Arsenal Want Barcelona Forward as Wenger Reveals Need for Reinforcements – Report
By Adrian Back | January 28, 2013 10:27 PM EST
Arsene Wenger has made it clear that he would like to sign another striker in the January transfer window as Arsenal are once again linked with a bid for Barcelona forward David Villa.
The Spanish striker was left out of the Copa Del Ray victory over Malaga last week but did start the 5-1 win over Osasuna on Sunday and duly provided an assist for Lionel Messi who grabbed the headlines with four goals.
Villa has featured in 14 league games this season but has continually found himself limited to the bench in bigger games. This has led to suggestions he is ready to leave the Camp Nou, though Barcelona appear reluctant to allow him to leave this month.
However, the Metro believe that Arsenal will attempt to persuade the Catalan side to part with the striker after Wenger admitted the need for another forward to arrive at the club.
Asked if the Gunners needed a striker, Wenger said: "Quality-wise, no. But number-wise we are maybe a bit short. It will not be easy, though, because you do not find strikers who are good enough to play for us on the street."
Villa certainly has the pedigree that Wenger would be looking for, having won just about every trophy possible at both club and international level.
He has still managed to score 12 goals in all competitions for club and county and has for a long time been regarded as one of the top finishers in world football.
The Metro believes that Barcelona will demand somewhere in the region of £10million for the 31-year-old which Arsenal may be reluctant to spend on a player who did most all of last season through injury.
Arsenal's summer signings Olivier Giroud and Lukas Podolski have certainly impressed this season but to compete with the likes of Manchester United and neighbours City, it appears you need at least four top class strikers in your squad.
To report problems or to leave feedback about this article, e-mail:
To contact the editor, e-mail:
Most Popular Slideshows
Join the Conversation
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: F1 Driver's Father Says Son In A Desperate Situation
- Manny Pacquiao Chasing Floyd Mayweather Jr. Because Of Money But Says Undefeated American Is Afraid Of Filipino - Analysts
- Floyd Mayweather Trains Justin Bieber In The Boxing Ring
- Jules Bianchi Latest Update: Driver's Mother Says People 'Shirking Responsibility' About The Accident
- Novak Djokovic Aims For World No. 1 Rank In 2015, Becker Says
- iOS 8 Jailbreak Release Date Likely this October 2014 with Pangu not Evad3rs Firming Up as Creator
- Top 4 Free-To-Download Apps for Fuller iPhone 6, 6 Plus Experience
- Battery Saving Android 5.0 Lollipop Feature Extends The Battery Life Of Your Android Device By 90 Minutes And Displays Orange Bar While Power Saving Mode Is On
- Chilling: New ISIS Video Addresses Australia; Aussie Teen Delivers Message
- Apple Inc. (AAPL) Stock Set to Soar Beyond $100 Despite Decline After New iPad Launch
- Russia Beefs Up Gold Reserves To Offset Heat of Sanctions And Undercut Dollar
- Australia's 'No Way' Anti-Asylum Seeker Poster Sparks Outrage