Arsenal Want Barcelona Forward as Wenger Reveals Need for Reinforcements – Report
By Adrian Back | January 28, 2013 10:27 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has made it clear that he would like to sign another striker in the January transfer window as Arsenal are once again linked with a bid for Barcelona forward David Villa.
The Spanish striker was left out of the Copa Del Ray victory over Malaga last week but did start the 5-1 win over Osasuna on Sunday and duly provided an assist for Lionel Messi who grabbed the headlines with four goals.
Villa has featured in 14 league games this season but has continually found himself limited to the bench in bigger games. This has led to suggestions he is ready to leave the Camp Nou, though Barcelona appear reluctant to allow him to leave this month.
However, the Metro believe that Arsenal will attempt to persuade the Catalan side to part with the striker after Wenger admitted the need for another forward to arrive at the club.
Asked if the Gunners needed a striker, Wenger said: "Quality-wise, no. But number-wise we are maybe a bit short. It will not be easy, though, because you do not find strikers who are good enough to play for us on the street."
Villa certainly has the pedigree that Wenger would be looking for, having won just about every trophy possible at both club and international level.
He has still managed to score 12 goals in all competitions for club and county and has for a long time been regarded as one of the top finishers in world football.
The Metro believes that Barcelona will demand somewhere in the region of £10million for the 31-year-old which Arsenal may be reluctant to spend on a player who did most all of last season through injury.
Arsenal's summer signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski have certainly impressed this season but to compete with the likes of Manchester United and neighbours City, it appears you need at least four top class strikers in your squad.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
- Derek Jeter With The New York Yankees Through The Years [IN PICTURES]
- George Clooney And Amal Alamuddin's Wedding In Venice: Photos Of Groom And His Family, Friends [Slideshow]
- NFL Recap - Week 4: Green Bay Packers 38, Chicago Bears 17 [PHOTOS]
- Melanoma Could Be Caused By Ageing Genes; Best Diet For Anti-Ageing; Celebrities Who Have Aged Gracefully
Join the Conversation
- Rafael Nadal Back In Action To Target Novak Djokovic At China Open
- Bruce Jenner Says Lamar Odom Should Follow His Heart If He Wants To Get Back Together With Khloe Kardashian
- Maria Sharapova On Relationship With Grigor Dimitrov: ‘Everything Is Great’; Dimitrov Was Present At Sharapova’s First Round Match In China
- Green Bay Packers Vs. Chicago Bears Live Streaming Info And Preview
- Grigor Dimitrov Turns To Novak Djokovic For Love Advice; Dimitrov and Sharapova At The 2014 China Open
- Forget Nexus 6 Release Date, Android Phones Will Soon Showcase Pure Google Apps & Features
- Boxing News 2014: Social Media War Between Boxers Continues As Pacquiao Repeats Comment That Mayweather Acts Like Uneducated Person, While Ignoring ‘Miss Pac Man’ Post
- Galaxy Note 4 Pre Order Starts in the US, Get Samsung Note Ahead of October 14 Release
- $249.99 Motorola Moto 360 Smartwatch's First Promo Out; 'Stone Leather' Replaces 'Gray Leather' - Available In BestBuy [Watch Video]
- BlackBerry Passport Sold Out As Preorders Reached 200,000
- iOS 8 And iOS 8.0.2 Security Flaw Revealed, Anyone Can Easily Bypass Touch ID And Passcode Security Features
- Australia Cracks Down On International Money Laundering Syndicate