AIG talking to big investors on AIA IPO: sources
August 12, 2010 9:48 PM EST
American International Group Inc has started talks with potential investors to sell stakes in its Asian life insurance business AIA ahead of AIA's planned IPO, sources with direct knowledge of the matter said.
Several financial investors, including Temasek Holdings
Earlier, the Financial Times said in a report that AIG may place as much as 30 percent of AIA with institutional investors and wealthy tycoons, rather than offer them minor stakes in an initial public offering.
AIG is aiming to list AIA on the Hong Kong stock exchange by the fourth quarter of this year and the IPO is expected to raise about $15 billion.
"Some preliminary talks have taken place in response to interest from some investors," one source said.
The sources declined to be identified as the talks are private.
Temasek declined to comment, while other institutions named in this story could not be reached immediately for comment.
Chinese insurance companies and some of that country's largest banks are also looking at taking stakes and financing others, the newspaper said.
AIG spokeswoman Christina Pretto declined to comment.
An IPO of AIA, whose full name is American International Assurance, could raise about $15 billion, and help AIG pay down sums owed to the U.S. government after a series of federal bailouts.
Shares of AIG closed on Wednesday down $2.35, or 5.8 percent, at $37.84 on the New York Stock Exchange in a weak overall market.
(Additional reporting by Saeed Azhar in SINGAPORE; Reporting by Denny Thomas and Kennix Chim in Hong Kong, Maria Aspan and Jonathan Stempel in New York; Editing by Gary Hill and Muralikumar Anantharaman)
Most Popular Slideshows
- NFL MNF: Pittsburgh Steelers 30, Houston Texans 23 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series Game 1: San Francisco Giants 7, Kansas City Royals 1 [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MLB World Series - Game 2: Kansas City Royals 7, San Francisco Giants 2 [PHOTOS]
- NFL Thursday Recap - Denver Broncos 35, San Diego Chargers 21: Peyton Manning Has 3 TDs In Easy Win [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Tourre on stand says email in SEC case 'not accurate'
- Syrian authorities blocking access to needy in Homs - Red Cross
- Faith in European Union at low ebb, EU poll says
- Former UBS banker gets 18 months, $1 million fine, for muni bid-rigging scheme
- U.S. judge halts challenges to Detroit's bankruptcy bid
- Xiaomi Redmi 1S vs. Sharp Aquos Crystal – Specifications, Features And Price Showdown
- ASUS Releases A Teaser Indicating The Arrival of New Zenfone and ZenWatch On October 28
- Boy Stoned To Death For Alleged Rape, Victim Receives Dowry From Militants
- Three Dual SIM Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Duos Variants Comes To China
- Update HTC One M7 with LG G2 with Android 4.4.2 as Sprint OTA: Fixes and Installation
- Russia is Creating Underwater Combat Robots to Protect its Arctic Territories
- Verizon Motorola Droid Turbo Leaked Live Images Surfaces, Scheduled To Get Unveiled On Oct 28