AIG talking to big investors on AIA IPO: sources
August 12, 2010 9:48 PM EST
American International Group Inc has started talks with potential investors to sell stakes in its Asian life insurance business AIA ahead of AIA's planned IPO, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said.
Several financial investors, including Temasek Holdings
Earlier, the Financial Times said in a report that AIG may place as much as 30 percent of AIA with institutional investors and wealthy tycoons, rather than offer them minor stakes in an initial public offering.
AIG is aiming to list AIA on the Hong Kong stock exchange by the fourth quarter of this year and the IPO is expected to raise about $15 billion.
"Some preliminary talks have taken place in response to interest from some investors," one source said.
The sources declined to be identified as the talks are private.
Temasek declined to comment, while other institutions named in this story could not be reached immediately for comment.
Chinese insurance companies and some of that country's largest banks are also looking at taking stakes and financing others, the newspaper said.
AIG spokeswoman Christina Pretto declined to comment.
An IPO of AIA, whose full name is American International Assurance, could raise about $15 billion, and help AIG pay down sums owed to the U.S. government after a series of federal bailouts.
Shares of AIG closed on Wednesday down $2.35, or 5.8 percent, at $37.84 on the New York Stock Exchange in a weak overall market.
(Additional reporting by Saeed Azhar in SINGAPORE; Reporting by Denny Thomas and Kennix Chim in Hong Kong, Maria Aspan and Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Gary Hill and Muralikumar Anantharaman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- British Style Icon Kate Middleton Fashion Talk With Camilla Parker-Bowles Daughter-In-Law [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- 4.7-Inch, 5.5-Inch iPhone 6 Models Confirmed with Similar Build, Cam Features & 300+ Screen Pixels on Release Date
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- ISIS: More Journalists Beheading To Come After James Foley and Steven Sotloff [Video]
- Moto X+1 is Likely Nexus 6 Template; Motorola Shamu is 1st Android Silver with Snapdragon 810 – Reports
- James Foley: More Chilling Information Revealed By Escaped Journalists
- James Foley’s Executioner Has British Accent—A Chilling Reminder That ISIS Has Foreign Members
- Xiaomi Mi4 vs iPhone 6: Why Forecasts Favor Mi4 as The Next Best Phone Against iPhone 6