Intel to Wind up Desktop Motherboard Business in Next Three Years
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 11:05 PM EST
Chip maker Intel Corp has decided to ramp up its production of desktop motherboards in the next three years to focus on the upcoming market.
Intel Corp, which has been part of the PC motherboard business for the past 20 years, will stop the production of desktop motherboards after the release of its next generation CPU chips codenamed "Haswell", the company spokesperson Dan Snyder told PCWorld.
It was said that the company will continue to extend its support to all products sold through warranties.The company will now shift its focus to tablets and smartphones.
"Separately, we started production on our next generation micro-architecture product, code-named Haswell, which we expect to qualify for sale in the first quarter," said Stacy J. Smith, Intel's senior vice president and chief financial officer.
Intel had reported fourth quarter revenue of $13.5 billion last week which is down by three percent compared to the previous year.
"Fourth quarter revenue of $13.5B was down 3% year over year.Relative to historical seasonal growthin the fourth quarter, revenue was impacted by softness in PC demand and continued reduction of inventories across the supply chain as OEMs reduce inventory on older generation products. Gross margin dropped from the third quarter to 58%," Intel said.
Other chip makers like Asus and Gigabyte will continue production of PC motherboards.
"Intel expects the broad and capable [desktop] motherboard ecosystem...Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and many others...to fully support Intel's growing roadmap and large worldwide customer base," Intel said as quoted by CNet.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- 4 Killer Android Features Apple Fans Would Love to Get Come the iPhone 6 Release Date
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display