AIG talking to big investors on AIA IPO: sources
August 12, 2010 9:48 PM EST
American International Group Inc has started talks with potential investors to sell stakes in its Asian life insurance business AIA ahead of AIA's planned IPO, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said.
Several financial investors, including Temasek Holdings
Earlier, the Financial Times said in a report that AIG may place as much as 30 percent of AIA with institutional investors and wealthy tycoons, rather than offer them minor stakes in an initial public offering.
AIG is aiming to list AIA on the Hong Kong stock exchange by the fourth quarter of this year and the IPO is expected to raise about $15 billion.
"Some preliminary talks have taken place in response to interest from some investors," one source said.
The sources declined to be identified as the talks are private.
Temasek declined to comment, while other institutions named in this story could not be reached immediately for comment.
Chinese insurance companies and some of that country's largest banks are also looking at taking stakes and financing others, the newspaper said.
AIG spokeswoman Christina Pretto declined to comment.
An IPO of AIA, whose full name is American International Assurance, could raise about $15 billion, and help AIG pay down sums owed to the U.S. government after a series of federal bailouts.
Shares of AIG closed on Wednesday down $2.35, or 5.8 percent, at $37.84 on the New York Stock Exchange in a weak overall market.
(Additional reporting by Saeed Azhar in SINGAPORE; Reporting by Denny Thomas and Kennix Chim in Hong Kong, Maria Aspan and Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Gary Hill and Muralikumar Anantharaman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- Still The World Champions: Team USA Overpowers Serbia, 129-92 To Win 2014 FIBA World Cup [PHOTOS]
- Pope Francis: World War III Has Started On Piecemeal
- After Win Over Maidana, Mayweather Says He Is Prepared To Negotiate A Fight With Pacquiao
- From Fat To Fit: Celebrities Who Were Overweight Before They Became The Beauties That They Are
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Google Release Roundup: Nexus 5 2014, Nexus 6, Nexus 8 and Android L Killer Features
- Samsung Attacks iPhone 6 Plus Through New Galaxy Note 4 Commercial: Apple Claims Imitating Galaxy Note Phablets
- Pregnant Kate Middleton May Call Off Malta Trip Due To Sickness: Royal Couple Will Move To Anmer Hall Residence
- iPhone 6 And IPhone 6 Plus Sold Out, New Stocks To Arrive In October
- Moto G (Gen 2) vs. Xiaomi Redmi 1S—Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- Nexus 6, 8 Release Dates Imminent as Moto X Pre-Order Begins & Nexus 7 Deals Ramp Up
- iPhone 6 And iPhone 6 Plus Shipping Has Begun, Expected To Reach Customers’ Doorstep On Sept 19 Launch Date