Arsenal Want Barcelona Forward as Wenger Reveals Need for Reinforcements – Report
By Adrian Back | January 28, 2013 10:27 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has made it clear that he would like to sign another striker in the January transfer window as Arsenal are once again linked with a bid for Barcelona forward David Villa.
The Spanish striker was left out of the Copa Del Ray victory over Malaga last week but did start the 5-1 win over Osasuna on Sunday and duly provided an assist for Lionel Messi who grabbed the headlines with four goals.
Villa has featured in 14 league games this season but has continually found himself limited to the bench in bigger games. This has led to suggestions he is ready to leave the Camp Nou, though Barcelona appear reluctant to allow him to leave this month.
However, the Metro believe that Arsenal will attempt to persuade the Catalan side to part with the striker after Wenger admitted the need for another forward to arrive at the club.
Asked if the Gunners needed a striker, Wenger said: "Quality-wise, no. But number-wise we are maybe a bit short. It will not be easy, though, because you do not find strikers who are good enough to play for us on the street."
Villa certainly has the pedigree that Wenger would be looking for, having won just about every trophy possible at both club and international level.
He has still managed to score 12 goals in all competitions for club and county and has for a long time been regarded as one of the top finishers in world football.
The Metro believes that Barcelona will demand somewhere in the region of £10million for the 31-year-old which Arsenal may be reluctant to spend on a player who did most all of last season through injury.
Arsenal's summer signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski have certainly impressed this season but to compete with the likes of Manchester United and neighbours City, it appears you need at least four top class strikers in your squad.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Flight MH17 Attack: Russians Claim 'Putin A Terrorist,' Memorial at Dutch Embassy Overflows [PHOTOS]
- Typhoon Rammasun Claims 18 Lives in China, Incurs $4.32B Losses (PHOTOS)
- Ellen DeGeneres Caught Cheating with Mutual Friend Before Portia de Rossi’s Rehab – Reports [PHOTOS]
- Malaysia Airlines MH17: Vital Black Boxes Finally Land in Hands of Malaysian Authorities, Rebels Announce Ceasefire (PHOTOS/VIDEOS)
Join the Conversation
- Roger Federer Tops Forbes’ List of Most Financially Valuable Athlete; Maria Sharapova and Li Na Also Make the Cut
- Eugenie Bouchard Fires Warning To Serena Williams; She Wants No.1 Ranking
- Transfer News: Real Madrid Unveil Galactico James Rodriguez [PHOTOS]
- Roger Federer Regains Deadly Service Game - Andy Roddick
- Arsenal FC Transfer News: Lionel Messi's Gunners Link a Ploy to Receive Improved Deal
- Samsung Galaxy Note 4 Apps Leak Online, Five Fresh Features to Expect from the Android Smartphone
- Moto 360 Price Speculations, Key Features, Strategic Release Date, Design: A Watch That is More Than Just Time
- Windows Phone 8.1 Update Rollout: 20 Nokia Lumia Phones Eligible and 13 New Features to be Added
- Three New Moto G Successors Spotted in FCC Document Dubbed Moto G2, Moto M and More --Reports
- iPad Air 2 Release Date Will Skip IGZO Panel; To Rollout with Super-Slim iPad Mini Air
- Upcoming iPad Mini 3 Could be 30% Thinner and Likely be Called iPad Mini Air; Apple Q3 Results Show 9% Decrease in iPad Sales
- Sony Xperia M2 vs. Moto G – Specifications, Features and Price Showdown