Arsenal Want Barcelona Forward as Wenger Reveals Need for Reinforcements – Report
By Adrian Back | January 28, 2013 10:27 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has made it clear that he would like to sign another striker in the January transfer window as Arsenal are once again linked with a bid for Barcelona forward David Villa.
The Spanish striker was left out of the Copa Del Ray victory over Malaga last week but did start the 5-1 win over Osasuna on Sunday and duly provided an assist for Lionel Messi who grabbed the headlines with four goals.
Villa has featured in 14 league games this season but has continually found himself limited to the bench in bigger games. This has led to suggestions he is ready to leave the Camp Nou, though Barcelona appear reluctant to allow him to leave this month.
However, the Metro believe that Arsenal will attempt to persuade the Catalan side to part with the striker after Wenger admitted the need for another forward to arrive at the club.
Asked if the Gunners needed a striker, Wenger said: "Quality-wise, no. But number-wise we are maybe a bit short. It will not be easy, though, because you do not find strikers who are good enough to play for us on the street."
Villa certainly has the pedigree that Wenger would be looking for, having won just about every trophy possible at both club and international level.
He has still managed to score 12 goals in all competitions for club and county and has for a long time been regarded as one of the top finishers in world football.
The Metro believes that Barcelona will demand somewhere in the region of £10million for the 31-year-old which Arsenal may be reluctant to spend on a player who did most all of last season through injury.
Arsenal's summer signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski have certainly impressed this season but to compete with the likes of Manchester United and neighbours City, it appears you need at least four top class strikers in your squad.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Join the Conversation
- Manny Pacquiao vs. Chris Algieri Betting Odds: American Knockout Of Filipino Pays $10,000 From A $100 Bet
- 2014 Davis Cup Final: Switzerland Vs. France - Roger Federer Vs. Gael Monfils Live Streaming Info and Preview
- Brooklyn Nets Agree to Grant Andrei Kirilenko Indefinite Leave of Absence
- Michael Schumacher Update: Rep Responds To Streiff’s Comments—‘He’s Neither A Friend Nor Has He Ever Visited Him’
- LA Lakers: Kobe Bryant Attributes Past Outburst Against Dwight Howard To 'Heat Of The Moment,' Doesn't Feel The Same Way As Durant Does
- Black Friday 2014 Sale: Top Deals On Game Consoles Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Wii U And More
- Walmart Pre-Black Friday 2014 Sale On Nov. 21, 2014 Includes Discounts On The 'NBA 2K15' For PS4 And The 'Skylanders Trap Team’ Starter Kit [WATCH VIDEO]
- More Bad News for Android 5.0 Lollipop As Problems Come In for Nexus and Other Devices
- BlackBerry Classic (aka Q20) Keyboard Shortcuts Explained In A Quick Video
- US To Supply Defensive Lethal Weapons To Kiev – A Vey Alarming Signal, Says Russia
- Amazon Black Friday 2014 Deals Start On Nov. 21, 2014 Including Limited-Time Lightning Deals And Deals Of The Day On Clothes, Toys, Jewelry, Watches, Bags, Accessories And Electronics
- Samsung Galaxy Note Edge Battery Life Test Shows Its Curved Display And Build Has Impacted Its Battery Performance