Toyota Regains Title As World Biggest Carmaker By Sales, Beating No. 2 General Motors
January 29, 2013 1:45 AM EST
Toyota Motor Corporation (TYO:7293) regained its status as the world’s biggest automaker by sales in 2012 after having lost the distinction to General Motors Company (NYSE:GM) the year before.
Japan’s No. 1 automaker sold 9.75 million vehicles last year, a 23 percent jump in global sales and a record for the company, while GM sold 9.29 million last year. Germany Volkswagen AG (FRA:VOW), the world’s third-largest carmaker sold 9.07 million vehicles.
GM had been selling more cars than any other company for more than 70 years before Toyota surpassed the Detroit-based manufacturer in 2008.
GM regained the No. 1 spot in 2011 when an earthquake and tsunami smashed into Japan and curtailed Toyota’s production.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
- Kendall Jenner Could Be Next Victoria's Secret Angel [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- Champions League Results: Barcelona Barely Escapes With A Win, Chelsea Fails To Hold On To The Lead [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- iPhone 6 Release Down Under – Meet The First People To Have The Newest iPhones
- Masayoshi Son Is Japan’s Richest Man As Softbank Shares Surge Ahead Of Alibaba IPO; More Millionaires Among Alibaba Employees On The Way
- Ex-Male Strippers For Rent At $125/Hour To Act As ManServants
- Alibaba Hikes IPO Price Range To $66-$68 From $60-$66
- Google Nexus 6 Release Date on Q4 2014 Confirmed by T-Mobile Featuring Wi-Fi Calling
- 2 Reasons Nexus 6 Release Date is Worth the Wait: Android L Data Encryption & Material Design
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 vs. BlackBerry Passport — Specifications, Features, Release Date And Price Showdown
- 3 Signs Apple iPhone 6 Could be in Short Supply Following its Sept 19 Release Date
- Australia Actively Rallying Support For International Coalition Against ISIS
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Update: Pangu Devs Will Outrace Evad3rs in Rollout of iPhone 6, iPad Unlocker
- Micromax Canvas A1 Vs Spice Dream Uno Vs Karbonn Sparkle V: A Choice On Which Android Is The Best