Bank of England's Miles plays down need for remit change
January 29, 2013 12:21 AM EST
The Bank of England does not need to give more guidance on the direction of monetary policy, and suspending its inflation target could be justified only "in exceptional circumstances", a senior policymaker said on Monday.
David Miles, an external member of the Monetary Policy Committee, played down the need for the Bank to adopt the kind of longer-term guidance favoured by the Bank of Canada, whose governor, Mark Carney, will take the top job at the Bank in July.
"I think we are able in the current framework to give plenty of guidance about our thinking and how we see the economy evolving," he told the Evening Standard newspaper.
"I don't think it would be helpful for the MPC to say here is where policy is going to be for the next several months. If we did that there wouldn't be any point in having monthly meetings," he added.
Miles said that a growth target for the Bank - another idea that has been associated with Carney in the past - could only ever be an emergency measure.
"As a temporary measure in exceptional circumstances there may be things to be said for it. I think I would need to be convinced that there were obvious advantages it gave you that you couldn't have with what I would describe as our current regime of flexible inflation targeting," he said.
(Reporting by David Milliken and Olesya Dmitracova)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Prince William & Kate Middleton Caught Flirting In A Countryside Dinner Date [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton’s Mom Accused Of Being A Social Climber, Prince George Not Seen By Relatives
- Angelina Jolie & Brad Pitt’s Top Secret Wedding Tramps Jennifer Aniston’s ‘Friends’ Reunion & Pregnancy Talks [PHOTOS]
- 2014 US Open: Hottest Male Tennis Players To Watch [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Pricey iPhone 6 on Release Date Likely but with 3X Retina Resolution & Mobile Payment Service – Reports
- 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 is iPhone Air on Sept 19 Release Date: 5 Things to Consider Before Buying
- Google Nexus 8 Confirmed as HTC T1 aka Volantis/Flounder with Freshly-Leaked Specs & Features – Reports
- Nexus 6 Release Date Update: Moto X+1 Look Leaked, Nexus X or Shamu Moved to Demo Phase
- Europe, US Next on ISIS’ Hit List, Says Saudi King; Seized ISIS Laptop Reveals Terrifying Bio-Warfare Plans
- iPhone 6 On Release Date To Feature Qualcomm MDM9625M LTE, 1GB RAM, Mobile Payment Deal With AMEX, 1334x750 Display
- Leaker of Actresses Nude Photos Accepting PayPal Donations in Exchange For Posting Alleged Sex Video of Jennifer Lawrence, Has Naked Pictures of 100 Hollywood A-Listers