Mila Kunis-Ashton Kutcher Baby; Actor ‘Not Letting Mila Out Of His Sight’
- ‘Sons of Anarchy’ Season 7 Exclusive New Trailer, Charlie Hunnam Is Guy Ritchie’s Choice For King Arthur [VIDEO]
- ‘Castle’ Update: Watch Stana Katic, Jon, Seamus Take Bucket Challenge At Season 7 Set, Nathan Fillion Missing [VIDEOS]
- ‘Fast and Furious’ 7 New Car Revealed To Be a Humvee
- Hilarious Reactions For Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Secret Wedding: George Clooney, Jennifer Aniston, Billy Bob Thornton
- Sept 19 iPhone 6 Release Date Confirmed as Apple Sets Sept 9 iWatch, 2 iPhones Intro - Report
- iPhone 6 Release Date Update: 4.7-Inch Model Scores 65.8% In Screen-To-Size Ratio; A Surprise Entry Scales Top Spot [List Attached]
- Product Recall Alert: Hewlett-Packard Pulls Out 6M Power Cords from US, Canada Over Fire Hazard Concerns, Australia Also Affected
- ISIS Wants $6.6M and Release of Aafia Siddiqui in Exchange of Head of Female US Humanitarian Aid Worker, 1st American Fighting for Jihadis Dead
- Canada Vs Russia War Erupts Via Twitter on Russia-Not Russia Maps
- Ukraine Ceasefire Looks Remote As Putin Talks Tough At Meeting With Poroshenko
- Windows 9 To Include Interactive Live Tiles and Notification Center in Metro 2.0