Chelsea Transfer Rumour: Blues Face Setback in Midfielder Chase
By IBTimes Staff Reporter | January 28, 2013 10:34 PM EST
Chelsea will have to shell out £15m to sign Brazilian midfielder Paulinho, according to his club. The 24-year-old Corinthians star is believed to be a target for both the Blues and Premier League champions Manchester City, with Italian club Inter Milan also hovering.
A report by talkSport indicates Corinthians' valuation of their player is aimed at discouraging mid-season bids for his services and is an attempt to hold on to him till the end of the season, at the very least.
News of a raised valuation of the player is not likely to please the two English clubs but they will probably be happy to know it should rule Inter out as competition. The Nerazzurri's president, Massimo Moratti, has confirmed the asking price is higher than his club would be willing to consider and has ruled out a mid-season approach for Paulinho.
"Does Paulinho cost too much, or is it something that could actually come to fruition? There's no doubt that he costs too much," Moratti said, while discussing another Brazilian - Philippe Coutinho - and his transfer to Liverpool.
City's reported interest was revealed early in December, after the derby defeat to Manchester United. It was believed then that the absence of key midfielder Yaya Toure (the Ivory Coast international is away with his national team for the 2013 African Cup of Nations) in January would prompt a move for Paulinho.
Finally, Chelsea may consider a move for Paulinho (either now or in the summer) with a view to replace England star Frank Lampard in their line-up. The 34-year-old veteran midfielder is out of contract in the summer and will leave Stamford Bridge.
However, despite all the rumoured interest, Corinthians' director of sport, Roberto de Andrade has denied any contact for Paulinho.
"I can assure you we have not received any offers from Italy, nor from Chelsea for our player," he told Calciomercato over the weekend.
Benitez: Three Match Ban Enough for Hazard
Belgian forward Eden Hazard may face more than a three-match ban for his part in the incident involving a Swansea City ballboy last week. Chelsea were in Wales to play the second leg of their Capital One Cup tie and were trailing 0-2 on aggregate with less than 20 minutes to go, when a 17-year-old ballboy (identified as Charlie Morgan) appeared to fall over the ball and waste time before returning it to play.
Hazard tried to kick the ball out from under Morgan but may have made contact with the boy instead. The referee showed him a straight red card after the incident, meaning the 22-year-old faces an automatic three-match ban.
The west London club's manager, Rafael Benitez, believes the automatic ban is sufficient.
"... we will accept that three games is enough. For a player that was in a cup competition, with this intensity and in the way that things are going on, I think that a three-game ban is enough. I have a lot of images but I think that, for a professional, and for the club, we have already lost the player at the end of the game, we will lose the player at least for three games," the ex-Liverpool boss said.
However, the Guardian reports the FA's disciplinary department is to review video evidence of the incident and may add to the size of the ban. The report adds Chelsea are likely to contest any such extra punishment.
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Kristen Stewart Moving On With Nicholas Hoult, Jennifer Lawrence Dating Chris Martin – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Kate Middleton Suffocated in Kensington Palace, Queen Elizabeth Reported War With The Duchess [PHOTOS]
- 2014 MTV Video Music Awards: Everything To Know [PHOTOS]
- Chris Martin Dating Reports: Jennifer Lawrence Vs Gwyneth Paltrow [PHOTOS]
Join the Conversation
- WWE SummerSlam Results & Highlights: Brock Lesnar vs. John Cena, Roman Reigns vs. Randy Orton
- Tim Tebow Stars in SEC Network Commercial
- Fernando Alonso Describes Michael Schumacher as the Strongest Opponent He Has Faced in F1
- Rafael Nadal Will Miss 2014 US Open; Roger Federer Looking to Pounce on Rival
- Serena Williams and Patrick Mouratoglou Break-up Unlikely, Coach Posts Instagram Photos of Girlfriend
- Robin Williams Goodbye Video Hoax: Facebook Users Warned of Celebrity Suicide Exploitation
- ISIS Posts Graphic Beheading Video of US Journalist James Foley
- Nexus 6 Release Date Dilemma with Motorola Shamu Details Pointing to Better Smartphone and Killer Features
- After James Foley, ISIL Threatens to Behead Another American Journalist Steven Sotloff
- Saudi Arabia: Brothers Beheaded For Smuggling Marijuana Into The Kingdom
- Moto X Android 4.4.4 KitKat Update Guide: AT&T/Sprint Release and When to Hit Your Region
- Motorola Moto X+1 On Release Date To Come With Snapdragon 800 Processor, 2 GB RAM, 4K Recording And 5.2-Inch Display