Toyota Regains Title As World Biggest Carmaker By Sales, Beating No. 2 General Motors
January 29, 2013 1:45 AM EST
Toyota Motor Corporation (TYO:7293) regained its status as the world’s biggest automaker by sales in 2012 after having lost the distinction to General Motors Company (NYSE:GM) the year before.
Japan’s No. 1 automaker sold 9.75 million vehicles last year, a 23 percent jump in global sales and a record for the company, while GM sold 9.29 million last year. Germany Volkswagen AG (FRA:VOW), the world’s third-largest carmaker sold 9.07 million vehicles.
GM had been selling more cars than any other company for more than 70 years before Toyota surpassed the Detroit-based manufacturer in 2008.
GM regained the No. 1 spot in 2011 when an earthquake and tsunami smashed into Japan and curtailed Toyota’s production.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Taylor Swift Named Forbes' Second Highest Paid Country Musician [PHOTOS]
- Forever Lost: Indescribable Anguish for Malaysia Airlines MH17 Families, Remains of Some Victims May Never Be Found (PHOTOS)
- Global Aviation Accidents: UN to Form Safety Task Force, Gov'ts Should Share Intelligence Info to Avert Future Incidents on Flying Over Warzones (PHOTOS)
- PageSix: Beyonce & Jay Z Union is Not About Love, All About Business & the Brand
Join the Conversation
- Toyota Tops World Sales of Cars, Sells Over 5K Million Vehicles in First Half of 2014
- New Malaysia Airlines Caught in Adelaide Airport Latest Scare
- Man Swindles Apple for $309,768 in 16 States
- Air New Zealand Pays $1000 to NZ9 Passengers After Three-Night Delay
- Formula 1 Chief Sues Google over Sex Party Pictures
- Samsung Galaxy S5 Alpha Leaks Online: Release Date, Five Features to Wait for New Smart Phone
- Photos of Motorola Moto X+1 Prototype and Specs Leak Online, Release Date, Four Fresh Features Revealed
- Sony Xperia Z3: Release Date, Five Features to Expect from New Android Smart Phone
- Top Surprising Features Of iOS 8
- Top 4 Reasons Why iPhone 6 Will Hit Big Soon After its Sept 2014 Release Date
- Freshly Leaked Apple iPad Air 2 Cases Confirm Touch ID Sensor; Release Date, Limited Specs and Price Listed
- 5 Food Scandals That Shocked The World