Arsenal Want Barcelona Forward as Wenger Reveals Need for Reinforcements – Report
By Adrian Back | January 28, 2013 10:27 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has made it clear that he would like to sign another striker in the January transfer window as Arsenal are once again linked with a bid for Barcelona forward David Villa.
The Spanish striker was left out of the Copa Del Ray victory over Malaga last week but did start the 5-1 win over Osasuna on Sunday and duly provided an assist for Lionel Messi who grabbed the headlines with four goals.
Villa has featured in 14 league games this season but has continually found himself limited to the bench in bigger games. This has led to suggestions he is ready to leave the Camp Nou, though Barcelona appear reluctant to allow him to leave this month.
However, the Metro believe that Arsenal will attempt to persuade the Catalan side to part with the striker after Wenger admitted the need for another forward to arrive at the club.
Asked if the Gunners needed a striker, Wenger said: "Quality-wise, no. But number-wise we are maybe a bit short. It will not be easy, though, because you do not find strikers who are good enough to play for us on the street."
Villa certainly has the pedigree that Wenger would be looking for, having won just about every trophy possible at both club and international level.
He has still managed to score 12 goals in all competitions for club and county and has for a long time been regarded as one of the top finishers in world football.
The Metro believes that Barcelona will demand somewhere in the region of £10million for the 31-year-old which Arsenal may be reluctant to spend on a player who did most all of last season through injury.
Arsenal's summer signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski have certainly impressed this season but to compete with the likes of Manchester United and neighbours City, it appears you need at least four top class strikers in your squad.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Mayweather vs. Pacquiao Purse Split: $100M For American, $60M For Filipino— Report
- Amir Khan Addresses Roach’s Comments That Pacquiao Used To Knock Out The Bolton-Born Boxer During Sparring Sessions
- Boxing Analyst John Scully Says Floyd Mayweather Is Slipping But Manny Pacquiao Won’t Win In Super Fight In 2015
- Meet Paige VanZant, The Next UFC Sensation In The Women's Division
- Michael Schumacher Condition: Manager Sabine Kehm Says The 7-Time World Champion Is Making ‘Progress Appropriate To The Severity Of His Situation’
- Russia Is Ready for Shooting War, Will Likely Win Looming Nuclear Showdown with U.S. – Report
- Microsoft Band Runs Out Of Stock, But Offers $10 Gift Voucher To Wait-Listed Customers
- Google Joins Forces with GoPro Inc with New Google Maps Focusing on Destination
- Target Early Black Friday 2014 Sale Ad Released For Nov. 26, 2014 Includes Deals On Toys, HDTVs And Video Games Such As ‘FIFA 15’ And ‘NHL 15’ For Xbox 360 [WATCH VIDEO]
- 16GB iPhone 6 for $99 at Sam’s Club is the Best 2014 Black Friday Deal Around
- Lumia Update Will Come Soon Confirms Microsoft
- Nuclear War: Putin Certain To Launch Battle To Avoid Corruption Charges, Whistleblower Claims